<  Workshop  ~  4i Paint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:04 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
At the weekend I was cleaning up the engine bay of the 4i and couldn't resist attacking it with a sponge. I just wanted the dust off it really. So I went at it lightly with a bucket of NXT and had to rush through it because someone turned up. I went over it with quick detail and a fresh MF cloth.

I was so suprised and impressed with the results. Bird muck, drained on old stained water drops and alsorts just came right off the 12 month old layer of wax. The dried on water from cleaning it slid off and the quick detailer topped up the carnuba really well.

Here are the pics, the koala-tea isn't high but I was shocked at how well the paint came up for such a rush job. I will do it properlly at some point I promise LOL

Also admire the way Sierra bumpers fit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 739Location: Stoke on TrentJoined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:19 pm
looks very shiney :)

want to do mine? :D lol

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:09 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Some excellent bling there sir!

No reason why the wax should start to decay if its been inside all this time though... out of interest do you remember what wax it was?

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:17 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Every time I look at it after it's been cleaned I just gaze in awe, it really is shinee and in such good condition for a 21 year old (I wish I was in as good condition as the 4i!!!).

I think it was the Pinnacle Carnouba Wax from America James.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:23 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I can't quite remember James :cry:

I think it's only Meguiars Deep Crystal so nothing special really, may have had the odd coat of Quick Detailer before it went in the garage.

I think I was worried that given there was debri on the car, old dried on water from rain and bird poo, that it would have eaten into the wax. I was also concerned that sponge washing it and going over with the cloth would scratch the surface but it doesn't seem to, I couldn't even find swirls :shock:

It's certainly hammered in my faith in using a good wax and avoiding the downwards spiral of washing with a cheap shampoo and repolishing every weekend. Despite my experience before I still thought I would be in for a complete bling session with a multitude of different products, I didn't expect to see results like this with a quick shampoo and spray with the QD. Of course looking back now it seems only logical.

Janey you are a very cheeky monkey lol! I hardly even clean my Prelude really, I would never cheat on the 4i :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:27 pm
Joey wrote:

Daft as it is, since it's now almost exactly a year since I ordered it, the only car to recieve any of that wax is Dawson El Cheeko as he brainwashed me into slapping some on his hardtop roof.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:51 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Joey wrote:

Daft as it is, since it's now almost exactly a year since I ordered it, the only car to recieve any of that wax is Dawson El Cheeko as he brainwashed me into slapping some on his hardtop roof.

I thought you and Dawson had a go of it on the 4i just before you put the 4i in the garage, I don't know why I thought that. :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:06 pm
Joeyanne it appears you got out of the mong side of bed this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:17 pm
MWF wrote:
Joeyanne it appears you got out of the mong side of bed this morning.

I know, I did get out of your side actually. :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:02 pm
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
Black looks the nuts when shiney, and that could almost be a new car, never mind 21 years old its so nice! :D

PS. Bring it to Castle Coombe in a fortnight, I know of available stand space and it would be a more than welcome addition! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
WOW, that IS shineeee..... Impressive dude. :bow:

Equally impressive is the shoddy fit of the bumpers. Shame on you for not fettling them into a snugger fit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
I can't quite remember James :cry:

I think it's only Meguiars Deep Crystal so nothing special really, may have had the odd coat of Quick Detailer before it went in the garage.

I think I was worried that given there was debri on the car, old dried on water from rain and bird poo, that it would have eaten into the wax. I was also concerned that sponge washing it and going over with the cloth would scratch the surface but it doesn't seem to, I couldn't even find swirls :shock:

It's certainly hammered in my faith in using a good wax and avoiding the downwards spiral of washing with a cheap shampoo and repolishing every weekend. Despite my experience before I still thought I would be in for a complete bling session with a multitude of different products, I didn't expect to see results like this with a quick shampoo and spray with the QD. Of course looking back now it seems only logical.

Janey you are a very cheeky monkey lol! I hardly even clean my Prelude really, I would never cheat on the 4i :hug:

You should feel ashamed that you left bird poo on there...!

Good bling still though... I think I am with you on the less polishing malarky - good wax is the way - should only polish every month at most.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:49 am
I know James, I felt quite wreckless about it. But then on the flip side I didn't want to go scraping at the paint or leave the car wet in storage so in some ways it worked out to be the sensible option. I wont deny it left me a bit worried. There is some bubbling appearing at the top of the windscreen and there are some bits and bobs that need attention in the engine bay.

Davey - She wont be at any shows till next year but thanks for the kind offer.

Dick - The bumpers are a nightmare, the front cossie item isn't genuine and simply isn't the right shape. I may get an brand new RS500 one at some point and have it sprayed up. Maybe I can do something with the back, I need to look.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:15 am
User avatarPosts: 2743Location: RUSTJoined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:00 am
ooooooooh shineeey!

Thou art a lucky git.

My car is slowly reverting to a lovely shade of "cloudy" again.

Perhaps I can bribe someone to come & 'bling my ride' as I seem incapable of doing it properly myself! :cry:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 am
Someone on MIG keeps asking for advice and I keep giving them good advice but they wont take it seriously. I say go buy a decent MF cloth and they still insist on using old clothes. Given up now and let them speak to someone who's suggesting using layer after layer of Super Resin Polish.