<  Workshop  ~  Grale update just built up rear suspension

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:43 pm
User avatarPosts: 119Location: Stoke on TrentJoined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:01 pm
Just built up the rear diff subframe, tie rods, cradle and braces thought id show yall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:49 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
That's a bit more like it, makes the Sierra trailing arms look pretty primitive! Looks adjustable?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:53 am
User avatarPosts: 119Location: Stoke on TrentJoined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:01 pm
Yes fully adjustable :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:55 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Every car should have rod ends... I am aiming for 8 on mine! (seriously)

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:07 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Adjustability is a mans best friend, if we aren't carefully twiddling and adjusting something at every stop then we'll never be happy. I find even the adjustability of dampening rates gives epic amounts of scope for twiddling I can only dream of being able to play with so much stuff.

James if you don't comically boso your spit and take a photo I'll be sorely dissapointed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:25 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Adjustability is also our worst enemy. Laying awake at night wondering if our dampers should be set a click more or less...

Not sure how much "adjustment" I'll have - rear camber is the only bit new that I don't have now... it'll be enough to get it right - but enough to truely boso I do not know...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:54 am
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
I'm with JC, too much adjustment means you're never happy.

Having said that, if you have it set up by someone better at suspension geometry than us then LEAVE IT ALONE AFTERWARDS means that you'll have the ultimate setup, which is nice. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:56 am
"leave it alone" - what is the meaning of this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:07 am
We pretend it's the bane of our lives but we love the option to adjust, it gives us something to do.

I was forever adjusting my 4B's settings, partly because I could and partly because I was interested.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:13 am
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
Ok I admit it.....

I got a bit of satisfaction adjusting my Dawes Device then feeling the extra mid-range torque I got on test drives between adjustments! :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:24 am
But if we spent less time adjusting we could spend more time doing other stuff.

Suspension for instance will be setup on a computerised thingy aligny thing... and that'll be it...

The EFI is quite possibly the most fiddleable thing ever - but once it's been mapped that'll be it really... though it is quite good that you can save the settings so you don't cock it up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:50 am
JC wrote:
The EFI is quite possibly the most fiddleable thing ever - but once it's been mapped that'll be it really... though it is quite good that you can save the settings so you don't cock it up.

But will it James will it?

What about the after-run-in retune
Then the 5K remap - just to be sure
The closed loop cruising high mpg adjustments
Trying to get bigger flames out the exhaust (guilty)

I reckon there's decades of fiddling with EFi.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:03 pm
Being the nerd I am - I already have the software on my machine...

Shiftlight - both shiftlight and "low rpm light" (I don't know either)

Soft cut and hard cut limiter - probably set that on about 3,000 when I let Dawson have a go - not because I don't trust him but he'll love it bouncing.

I can play around with the temp the electric fan switchs on and off...

I can play around with tons of other stuff - flames out of the exhaust - there's no deceleration richening control (there is on megasquirt) - only acceleration enrichment...

You're right on the mpg - there was talk about me trying to do the RBRR with a silly fuel consumption - go for some sort of record...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:37 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
JC wrote:
Soft cut and hard cut limiter - probably set that on about 3,000 when I let Dawson have a go - not because I don't trust him but he'll love it bouncing.

Ahhh I'm afraid you've caught me there :oops: Is it wrong to love the sound of proper hardcore revlimiters (by this I do not mean "listen to the rev limiter on my Fiesta when I rev it to 6000rpm")?

*is incidentally watching the Saab 93 Sportwagon advert and wishing cars did sound like jet fighers*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:41 am
JC wrote:

Incidentally whenever Pies and me have demonstrated the laptop talking to the ECU this is what we've done.