<  Workshop  ~  Ive been a very naughty boy.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:24 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Really, I've never really compared one to the size of another engine but I read that the Rover V8 is bigger than a Ford or Chevy V8?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:37 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I reckon it will be tight but I reckon it will fit - im expecting to have to mod the bulkhead, but in all honesty its sort of dumped on a pallet till I can get my mate round to give me a hand lugging it into a workable position - hight wise its negliable height differance from somthing like an xe nothing a dry sump wouldnt sort. its a long term engine im gonna build it up and then worry about the fitting, hiding my head in the sand technique

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:46 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Well at least if you build it up and don't fit it it's a pretty sellable engine. I'll be interested to see how you get on actually as there are quite cheap Rover V8 conversion kits for Sierras. I was put off by the poor figures I saw for V8 Capris though.

I have a V8 tuning guide somewhere in a copy of street machine, I actually typed it all up once. Reel Steel seem to be the people to go to for parts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:01 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Well if you can find a copy any info is greatly recieved

Just keeping my eyes out for bargins as it were, Im amazed on what prices for things on ebay are compared to the price of the engine, id on a carb it went from £40- £95 in about 10mins, im basically going to pick up what I can and clean things and refurb while im waiting

Im gonna start the stripdown and see what conditon its actually in next week

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:24 pm
Rover V8's are an institution unto themselves it seems. There are hundreds of various bits out there. Plus all the versions of the actual engine right up to the 4.6 TVR lumps.

Sprintex did a supercharger kit, Janspeed did a twin turbo kit - both pop up on Ebay.

I'm afraid the artical I have is at my parents but I will try and remember to dig it out when I pop back there. It was the usual stuff really, look at breathing with the carb and heads, then more powah can be had with the right cam, which would work great on your little motor. Then they started looking at full rebuilds with fresh bored out blocks from Reel Steel with their 'Stump puller' crank and things like that, they are one of those engines with bits on the shelf to fill any budget.

I would guess your best route would be to re-con the engine on a budget, get a revvy cam and a decent carb and go have some fun. I would have thought it best to avoid any major engine work and just buy and engine someones already paid and arm and leg for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
Funny you mention a Rover V8 engined Sierra Chris, I've always wanted to do that, I think a P100 pick up would be my weapon of choice, then It would be semi-practical and very very different too! :D

Yeah, agree with Chris on the mild tuning route, I'd try and get the thing in the car before you go serious with it, besides, do engine mods in small doses then you get to appreciate each stage! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:29 pm
Might be of some use, I don't know

http://www.mk1cortinav8.co.uk