<  Workshop  ~  XR4i to XR4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:54 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
The Americans are so cool, by the looks of things I could have a Offenhauser dual ram inlet manifold for a Holley 4 barrel double pumper and some Hooker full length tubular headers. I don't know if those parts are any good but damn it reads well :cry:

Capris seem to be the direction to look in here. I'll have to contact Real Steal and see if they stock any bits.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:45 pm
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
............and if you're in that neck of the woods (visiting real steel) then look me up, make sure you come in the 4i though, not that the 'Lude isn't a nice car, its just not so interesting. ;)

The Rover V8 engined Sierra is perfectly feasable, I'm sure there is a company that does conversion kits for them, for the engine mounts, etc etc, there are enough V8 Sierra's in the custom car world.

Oh yeah, and if you want to keep it Ford, and you want to keep it from the same era, then you can always go for a Ford 5.0 V8, you could be belting out Vanilla Ice lyrics...... "Rolling round in my five point ohh" :dance:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:49 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Point noted about the Ice man.

Magnum Engineering sell the conversion bits for the 5.0 and Rover V8.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 2743Location: RUSTJoined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:00 am
daveyboy wrote:
you could be belting out Vanilla Ice lyrics...... "Rolling round in my five point ohh" :dance:

:shock: seriously uncool :shock:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:52 pm
I'll have you know the V-man is back and I have one of his recent albums.

I'm my world of the 80's he's the-bomb

Word to yo mutha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 2743Location: RUSTJoined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:00 am
Ice belongs firmly in the box marked "novelty".

If you're pimping in a shitty shopping trolley (1.0) or diesel van (2.0) then it is acceptable to listen to the ice-man at high volume (with the appropriate lyric changes).

However to actually own a five-point-oh (the rag top down so your hair can blow being largely irrelevant at this point), the listening of the man Van Winkle would seriously undermine the credibility achieved by having the cube's in the first place.

(See also: Skee-lo, GoldieLookinChain etc.)

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
doooo ittttttt. thorttle boies would be the billy bollox but as you say cost is prohibitive. go carbbbbbb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 177Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 4:00 am
Why not do it properly & keep it Ford, I know the Rover V8 started life in the states but they rejected it & we exploited it. Why not bung a Ford V8 in there with your Holly & have done with it :wink:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
Have to say I'm not that up on 4i's, but if money's a restriction, how about getting your hands on a 24v Granada setup. Theyre about 200 horses out of the factory, and should be a pretty easy swap with minimal mods if any.

As for wacky V8's and Holly carbs, check out the forums at www.buysellcortina.co.uk Theyre very sympathetic towards owners of other Ford marques, and will help you if they can dude.
Pick an engine and someone on there will have butchered it to silly levels!

Theres a guy on there with a MK3 cortina estate he's fettled into a 2 door van and shoehorned in a 2.8cologne with a silly large mad-max style supercharger on the top. Oh, and he dabbles with American V8's too.

Looks a bit like this....

You know you want one! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:57 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
OOOOOOOOOF!!! :drool:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:25 am
Bascially I cannot swap the engine, as I have said this is because someone has invested a few thousand in the engine that's in there and I'd never get that back by selling it.

I could however sell my turbo kit parts if I wished.

Thanks for the link Dick these sound just the people I need to talk to. I had thought of the blower thing, it seems the logical way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:49 am
The forums great Dick! That Tina Estate actually belongs to the bloke who's triggered me to look at the carb route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
Ahhh yes, mr Nightmares, Mark Holmes. Forgot he was on Retrorides too....

It's one of the better forums I'm a member of. In the year or so I've been signed up I think I've only seen one argument on there, and that was quickly sorted out. All in all a pretty friendly helpfull bunch.

Another member who might be of some help to you is Steve taylor, doitsideways. He's done many engine swaps and bulids on Cortinas. Mostly with Granny 24V lumps. Worth asking though....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:25 pm
If you were going to go V8, heres the full guide on how to do it though!

http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/v8-ford-sierra.htm

Shame you can't go that way dude.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:44 pm
Ah that page, you'd be suprised just how often that pops up on the XROC. Sadly in the 3-4 or so years it's been posted I know of only one Rover V8 conversion taking place and that was on an XR4x4 and progressing very slowly.

I would say one of the problems with the XR4s isn't so much a lack of options but perhaps a choice of too many.

What I don't want to do is set the bar too high for myself. I am a tinkerer really and not confident with big jobs, despite my involvement with them. I am the kind of person that would rather do a job I'm capable of well than a job I'm unsure of badly. When I am doing things with Pies and Geoff I'm the one spraying up bits of engine, wrapping the exhaust and routing wires so they look neather. This is just me I guess, an area I enjoy.

I'm also quite bothered about things like style, koala-tea, integrity and originality. For me the goal isn't always doing something because it means more powah or a quicker 1/4 it's about having soul. I think I owe this to all the Mini shows I went to when I first got into cars. The good think about Mini shows is they show so many ways of tackling the same thing and it really makes you think.