<  Workshop  ~  Replacing engine in Mk2 Golf GTi 16v

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:39 pm
User avatarL33t n3rdPosts: 765Location: O-townJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
As some of you may know, I blew the oil pump on my valver engine about 3 weeks ago. Why it went at 100mph in 4th gear when the engine has done 177k I don't know :drink: :drink: :drink:

I went out the very next day and got a new oil pump... unfortunately, the factors gave me one for a digital fuel injection 16v and so the shaft was completely wrong. I mean, do I look like the kind of guy that minces about with half of PC world running my engine?

So, I get the right pump and I set about gathering a mother of a torque wrench and some bearings to crack on:

Here are my old shells, and my ULTRA BARN TECHNIQUE dinner knife I bent into a curve to hook out the top bearings with. Yes, I tried to do the main bearings with the engine still in the car. :shock:

Anyhoo, the shells were warped harder than MWF's frame of mind, so I sourced a rebuilt lump (show car engine on about 10k) and bought it. I had a pic of this in the back of my Fiat Uno but it was just too gratuitously barn to show.

*picture deleted*

Here's the golf engine bay, everything disconnected: wiring loom, exhaust, driveshafts, my sanity:

Yes, I _am_ proud of how shinee that inner wing came up :mrgreen: You can also see my hired help standing in the background.

As I had taken the head off the engine, I was kinda stuck as to how to attach the chain and hoist to pull out the rest of it:

I rang Miles @ Storm Developments in Basingstoke and they said a chain between the sump pan and gearbox housing (I.e. right between the two, in the ass crack if you will) would be fine, so I did that:

I had serious problems pulling it out the top of the bay as the gearbox kept catching on the chassis rails, so in the end I unbolted the front crossmember and pulled it out the front :D

Here is my uber mega hi-tech workshop aka garage floor where I barned the gearbox off the shonky lump...

And onto the new lovely engine:

You can't really see in this photo but as the new engine was taller than just my old block I had to SuperBarn a bike lock onto the chain to make the strap long enough to wrap around the whole new engine. I also tied the engine to the crane at the bottom and the side to stop harmonic resonance in the movement of the crane creating destructional vibrational damage to the engine: :cry: :cry: :cry:

They call mi Mista BarnTastic:

The driveshaft decided to go all homo and get it's inner CV ass stuck between the gearbox case and the wishbone, so I had to pull the whole hub out and away from the car to free it:

This is how it stands now, all wired back up albeit without a cooling system, just for testing purposes. Exhaust manifold blows a bit so it doesn't idle _at all_ as vw seemed to have tuned the length of the pipes so that any discrepancy in air pressure and it will just not idle. It revs like a beast though and even whistles above 4k (might be to do with loose vacuum pipe :drink:)

And this is my reward for a good weekend's work!

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:30 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Good work lad :top:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:37 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Nice pizza!

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:52 pm
Thanks guys :D

I seem to be the one of theonly people I know who is into cars that has actually done an engine swap. everyone else has done superl33t things like checked the oil or maybe even changed the filter.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:16 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Forget the engine - tell us more about the pizza...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:26 pm
Large Vegetable Supreme on Italian from the Hut.

:bow:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:00 pm
Vegetarian!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:03 pm
Yeah, those meat pizzas don't actually have meat on dude :shock:

btw, my exhaust manifold has a hairline crack and is blowing like a turbocharged whirlwind :/

anyone know if I can get some gooey sealant to bung it up with or is it a £100 new manifold job?

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Sorry but whats the point in a pizza with no meat its like alchol free larger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:33 am
User avatarPosts: 101Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:00 am
I think your basically on the lookout for a 2nd hand manifold or a new one really, don't know of any products that will do cracks in cast iron manifolds.

Allthough saying that I did have a exhaust manifold crack on a fiesta 1.1 once and I JB welded it together, somehow though I don't think that will cut it on the golf.

Ebay's probably your best bet, but 16v manifolds cracking is a common problem, so be sure to check 2nd hand units carefully, otherwise go for a nice 4 branch manifold or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 pm
yeah I might go stainless if it gets really bad.

strangely, it's not smoking anymore...theories abound to oily hands moving the manifold and then the oil burning off, sounds quite plausible?

It idles steady at 1000, so I'm hoping the exhaust is ok and it was just crap burning off.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 101Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:00 am
Ah as long as its not blowing then its just the normal junk burning off.

I'm allways very clincally clean when building engines or doing engine swaps but you allways get that wisp of smoke that makes you think Oh F**k what's leaking now, and after a while it goes.