<  Workshop  ~  JC's New Engine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:13 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Well - it's kind of underway now.

Started out as this virginal block - still on its original bearings and with a perfect crank.

Came back all balanced from the machine shop: (Cosworth YB bolts and dual chain sprocket thingy for the vernier wotsit in the photo)

The head has been cleaned up and ported out a bit - and modded to accept the induction system: (all by me)

Looking nice huh! :) Got all my gaskets and everything now - just waiting for the bearings I've ordered to be machined - Cooper S ones with 1/8" sliced off either side of them. Sadly the only way to get good bearings :(

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 177Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 4:00 am
You mean you have a duplex timming kit with a vernia cam gear :D should be a nice little motor when you finaly get round to putting it togeather, But your too busy earning mega bucks punching keys, jammy git :wink:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:30 pm
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
duplex badger with vole cam gear - that's the one - brain fade...

I havent earnt a penny yet! We shall see...

Just means more Triumph money really :D

I've already alloted about £1k on stuff! Rotoflex conversion here we come... yummmmmy...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 pm
User avatarPosts: 177Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 4:00 am
With the sort of money I've heard your earning, you'll be driving a Skyline R34 with all the bells n whistles next month :lol:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:56 pm
The news you heard was a "best" overly optimistic outcome! Besides - doesnt mean I'll get tons of work...

Skyline... maybe not... I fancy an old Alfa at the moment...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:02 pm
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
Glad to see it's not just me messing with engines this (aleged) summer.

Whats the final spec gonna be JC, looks a tad more complex than my simple attempt!?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:40 pm
Triumph... complex... never have those words been used in the same sentence...

Everything has been crack tested... rods tested for twist and alignment... all the rest of the usual stuff. Everything balanced etc duplex and vernier chain etc

Cam is a "Fast Road 89" - not that it means anything - but its 290 duration inlet and 280 exhaust... so not totally insane...

That's about it really! It's nothing special...

Inlet system is modified Triumph PI throttle bodies to take electronic injectors - you can guess the rest...

Should be a fun engine - but don't expect any incredible powah out it - 110-120bhp max... and that's being very optimistic!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:01 am
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
Theres a fine line to walk between fun and reliability, and it's all about striking the right balance.

As for complex, I was referring to the injector throttle-body assembly. Beyond my knowledge that matey. Give me a set of carbs any day, I can weild a screwdriver and mole grips...... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:14 am
The throttle bodies are off the Triumph 6cyl - they fit a 4cyl with modification.

Obviously they're Lucas mechanical PI usually - so they've been modded to accept electronic ones. They don't quite fit on the 4cyl head either - so that's been drilled, tapped for some studs to accept that. They're actually a rather good design - as the throat tapers all the way from one end to the other.

All the EFI stuff is actually pretty easy - it's just sensors - air and water temp, crank, throttle position and oxygen sensor. It's going to be mapped ignition too.

It's just a whole load of wiring in the end. Even then - one or two wires to all the sensors... one to each injector... there really isnt much more! It doesnt really worry me - electrics is a strong point of mine - especially if I am making up my own loom from scratch and can choose all the colours etc

Ends up looking a bit like this:

In theory its lots of not very complex stuff - debugging is the fun bit - like fuel delivery etc

Fun comes once you try to start it all up I think...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:42 am
Best things come to those who wait...

Some NOS rare-as-hens-teeth Vandervel VP2 bearings...

Let the build commence!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:48 pm
I'm quite enjoying this - building something that is rather important and could go bang if I don't do it right. Equally nervous...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 1137Location: Cheadle/Leamington SpaJoined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 am
nice one matey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 pm
It'll be worth all the sleepless nights in the end dude, you know it makes sense!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:49 pm
Cheers guys.

Didn't do anything today (well yesterday) (apart from clean up a few bits) as I seem to have misplaced a few bolts. Found the final mains cap bolts. So the crank is all torqued in now - rotates perfectly in the block - lovely-inertia-then-oil-drag-to-stop-it type of action...

Tomorrow I WILL get the pistons and rods in - and the camshaft. Minimum.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:18 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I'm noticing a lack of hay bales and sandpaper in these pics James. Are you sure you're doing it properlly :cry: