<  Workshop  ~  Spitfire Rebuild - From darkness to light...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:25 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
LOL

With the 30mm ones I could have 6 inch ram pipes...

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:28 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Well you've said it now.

So you have to do it.

And I'll accept no back peddling.

If you don't do it I'll stand by the car at shows and shout "He only bought the little trumpets! He could have had 6 inch ones and he knows it!"

Just don't cry when you take the car into a garage to have some work done on the master cylinder and some oily rag muppet takes to one one of your air horns with a junior hacksaw.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:44 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
That's why I do everything myself...

I'll see how I get on with the Dellortos... EFI will always be in the pipeline at some stage.

Good thing about the DCOEalike ones is that they are easily saleable or transferable to any car...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Olie tries to do everything himself but sadly life doesn't always work out. I think he needed something doing with the brake lines and had an exam or something. Typically it's the one time in a million you use a garage and they fuck it up.

Was a real shame because the trumpet in question he'd already had machined to clear the master cylinder and the guy that did it had done a lovely job.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:48 am
I hope he killed the dude!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:33 am
I'm not sure what happened in the end but I think he may have argued some money back. I think it was during a particualry busy part of his life, perhaps while he was getting the Aston job and he simply couldn't be bothered with it.

I'm the one that screams and shouts at people :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
That episode still haunts me, it was shortly after that bafoon in the bravo had driven down the wrong side of the road and I slide into him in loughborough. I asked them to fix the brak eline which was damaged in the incident and they chopped a chunk out the trumpet to make it clear the world most massive union, I'm sure they used domestic plumbing!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:14 pm
From this:

Then barrel painted and cast iron grey on the end plates... FRESH...

After going around Newport Pagnell yesterday - I think Im going to go anal over everything now :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:55 am
That looks loads better like that, like it's OEM.

James if after tricks and techniques for the really nicely don't touches then it's worth looking toward the American HotRod scene, people like Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington. I think I'm going to turn back to looking in this scene for insperation and methods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:45 am
All it needs is a little white label or sticker on it and it's OEM

It's a shame it's going to be hidden under the dash somewhere!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:50 am
Well at least you'll always have the pictures.

Good practice too if anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:54 am
I have a hate for cast iron - it gets so grubby so quickly.

So I painted my Dellorto manifolds... this time cast iron flameproof - which is a different colour to cast iron engine enamel oddly.

I should have quickly sanded over them beforehand so the finish was a bit smoother and therefore more grub resistant. Might go over them with some 2000 paper and then give them a quick coat again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:55 am
Oof I'm inspired to do my orrible messy exhaust manifolds!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:58 am
Were originally this colour:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:59 am
Far better colour now!