<  Workshop  ~  109K's Week o' Work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:45 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
I suppose I should really update this as the car still isn't running properly a couple of months later!
Unfortunately all the fuss trying to get the car running cleaned me out financially so I have had to wait for a bit more cash to come in.
In the end for some bizarre reason the Weber refused to run on the shorter manifold and so it had to go back on the original one which meant no trumpets and no sock - really annoying after buying them purposely for this swap.
Anyway, I have been in touch with a guy who is in Club Triumph and who deals in refurbished and jetted DHLAs on eBay (and has possibly the most modded Spitfire ever, very impressive ) and he has sorted me out with a cleaned, refurbed and jetted DHLA, plus 40mm trumpets for the tidy sum of £160 with postage. He's also given me a few sets of jets so I can fiddle myself, and said if I ever want a free tune up to come and visit him sometime and he will take it out and play around for me. Very generous!
The plan then is to sell the Weber on the longer manifold (including linkage, trumpets and possibly the sock too) as a kit on eBay - it is pretty much ready to bolt on and go to a Spitfire or the 1500 Midget, it just depends on the jetting (I would jet it myself but I've had enough with it and now I have this Dellorto contact it seems a bit silly to pay for rolling roads and whatnot...).
Just ordering a new Dellorto linkage and hopefully it should all arrive this week ready to be bolted on the car while it is out of action anyway.
I just hope this sorts the problem now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:12 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I wonder why the webber wouldn't run.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:18 pm
No idea, went through every single thing it could be and as a last resort I swapped nothing but the manifold and straight away it worked again. Really bizarre because its not some dodgy eBay manifold, its a Canley/Bastuck manifold specifically for the Spitfire. The only thing I can think is that it was pretty off tune before, and now with a reconned head, a 2 angle cut and a shorter manifold the jetting just went completely to pot. Extra annoying as I spent £45 on getting those new chokes and everything...
I am hoping the full Weber kit on eBay should cover the £160 for the Dellorto though... if a refurbed Weber, TriumphTune manifold, linkage and trumpets doesn't sell to break me even I will be well annoyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:20 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
D to the H to the L to the Aaaaaaa...

I think it's just a case of the tuning being totally different with different manifolds...

I reckon if you use the Pog of Weasel advice to sell that manifold you're on to a winner.

This time though - clean it up!

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:27 pm
JC wrote:
I reckon if you use the Pog of Weasel advice to sell that manifold you're on to a winner.

I should ask him if I am licensed to decorate my auction with Pog Facts too, that would increase the eBay hits by at least 300%...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:27 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I'm just dissapointed you have ended up in this situation with all that guidance and knowledge out there. With a car like the Spitfire you'd think it would be simple as so many people would have gone down a similar route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:30 pm
Yeah but it would have been ok if I had wanted to part with more cash I imagine, and would be all sorted by now. As it is its only after fighting with the Weber so much that James suggested the DHLA to me and it all seemed to make sense. It was my own fault for buying all the gear imagining it would just plug and play really, though on the flipside I was never expecting such fundamental problems as I have had.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:38 pm
It just seems from the perspective of myself, someone who doesn't know all the details, this is going all over the shop. I just don't understand why you haven't been advised correctly in the first place? Or have you gone against good advice? I also can't understand why you have gone up one path with the Webber and now might be taking a financial hit to go the Dellorto route with no guarantee that may work either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:43 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
The problem is that Daws is doing it on the cheap.

If he had shelled out on the right stuff to begin with it wouldn't have been a problem. You can get all the jettings etc quite easily - they're all documented. The Weber he bought was only ever "in the realms" of being correctly set up.

If he'd bought a nice shiney Weber, spent money on all the jets and gone for the shorter manifold to begin with - it wouldnt have been a problem.

The problem is working unknown bits.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:46 pm
hmmmm I thought this might be the case.

Goes to show if you end up trying to do things on the cheap you can end up loosing money in the long term. Best of to just save up and follow a well troden path sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:48 pm
JC wrote:
The problem is working unknown bits.

I understand what you're saying Chris and you are totally right, but although the Dellorto thing sounds just like another financial hit what it is doing is replacing a completely detuned Weber that has been refurbed with a simple kit by me and was never working great in the first place with a Dellorto that has been refurbed by a professional and is guaranteed to be working, and is also jetted much closer to what I need, if not perfectly.

Like James says the problem is the unknown, so I am trying to replace the unknown Weber with a "proven" DHLA whilst hopefully not losing any more money when the Weber is resold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:01 pm
Dawson wrote:
is guaranteed to be working

:|

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:13 pm
LoL yeah fair enough I can understand that, but the guy himself has run through 3 or 4 different sets of DHLA variants on his Spitfire alone - when he takes his Spit out he changes his jets depending on the weather so he is a -tad- more serious than the guy who sold my Weber in the wrong category on eBay so I got it for a steal :cry:

The Seller:
http://cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... vesideways

Example item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8030222814

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:18 pm
Yeah it certainly seems you are going up better route this time. Just can't worth out why you went up it before :cry:

Mind you I always say that plans should be organic, being able to swallow your pride, stop and change what you are doing is certainly a more sensible route than doing something our of sheer stubborness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 pm
LoL, the reason I went up it was because at the time it seemed like it would be a case of upgrading around the Weber, putting that back on, having it running again and then getting it tuned.
It is pretty much that situation now, but stupid or not I just don't trust that Weber anymore. If I did trust it I would have gone up to Mike-anics and got it tuned, but I just didn't have the money to take it up and it come back with something else wrong... That and I was slightly worried about the diff on the rolling road... James will tell me it would be fine but the 4.11 is the weakest diff I think, and it has got a bit of play in it already since I've owned it :cry:

This way I will have a Dellorto and even better I have free tuning advice (or a trip down for some good old barn hooning and tuning) if the carb is still rough...