<  General Chatting  ~  Any Broadband Recommendations?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:13 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Whether co-incidence or otherwise, a few things have happened over a short space of time to really get my goat over my Fresserve/Wanadoo/Orange broadband package. I've suspected for a while now that I'm getting quite nasty capping during peak hours and have also noticed my connection dropping all of a sudden despite no changes to the phone line, phones, router or cabling. The router is a decent Linksys and seems to be running fine so I've ruled that out for now... The last straw was Orange's letter telling me my package doesn't exist anymore so they have no choice other than to move me onto a new package... which incidentally costs me £7/8 more. Fook that...

So, wondering if anyone has any decent BB recommendations? I remember Aquiss being mentioned before and their packages seem OK... Also pondered o2 (as I get it cheaper as I'm a phone customer) but they seem to be trying to entice lots of people to their broadband which could mean a degradation of service and I really don't understand their options anyway. There's mobile, then home, but you can still be "out of area" on the home option, in which case you get only one "access" option... wierd...

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Aquiss fo sho, always get 8mb on mine, download at 850-900 from a good site usually...some how...lol

Put down 'benwalker' as the person that referred you ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:49 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
We're currently with Sky and get a decent value package of phone, tinternet and TV, but for just broadband it's probably not good value.

We used to be with Plusnet who were excellent and seem to always do well with customer satisfaction and good value tables. Great thing is you're not tied into a long contract either, just month by month. They were very helpful one Sunday when our tinternet brokeded which impressed me as I didn't expect good support on a Sunday.

Wouldn't recommend the Post Office as it was a nightmare getting help from them and it's difficult to use a different router to the one they supply as you don't get a username/password until you connect their router. Took us ages to get my Grandma set up on Post Office and involved a lot of hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Hey Dawson, I'm still with aquiss for the moment, but the service has gone down a little in the last year since the introduction of 21cn, however they still are great and easy to deal with, customer service is excellent. I haven't done much research into other ISPs recently so can't advise otherwise, do a little digging though! And if you do go with Aquiss put me as the referer not Mr Ben, seems as I originally recommended them don't give him a referal :cry:

Let us know what you opt for, sometimes paying a little more will get you a lot compared to the big dealers!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:04 pm
don't listen to him daws !! :P, he got my referral so now my turn :mrgreen: ,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
I had Sky up until about a month ago and found them to be a bit ropey. When I took them out 2 years ago they were great, stable and superfast, maybe my area just got oversubscribed?

Now on Virgin and it's brill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:50 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Cheers for the recommendations people, I think I'll have a look over plusnet and aquiss as the monthly thing is quite good, especially as I won't be tied down if they end up being poor on my line!

Aquiss seem to suggest once they have my MAC code they can migrate me over to them s00pa fast, thus foregoing the usual 7-10 days without any tinternet (which is like having your blood drained slowly from your body as we all know :cry: ) - Ben and Matt, do you know if this is right?

These Aquiss recommendations seem to be like gold dust such is the squabbling over who gets it, lol!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:45 pm
If thats what they say I assume its right then! cant remember how long mine took, know it was quick, there customer service is ace, had them phone me on my mobile when I was setting up, not bad.

Yeah give it me ! means you get a tenner off your tinternet for 1 month, lol, mats got loads a money, im skint :mrgreen: :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:48 pm
matthewjward daws! I have a wedding to pay for!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 pm
benwalker daws ! I need to afford fuel to get to said wedding !! £10 means life and death man !!, and he's already had mine !! He cant have 2 !! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 pm
Thats generally what a referal is, I refered you to aquiss when you were last in the market, and now dawson has picked up from my referal originally so you work it out! :wink: plus you are working now! no longer a student!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:38 pm
Geroiff you earn almost double what I do :P + Kath works, yeah im passing on what I know, generally what a referral is ;) :P , + I have tons and tons of student debt to pay off ! u don't ! :P I think daws should set challenges for the prize of this fabled £10 English pounds Stirling :P

*thinks daws will think we only recommended it for the fabled £10, no really it is a good tinternet company dude! lol