<  Workshop  ~  Megasquirt n Sparked The Volvo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:06 am
User avatarPosts: 101Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:00 am
Well I set myself the goal of getting this done before the new year and I did. In Fact I did it a few weeks ago but have struggled to get the damm pics of my phone since then.

But onto the install.

One thing to sort was a Throttle position switch. The stock one on my car is only a switch to activate the idle valve system. So I grabbed a Proper TPS from a volvo 850, cut the shaft down on a spare 740 throttle body and JB welded the TPS to the body.

For the spark side of things, I grabbed an old 240 Dizzy that came equipped with a hall efect sensor. I removed all the mechanical advance/retard crap and locked the top and bottom halves of the dizzy together. So that this would provide me with a Signal for the igniton module. This in turn was hooked up to a Bosch 139 Ignition Module scavanged from a saab.

I retained the standard dummy rotor and dizzy on the back of the head to distribute the sparks as the parts are relatively new.

Then basically it was just a case of hacking a loom together using a scrap loom I'd scavanged from a yard with all the volvo connectors and just extended the wires a reasonable length to then connect to the MS box

This is my wiring diagram for MS with the added spark side to it.

Which then relates to this lovely little mess under the bonnet and inside the car.

Apart from a few worrying mins when doing some final checks and trying to set up the block dizzy to get the base timing and discovering I had no spark, which I quickly noticed was due to forgetting to give the igntion module an earth, the car fired on the 1st turn of the key.

After that success I pulled the wiring of the car, swapped the throttle body back over and plugged back in the original wiring loom.

This left me with this harness pictured below which now I can turn into something presentable and factory looking under the bonnet. and without so much slack.

Just need to finish building my Wideband Kit so that I can install that and start tuning this thing effectively.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:41 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Really interesting to see this - thanks for posting it.

We were discussing the use of the dizzy instead of a CPS a while back and I'll be keen to hear how you get on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:19 pm
Posts: 228Location: Button MoonJoined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:27 pm
One of my mates will probably be interested in this as hes on about a mega squirt system to run a supercharger on his Mrs MK1 MR2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:32 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Everyone seems to want a bit of megasquirt at the moment. But I only know of a handful of people who've gone through with it. Seems to be good money in making the conversion kits too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:52 pm
well weve got the supercharger a mini M45 Eaton, hes an engineer/ welder so an inlet manifold id pretty easy, an we got an intercooler too so just a question of time an effort :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:29 pm
Guess he could do with finding the ECU and sensors off one of the standard supercharged MR2s.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:32 pm
thats a possible to, we`ll sort it one way or another, were gonna turbo it but not enough room exhaust side really so think we definitely going supercharged