<  Workshop  ~  Spitfire Rebuild - From darkness to light...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Machine!? *cough* Yes of course...

If by machine you mean "used a jigsaw" and "used a drill" - some small files and an orbital sander also.

Am borrowing my mates pillar drill tomorrow to do the holes.

Am going to make some little bosses out of round bar for a couple of temp take offs - both inlet and outlet... got to find a 5/8" tap...!

Then I'll ask my mate who works at Ralloy in York to weld them all together - unless I can find someone more local.

Essentially this is what I'm making:

Except I am going to integrate some temp take offs.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:31 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I'm impressed by how neat you've done it.

Anything I've done with metal has ended up looking like something from Scraphead Challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:41 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
It's all about prep and patience I think.

Tools are important - but I used a cheap Skil Jigsaw with some £2.50 alu saw blades from Screwfix. An orbital sander with an old bit of sandpaper was used to round of the edges - worked rather well.

I was telling Daws yesterday - if there is a term called "barning" - well I those are "patio'ed"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:45 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Sounds about right :cry:

It's good to see hard work and patience pay off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:49 pm
My trip to Aston Martin has made me a little anal over everything now... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:14 am
AVO FRESH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 am
Cool which ones the front and back they pretty short? Guess something like a spit doesn't need very long shocks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 pm
User avatarL33t n3rdPosts: 765Location: O-townJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
dude, those shorter ones with the bolt mounts both ends are blatantly the back pair.

Are you feeling alright? :drink:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:35 pm
They're both the rear - I compressed one to show the difference in length.

12" total length, 8.5" compressed, 3.5" stroke.

Am wondering about the suspension geometry now - I measured a set on a roto car and it was 12" - making the driveshafts stop about .5" short of hitting the chassis. The inside "track" of my driveshafts are slightly wider because of the CV adapters and CVs on the diff end - so I could have gone longer - but this would have killed the bump. Am wondering if I should have gone shorter to allow more bump. Will have to see when they're on the car... can always buy another pair.

The fronts are coil overs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:43 pm
JC wrote:
Will have to see when they're on the car... can always buy another pair.

I think you are right to think like that James.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:37 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
why has it made you anal about everything? you clearly didn't come to bodge it and scarper ville at Gaydon did you, you only stayed at Newport!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:55 pm
OllyTB wrote:
why has it made you anal about everything? you clearly didn't come to bodge it and scarper ville at Gaydon did you, you only stayed at Newport!

I wasn't going to say it but that's what I thought.

If he'd gone to Gaydon he'd be filling it up with expanding foam and hammering bolts in.

Stripped my 4B yet Turner?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
I haven't yet dude, I'm going to be going home next weekend and will hopefully be booking a week of work soon aswell. Not sure if I'll be able to before I start my new job though!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Indeed - Newport only!

Those alu body panels are beautiful!

To see so many in one place was amazing...

Shame I didn't get to see them being bashed up...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:13 am
MGF BIG BEARING FRESSHHHH

CV joints and proper wishbone suspension here we come!