<  Workshop  ~  Past the point of no return!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:18 am
User avatarPosts: 632Location: Hemel HempsteadJoined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 am
Oooooooh, close ratio stuff, enjoy the quick shifting! LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
News just in.....

I've sourced a gearbox! WooHoo! :D

Just gotta pay a visit to Sheffield to collect it now!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 119Location: Stoke on TrentJoined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:01 pm
Looks very nice there Dick :) are you putting a cam and twin 45's on it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 895Location: (not-so) Sunny Stoke....Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:00 am
Thats the eventual plan Dave. Wanna proof-test the health of the engine before I start buying expensive stuff like carbs, as it's a bit of an unknown quantity. It came for the right price with a good verbal history, but as is with most things in life, you can never beleive what the seller tells you until youve seen it in action yourself. Hope to get it fired up and running by the weekend.

Picked up the gearbox today, and thats the last major chunk of the jigsaw. all I gotta do now is bolt a few bit's back on, bleed up the brakes and she's back roadworthy again. Fingers crossed......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:06 am
Excellent, and I may know someone selling carbs soon, not immediately though as he's in the process of upgrading to TWIN 50s on his Pinto! :shock: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:17 am
50's..... Thats a bit sick aint it!

Show your mate these piccies I robbed from www.buysellcortina.co.uk
for a bit of inspiration...
It's a pinto jim, but not as you know it...... THROTTLE BODIES!!!! 8)
And a proven 170+ bhp at the rear wheels.

I'll be after a set of 45's when money permits.... trouble is, the people who've got them know what theyre worth when they come to sell them on..... And really, for the powah gain you get from them, it's far cheaper to go down the Sierra EFI route, unless your gonna be doing loads of headwork too. Thing is, you just can't beat the sound of a pair of twin Webbers on full song! :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:12 am
Well, ya can, but not on 4 cylinders. ;)

Sod the cost and sod fuel economy, get 45s!!!!! 8)

As for 170bhp at the rear wheels, impressive achievement, one of the drift boys from the driftworks website runs even more than that powah out of a Pinto in his old school Toyota Starlet and its still N/A!!!!!!! 8) I'll dig out his tech spec if I can find it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Oh dear it's gone all "my carb is bigger than yours"... :)

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
You can get a lot of powah from the Pinto but they loose drivability a lot due to the cams needed. Plus you can end up spending a small fortune.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:42 pm
Nah, I'm not saying "so and so's is better than yours" etc, but it helps to know details of similar engines in higher state of tune to steal ideas from. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 177Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 4:00 am
Looks like your doing a pucker job there, The bay looks like you could eat your dinner off it, But just one small critisism, Personally wax oil good stuff recommended, But underseal nooooooooooo, It surely would'nt have taken too much extra work to paint the arches while the sub frame was out, There we go, otherwise a fantastic job :wink:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:05 pm
IT LIVES!!!

WooHoo!!!

After an amazing zero technical hitches, she rolled out of the Garage under her own powah today, for the first time in nearly 2 months! Amazed things went so smoothly really. She fired up first turn of the key too. Well, after the fuel had been sucked through that is. Theres only two things I can pick fault with so far. Just niggles really. Gonna have to get hold of another rocker/camshaft cover, as the current one's warped and doesnt fit right, giving a slight dribble of oil down the block. Yes, it's got a fresh gasket on, I aint that tight! And the other niggle..... I really should have checked while the lump was on the bench.... The valve stem seals are past their best. Nothing major, but I really wanted to make sure the engine was as good as promised before I started stripping stuff down. After all, no point spunking money at a dead engine, is there? Anyway, I'll sort the seals when I upgrade the cam! I can live with the occasional genie out the tailpipe for now!
Have to say, the servo upgrade was well worth it. It's actually got brakes now! No more planning when I should slow down.... hehehe.

So whats it like to drive?
It's like a totally different car now. If you forget the lack of powah steering, it's got a very modern feel to it. The difference between the two standard engines is reduculous. The old crossflow was just gutless compared to the pinto, and the crossflow wasnt a bad one, had only done 38K!
As for perfomance, yeah I've been grinning my ass off blasting round the lanes most of this afternoon. It's considerably quicker than it was. Acording to Fords figures the 60 dash as it was came in a lousy 14.5 seconds, and a standard 2.0l is supposed to take 10.5. Well, I picked a mate up with his stopwatch for a laugh, and headed off to a quiet B road. I fluffed the start, spun it first and second, and got it to 60 just under the 10second mark. So yeah, I'm more than happy at that for a standard engine.

Next on the agenda I'm gonna give a little TLC to the bodywork and wheels I've been neglecting. Theres a few scabs popping up here and there, and I just wanna make it look presentable for the summer as I've got big plans for the bodywork for later in the year, money permitting that is!

I'll leave you with a random shot from this afternoons fun and games..... And yes, I hooned off from the gravel in true hooligan style!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:12 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Wow, zero hitches, you lucky shite! :D Glad it went ok though, you sound so chuffed and rightly so, now go make your cheeks ache with grinning over the next few weeks, hehe!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:18 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Looking good dick, help me fit this v8 will ya?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:23 pm
Cheers guys! I'm chuffed as Mr Chuffed after he's just got laid! Thing is, I'm now waiting for something to go wrong! Sod's law and all that....

Gaz..... Have crane will travel! :wink:
Gonna need to do a fair bit of fabricating though I reckon... not one of my strongpoints! :(