<  Workshop  ~  109K's Week o' Work

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:19 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Finally have the money and the time (well, -had- the money now!) to get some things done on the Spit, as its been used too much like a commuter car and not enough like a classic commuter car lately! Shame on me for neglect!
Things to do this week are:

- Head off and cleaned up
- Taken to Yates's for unleaded conversion and if the wallet will allow (all depends on the standard cost):
* 3 angle cut on the inlet valves and seats
* bigger MkIV inlet valves
- Weber stripping and refurb, adding on of the 45mm trumpets, tidying up the linkage and fitting to the shorter parallel inlet manifold
- Motorbike can off and replaced with new silencer and possibly new stainless midpipe if needs be
- Renewing of the front seal to stop the small Valdez-like oil spillage
- Hardtop thwacked on

Last night stripped the ancilliaries off easily but then spent two hours trying to rip the head off. It was jammed tight on one stud and in the end after being assured by James that Picton uses screwdrivers to prise heads off with no damage, we started whacking a steel wedge in between block and head and prising it up with crowbars... it worked, and God bless cast iron for its rock solidness! :D

Head Panorama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
Engine work, always a good thing. Unleaded conversion, boooooo, but make sure you run it on super so you don't have to retard the timing. :)
Oh, and wuss for putting on the hardtop, keep it soft top, it keeps the rain off, so why swap? Its a pain in the arse if you want to pose around roof down on a beautiful winters day if you put the hard top on. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Looks loads better with the hardtop on imo :)

Seems only the other day we were polishing it up to fix on for the first time!

Sounds like a great plan, best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:05 pm
daveyboy wrote:
... keep it soft top, it keeps the rain off, so why swap? Its a pain in the arse if you want to pose around roof down on a beautiful winters day if you put the hard top on. ;)

Thats the problem with the rag top... it doesn't keep the rain off! LoL! Showers are ok, but they're not the most perfectly fitting thing and now proper rain storms have arrived its either put on the hardtop or have pools of water in the seats and footwells, not pleasant! I know what you mean about missing out on lovely cold Winters days though, its nice to drive top down, those days just don't come round enough, and I've left it late enough for that reason too! And like Chris says, the hardtop looks gorgeous :D

Latest is that the machinists have said to go for a 2 angle cut instead of a 3, as 3 is quite hard for them to do on the seats - same problem with R5 Turbos and others apparently! The same sorts of problems rule out bigger valves ( they don't do the porting and flowing work that would be entailed) and then just before I left to take the head in my new inlet manifold arrived! Proper tasteeeeeee!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
good man daws, I've spent today ND YESTERDAY REBUILDIG A FEW HEADS, they will shortyl be appearing on the bay of e as turner tuning specials!!! so what ya had done ot the head in the end then? just the unleaded conversion?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:05 pm
OllyTB wrote:
so what you had done ot the head in the end then? just the unleaded conversion?

Unleaded conversion (so hardened seats), valve guides as required and then a 2 angle cut on the inlet seats. Should be done by Wednesday or Thursday, so thats not too bad, then just have to go through the agony of re-timing and re-feeler gauging the tappets. I'd rather cut my own arm off...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:30 pm
Ahhh, fair enough, I suppose your car is what 33 years old? '72 isn't it? Clare's Mazda is a '90, only 15 years old, spent 10 years in Japan under not quite so harsh conditions and has had a new rag top about 3 or 4 years ago, so I've no idea what its like to drive a convertable with a leaky roof, I guess I've been spoilt, LOL.

Where were the photo's of the engine coming out anyway? I was quite proud of my story in pictures taking out the engine of my 200 and was hoping it would provide inspiration for similar tasks! I suppose its only 4 wires, 3 hoses and 2 bolts to get the engine out of yours, LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:51 pm
Haha, yeah, wasn't exactly taxing! Just had to dodge a bit of hot water as we whipped the water out, but then the problem after everything was unplugged was I was too busy swearing at the head that just wouldnt budge to take any photos! :D

Here's a few of the new inlet manifold, very tidy, a lot smaller all round!

Oh, and I have a problem with my Weber/trumpet combo now as well... grr...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
You rebuilt those webers yet? thats a fun afternoon!, just rember to put the floats on the reight way round otherwise you sit there trying to work out why there is fuel flowing out of the top of your carbs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:00 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
daveyboy wrote:
Ahhh, fair enough, I suppose your car is what 33 years old? '72 isn't it? Clare's Mazda is a '90, only 15 years old, spent 10 years in Japan under not quite so harsh conditions and has had a new rag top about 3 or 4 years ago, so I've no idea what its like to drive a convertable with a leaky roof, I guess I've been spoilt, LOL.

Where were the potato's of the engine coming out anyway? I was quite proud of my story in pictures taking out the engine of my 200 and was hoping it would provide inspiration for similar tasks! I suppose its only 4 wires, 3 hoses and 2 bolts to get the engine out of yours, LOL!

Actually - it's only 3 wires - including the earth strap... it is however 4 whole bolts...

Oddly - old soft top design isn't that bad - the Mk3 (mine) has a far better design of softop than the later ones (Daws) - the Sunbeam Alpine was really good at keeping water off you too - and that's 50's! Also very clever in the way it packs away behind the parcel shelf out of view too...

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:27 am
3 wires! :cry:

Whats the 3? Distributor, Starter Motor and Earth Strap? Is there no oil pressure sensor????

Ahhh well, even if there were 10, I still need an older car, LOL!

Fuel injection with sensors for this, that and everything suck, yeah, fuel economy, emissions blah blah blah, but I'm interested in easy maintainance like you Spitfire boys! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:55 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Ohh

I forgot about the coil leads - HT and LT leads too then... 5!

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:13 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Engine doesn't need to come out to do the head Dave, Daws is northern, but not -that- northern.

I think you need to experience a 30 year old softop design to really appreciate how far cars have come on :cry:.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:08 am
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
I agree, jump in a audi a4 convertible and then jump back in the spitfire james!!!! Then you'll realise the spit has a crap roof. You may notice I'm not using the obvious as an example, there's a reason for that, I rank it with the spit roof!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:49 am
LMAO!