<  Workshop  ~  Project "I'm in over my head"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:35 pm
I sold my red RX7 (in sig) last September in favour of more economical talk powers in the shape of a VW Pissrat (bargain 1k car, 173k miles and doesn't miss a beat!). Several months later I got the itch again but didn't want to spend thousands in one go so thought I'd try out this new fangled 'project' lark that so many do now. Had to get another FD though :mrgreen:

On the way back from near Dartford, said Pissrat making mincemeat of the long journey

Features involves a weld in cage, Mocal oil coolers, Tein HA coilovers and a few other bits. Missing alot though, namely an engine! The car also came with blinging lambo style doors powered by an over the top hydraulic pump shown here. Anyone want to buy it?!

So far I've removed all the hydraulics lines, the pump, the electrics for the doors, ABS system, oil coolers and various other gubbins that won't be needed from both inside and outside the car. I still need to drop out the excessively large custom fuel tank (some 120 litres!!) out of the boot and cut out the hydraulics from the inner wing and bin the doors.

Got a few bits on order, new doors should be arriving in the next week or 2, need to take off the coilovers as they'll need refurbing and I've started getting some adjustable suspension bits together, trailing arms that sort of thing.

I think this is going to keep me going for some time!

www.tuneruk.com
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 1497Location: Swindon, WiltsJoined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 am
looks nice, bar the rice-tastic doors and uber-ridiculous hydraulic pump!!! plus its black, which is always good, I cant think of any cars that look bad in black. shame its such a shit to keep clean :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Very nice Ian! Looks like a strange concoction of mods on it, has it had a few owners that have done those?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:15 am
MWF wrote:
Very nice Ian! Looks like a strange concoction of mods on it, has it had a few owners that have done those?

It was originally built as a demo/show car for an RX7 parts companyand actually made it to TOTB many moons ago but they had problems with the engine mapping. In the end the owner lost heart with the project and it's been sat around for a couple of years gathering dust until I picked it up!

There are some strange mods, partly set up for track (top spec coilovers, weld in cage), partly for show (fancy doors etc) and just partly ridiculous. Why anyone would want a 120 litre fuel tank I don't know, it probably doubled the weight of the car when full!

www.tuneruk.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
That's what I was thinking, the weld in cage and coilovers couldn't be contrasted more with the lambo doors.

You think the tank may have been to take part in the Gumball or something?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:58 am
MWF wrote:

You think the tank may have been to take part in the Gumball or something?

Could be possible, why you want to do an endurance rally type event in a car which returns 15mpg on a motorway run though I don't know! lol

As a side note, there is a very good chance I will be putting a V8 into this :)

www.tuneruk.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 am
Oh really? What type of v8? The low bonnet will be fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm
LS1 probably, 5.7, can't remember what they're out of. It's a pretty common conversion though.

This is one with an LS2 engine, still using the standard bonnet...

www.tuneruk.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 pm
Nice!

LS1 is effectively Corvette/Manaro IFAIK

Injection system clearly helps with clearance with the manifold intake right at the front. Someone in the XROC put a Ford V8 in a Sierra and he struggled to fit the carb and filter under the bonnet, but with a carb you need it all stacked vertical.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 pm
Removed all the engine loom, fiddly ain't the word!
Drivers door is off!!
The door hydraulics that need cutting out

Also brought part of the dash home with me that I'm going to have a bit of a play with fiberglass and see about coming up with some kind of custom display using a stack dash instead of the standard taco and speedo.

www.tuneruk.com
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 pm
OOF very interested in the dash board ideas, you worked with fiberglass before?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:49 pm
MWF wrote:
OOF very interested in the dash board ideas, you worked with fiberglass before?

No but the dash I've pulled out is broken anyway, so going to practise on it and see how it turns out. It's only ideas at the moment just going to have a play with some templates and see what works and what doesn't before I fiberglass my hands to the dash!

www.tuneruk.com
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:31 am
LOL

I've done a bit with fiberglass. The hardest bit is making a nice smooth base to work from imo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:12 pm
New bits ahoy!

Carbon fiber rear diffuser and new doors!

www.tuneruk.com
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 am
Nice diffuser!!! OOF!