<  General Chatting  ~  new phone time!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 1497Location: Swindon, WiltsJoined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 am
right, due an upgrade so its new phone time.

I wont be staying with tmobile, they're rubbish. if I want to upgrade to an N96 or the sony ericsson c905 they want £120 and £50 respectively. not a chance! they did offer me the google G1 thing for free with a pretty good bundle, but I've heard that phone is buggy as hell and a bit crap. if I'm gonna pay for a phone though I'll likely get an iphone, as I can get the N96 or c905 for free with other networks!

does anyone have any of these, or know a decent phone review website?

also, if anyone knows anything good/bad about the blackberry storm on vodafone, please share! it looks quite tempting at the mo!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:57 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I can't help you with any of that except to share my experience with my iPhone.

It's a really great device - but it's a pretty crap phone. No MSM, no ability to send vcards, only naverage call koala-tea, the ringer volume is pretty quiet even on its loudest, and you can't write anything without looking at the screen (so no chatting whilst composing a text).

Safari crashes quite a lot, there's no copy-and-paste, applications can't run in the background (so switching from Twitterific to Safari closes Twitterific), and Apple are evil fuckers.

But for all that, I love it. What it gets right it gets very right, and it does get a lot right.

Only other downside is the fact you'll pay an iPhone tax in that the actual contract is pretty wank - £35/m for a measly 500 sms (I went over last month, and no option offers a higher bundle), and a bazillion phone minutes I'll never use. You do get unlimited data though, which is well worth it IF you're in a 3G area. Over EDGE it's pretty slow, and over whatever the other fall-back is, it's mind bendingly useless. The GPS is useful, but it's not fast enough for use in a car - brilliant for walking though, especially if you have an application like AroundMe installed.

At the moment my iPhone is:
a calendar with reminder and alarm, a weather forcaster, a map to anywhere - with satellite imaging, a device that tells me points of interest and how to get to them (and contact numbers), a gateway to Wikipedia, a drum machine, a piano, a last.fm client from which I can stream any mukin, an IM client, a youtube gateway, a BBC iPlayer gateway, a clock, a Flickr client, a remote control for my laptop iTunes application, an eBook reader with a few books, a Tide predictor, a calculator, a stocks reporter, a camera, an Email client, a dictaphone, a facebook client, and has a few games too. Oh, and it's an iPod.

The SMS client is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:23 am
cheers. I do like the iphone, I reeeeeeeeaaaaaally like the idea of proper mobile tinternet, but unfortunately I use my phone quite alot so I'd imagine the little drawbacks you list there would piss me right off. my friend has one and has said much the same. I need a friend with an N96 though, hehe. another guy I know has just got the blackberry storm yesterday, waiting to hear back from him about it. hmmmmmmmmmm!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:14 am
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
yeah I got the 2g iphone and I have the safari issues, but nothing else jimy is listing....... think about getting a 2g iphone (edge is more than fast enough for web browsing and gprs is -ok-) where did you pick up edge jimy ? you cant get it round here, u can canarfon way.

And seriously why is everyone banging on about picture messeging ? this deserved a whole new paragraph, I've never effing $@@$@ sent one in my life !! why the fuck would ya want 2 ! lol, occasionally (and im talking less times than santa turns up per year), I receive one.....so the free tinternet takes care of viewing that then....:bow: :cry: oh dear lord wonderous !! And when I feel the need to take a pic, surely posting it on the tinternet or blog serves its purpose better, when do I ever take a pic thats so important only ONE person I want to see it ?....unless your doing rude stuff of course....so just email them? /rant /omg I had a jimy rant :P

Anyways they go for about £150 off the net now, then get yourself and O2 simplicity contract (£15month, 400mins 400 txtxs I think?) and then get the unlimited data bolt on making it 22.50 a month, job done, almost an iphone contract for muchos less, and you get an iphone

Questions ? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:58 pm
so as I need my mobile to actually do a bit of phone gubbins too, I've gone with the G1 google phone. got it today, pleasantly surprised at the minute, browsing the interwebs on it is awesomeo, and just having a little look at the Android apps store now... woop! linked it to my gmail account too, which is handy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:40 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Interesting, I like the sound of Andriod and if I heard right when watching the Gadget show it's open source so we could see a load of manufacturers releasing phones for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
you heard right indeed sir! few niggley bits at the minute but its half down to me being a dullard :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:49 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
If you have a spare half hour, Stephen Fry has a fantastic (and humourous) roundup of the Android phone, and two Blackberries.

http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/2008/12/ ... %E2%80%A6/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am
User avatarPosts: 143Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 pm
Okay guys - this little application has me itching to get an Iphone now! If you are a Knight Rider geek, then you'll love this!

http://www.p13development.com/index.php ... phonerider

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Had no idea where to put this, so here will do!

Anyone else feeling that OS 3.0 on 3G (not S) is dog, dog slow? I found a lot of the OS 3 addons useful if a little tacked-on - stuff like copy and paste is really useful but God does it look messy - but the main problem is how bloody lethargic the phone is now! Landscape texts are great (apart from another messy thing, the fact the keyboard is so big you can only see one line of your reply at a time) but I never use it because it takes 2 or 3 seconds to spin the bloody keyboard around... soooo slooooow!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:59 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Perhaps this is the reason the 3GS has faster hardware?

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:18 pm
I wonder that myself... Wondering if OS 3 is so optimised for the 3GS that it's bogged the 3G a little...

Either that or perhaps the 3GS is now "faster" than previous iPhones because they've slowed down the 3G so bloody much :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:19 pm
Hearing some hilarious "fixes" for OS3 slowness, including downloading a specific drawing App, firing it up, changing line thickness and then closing it. Your iPhone should then run nice and fast until you next open Safari. Another was to disable Mail push...

Sounding more and more like the sorts of fixes you get for Windows and I am desperate to see a Macfan try and defend them online somewhere! Hehe!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Thats strange in all honesty my 2g iphone is faster and has a longer battery life with iphone 3.0 software.