<  Workshop  ~  Fuel Hose Opinions Needed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:52 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I need to replace some leaking fuel hose on the 4i.

Not sure if these are suitable for injection use:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/pr ... ts_id=2533

This stuff is suitable and better value put not as pretty and doesn't have the decent end caps to stop the clips cutting into the hose:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/pr ... ts_id=2538

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:10 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Are we talking about pre pump or after it?

If it's high pressure stuff... ?

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/Price ... e_110.html

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
It's post pump but nowhere near as high as 300psi. :shock:

Thanks for the link though because I've noticed they do 100psi stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Just a thought but if you are gonna be "storing" the 4i for a fairly long period like it has been so far I would assume you would be wanting to empty the petrol tank of gone off petrol and even draining the oil and various other fluids?
Then there's making sure the brakes/wheels aren't binding, having a system to make it easy to rotate the wheels in situ so you don't damage the tyres by sitting them always on the same bit of rubber... stuff like that.
Just thinking out loud really.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:24 pm
Erm...

don't see what that has to do with fuel pipe Daws?

I'll change the oil but not the petrol.

I'll have to see how the tyres have survived.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:29 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
It was only in the sense that if fuel was leaking from the pipe there must be fuel in the car is all, and then thats what triggered my thoughts about storage... I don't know much about it, maybe there is books/info on the net about it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:35 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
It's post pump but nowhere near as high as 300psi. :shock:

Thanks for the link though because I've noticed they do 100psi stuff.

I'm not sure what injection systems run at 300psi... bloody scary ones if they do. Even the mechanical Lucas system is only just over 100 psi. Just think of it as uprated I think...

The BS AU108 looks nice - 150 psi and stainless braided... (if you like that kind of thing)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:48 pm
Fairplay Daws. You really don't want to empty fuel from a car because the vapour is more destructive than the fuel. Some people will actually fill their tank up before storing a car so the filler neck doesn't rust.

Yes that stuff looks OK James, I think I will get a length of the black stuff and some clips since there may be other lines that need replacing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:03 pm
I prefer black - really no need for all this shiney stainless braid if you place them in the right place and secure them properly...

As for petrol - evil stuff - left some in a set of carbs for 6 months in 2003 and it varnished the inside and gummed it up yucky. You can get additive to add to the tank - I guess you have to run the engine to get it to circulate though - otherwise I don't know how it would get up to the injectors etc Frost do a selection.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm
I'm pretty sold on black now, nice and out the way.

I started the 4i up in summer and it seemed to run OK.

My main concern is some paintwork bubbling around the windscreen seal :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:13 pm
Summer was a long time ago though :(

What was sitting in the bottom of the float bowls was horrid stuff - redish brown yuck - needed to be really worked at to get it off. Would hate to think that was in your fuel system - especially as you also have injectors and regulators and the like.

Am worried about my car now - as it's been sitting for so long (since November) - but as all the fuel system is being replaced anyway it's no big worry. Only thing is the tank...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:37 pm
It hadn't run for a year before that James.

Fired up pretty easily too.

But that said I -am- prepared for problems. The XR4x4 was only standing for about a month or two and that shat it's fuel pump fittings off in no time when running again.

The K-Jetronic system is a very finnicky complex system too.

I will be teasing the car back into regular use I think and getting under and around it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:49 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
I will be teasing the car back into regular use I think and getting under and around it.

:banana: :banana: I can't wait to get in the 4i again. :D