<  Workshop  ~  Prelude To An Investment?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:11 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I am 'umming' and occasionally 'arring' over wether or not the Prelude is worth spending money on.

You see good Preludes fetch quite a good premium at the moment, loads of people are asking about them. Now since mine cost a princely £400 I do wonder if I could make money on it.

The car owes me a bit for the springs, exhaust and induction kit, I aren't sure how much they cost in total. Something like £450 in parts, plus a couple of hundred fitting.

Things that need doing on it now are
Alloys are completely shot
Paint generally needs a blow over
Wrong colour drivers door glass
Broken indicator lense
Broken aerial
Missing headunit

And that's about it really, I aren't sure how much that would all cost tough and really how much the car would be worth at the end of it.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:26 pm
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
If you're getting bored of the car, yes, sell up, hopefully make money and buy something a bit different. I'm sure it won't be hard to sell, stick it on E-Bay and Pog will probably end up being the highest bidder (with reserve not met) for the first 6 days.

What sort of car do you want to replace it? If you can't think of something, then stick with the Prelude. I have a sneaking suspision you're getting bored because its not perfect. I reckon I've sussed you now and you're just like my Dad, a complete perfectionist, and lets face it, on a daily beater, you're never going to have perfection, with that in mind, tis up to you whether you sell or not, just don't sell the XR4i!!!!

Edit - Calling you a perfectionist isn't a criticism btw, its just the impression I get from you. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:33 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
LOL I don't mind being called a perfectionist.

I've never liked the Prelude much, it just isn't me. But it was really cheap.

I only see cars like the Prelude as a lump sum of money that gets me to work and back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I'll give you £500 for it :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
I wouldn't throw money at it mate, I'd either keep it and run about in it asa winter car and use the $I in summer or on weekends etc or sell it, I don't think th emoney spent and hassle will warrant the resale price improvement,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
What's the milage and general condition/spec like? I'm sure you could get at least 1.5k for it with it being the VTEC model...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:30 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
pisssst keep that quiet im thinking it will be ok for a daily driver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:34 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Depends if you've got anything to replace it with really - there is something nice about a car that you know.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:52 am
User avatarPosts: 177Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 4:00 am
Honda's tend to be expensive on factory parts, Re-spay could cost as little as £500 & as much as £2000, Wheels ££££££ :? . I've been watching 2.2 Prelude's of late & they don't fetch that much at the mo, As soon as you say Wheels n re-spay then your looking at spending more than the car's worth. I think you should sell it to me for cost & I can rip the eng, loom & a few other bits out & fit em to mi Crx :D :D :D

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:48 am
I guess I'll just suck it and see, I don't have anything lined up to replace it but then I feel anything else would be more suitable.

What I'll probably do then is stick it on Ebay with a reserve of £1500 and see if it goes. All the running gear on it is top notch, car has done about 70K I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:33 am
User avatarPosts: 2743Location: RUSTJoined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:00 am
Stick on eBay with loads of indecipherable M*x P*w*r text speak.

OK, so you'll get loads of stick from 'real' car enthusiast, but what the hell.
You'll flog it to some gullible barry-boy tw@t for twice what it's worth.

Stick some plastic / neon crap on it if you think it will help.

It's all about the marketing, see.

Then take your ill gotten gains and buy another Volvo.
You knows it makes sense!

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:37 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
pogweasel wrote:
Then take your ill gotten gains and buy another Volvo.
You knows it makes sense!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YESHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:39 pm
You are right Pog, its all in the marketing. I think my Volvo ebay post showed that.

IT'S INSURANCE GROUP 20 THAT MAKES IT AS FAST AS A FARRARRI OR LAMBORGEENI!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
This seems like a business opportunity to me... eBay copywriting...

Bit of chrome paint on those wheels, some underbody lighting - a few Mugan stickers - some Type-R ones... claim every little modification adds 30bhp... job done... dress yourself up as a lady and louge over it - that always seems to help...

Last edited by JC on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:09 pm
User avatarPosts: 2743Location: RUSTJoined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:00 am
JC wrote:
This seems like a business opportunity to me... eBay copywriting...

I reckon there's gold in them there hills!

"Filmpropman" was offering a full photographic & write-up service on eBay recently.... I watched to see if there were any takers.
At £99 + expenses, it seemed a little bit steep, but I still think it's feasable. If I had the time I'd give it a go....

"Get rich Kwik on eBay - The Pogweasel Way".....

Offline Profile E-mail