<  Workshop  ~  XR4i to XR4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:28 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I don't know why but the urge has come upon me to convert the XR4i to a carb. Reason for this include. Might give a bit more powah due to loosing crap restrive injection system, would sound the billy bollocks, would be a lot more tidy under the bonnet with a nice big round air filter muscle car style.

Have I gone bananas?> :banana:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:37 am
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Was going to say your nuts but as its not your daily car you can throw anything resembling cold starting, fuel economy out of the window and get in it for the powah and noise

Plus carbs just look 100imes better than any fuel injection setup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:43 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
You see that's my thinking too!

I'm a bit torn now really, the turbo kit would give good powah. But that ported 3.1 lump on carb(s) would sound so good. The injection setup on the XR4i is really naff and clumsly looking it would be great to dispose of.

I need to look into it, the only real problem is the inlet manifold and sourcing a carb one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:47 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
I'll have a nice pair of HS2s you can have...

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:48 am
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
Seen as injection and ECU control is more precise, you can get way more powah retaining the injection. How much would it cost to get throttle bodies, bigger injectors, uprated fuel pump and custom mapping? It would give you way more powah than carbs although would be more expensive. I can see why you'd want to do carbs though and whatever you do, its a powah mod, so I fully approve! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:58 am
The problem with going fully mappable injection is that
a: no crank sensor as standard so you have DIY one
b: I don't have that kind of money

I would love to go with throttle bodies really, just for peace of mind more than anything. Something worth noting with my engine is that it isn't very revvy so it doesn't suffer the limitations of a carb as much as something like the XE.

Ideally I'd like a big fat holly carb sat on the top like an American V8 but this is all something I need to look into really, I don't know what carb setup would be the most suitable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
I knew it would be expensive, but then I don't know your budget. Holley carbs sound lovely, you have a big-ish engine, and its in a V formation so it could be a possibility, or what about Twin Webbers? Not the 40s or 45s as commonly used when tuning a 2.0 pinto, what about the twin 50s? Then say bollocks to fuel economy! :D

It may sound daft, but an alternative could be scapping the lump altogether and sticking a V8 into it, I've wanted a Rover V8 engined Sierra for a long time now and there are probably far more tuning options, and carb options for that engine over the Ford V6. Do it, then take me out for a spin. :D

Does this sound appealing or do you still intend to turbocharge the V6 and it would ruin all the plans?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:19 pm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

hollry on ebay, I was eyeing it up but im gonna fuel inject the v8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:32 pm
I can take or leave the turbo aspect. Like I say it gives great powah but that isn't my ultimate goal.

I would consider scrapping the lump but someone has sank £3K into this engine and it's only just run in. Plus if any engine was to go in it would have to be a Ford one to preserve originallity and with a Rover lump I'd kinda be going backwards from where I am now.

According to Burton powah a Holley 4-barrel is the way to go when carbing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:36 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Problem with all these great ideas is that realistic budget is only tiny. Damn a V8 would be nice though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 pm
A V8 isnt simple though, a few of us in the XROC have been dreaming about them for ages now and there's very few people out there willing to give any answers.

I'd like a non-mint 4i with a 4.6 TVR (rover V8) lump in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:45 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Yeah, I can definitely see the reasoning in doing it with a non-mint car.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:49 pm
This morning when I left and the 4i was on the drive I really realised how perfect the 4i is for me. I just love everything about them. I couldn't stop looking and thinking that.

I'd love another, something for pratting around in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:28 pm
Offenhauser appear to make a manifold to mount a Holley.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:46 pm
There you go then, no excuse, get it done :D