<  General Chatting  ~  New Series Of Top Gear Tonight BBC2 8pm + James may bbc2/4 9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8111588.stm

Stig is unmasked tonight

ALSO (even better)

9PM - James May learning to be an astronaut - bbc2
10pm - James May flys to the edge of space - bbc4

One or the other, 2 space programs with James May !! mega !! the 40th anniversary of apollo basically.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Looking forward to all of this, plus season three of the Wire starts on BBC 2 on Monday night.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:51 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
As I hardly watch TV these days I didn't see the TG trailers, but have been keeping an eye on Finalgear countdowns for a while! You know that Stig unmasking will be BS though surely?!

(Was also chuffed that my Mallorca Rally in Top Gear guess - thanks to some pics in my dad's MG mag - was right!)

Trailer 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi1S_VgkVTI[/youtube]

Trailer 2 (with gratuitous "beautiful lady" cleavage shot?)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCUXnk3SSo[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
DAMN IT! I didn't know, and didn't see this thread until just.

Catching May on the Moon though :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Argh! Missed most of that too chatting with the landlord.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 pm
3 hours of pure awesome TV dude, worth the license fee alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:54 am
User avatarPosts: 143Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 pm
God bless sidereel.com allowing me to keep up with the latest series!

Good episode on Sunday, I loved the top gear office scenes, I noticed the STIG photocopying himself in the background, bloody genius! Apparently there were a load of other little things dotted around, including:

- Stig photocopying himself.
- Will Young and Kristen Scott Thomas pictures on Clarkson's desk.
- Picture of the Queen on May's desk.
- Pictures of a cow and Rolf Harris holding a Kangaroo on Hammond's desk, as well as a dog calendar.
- Tooth whitening kit on Hammond's desk
- A caravan pen holder in front of Clarkson's desk.
- Airplane models on May's desk.
- A random helmet in the background behind Hammond.
- A toy rifle on Clarkson's desk, with a Stig cardboard cut-out next to it.
- And most bizarrely, a huge pile of gold bullion and cash at the side of the office.

I will have to go back and check it out in more detail, but clever stuff!

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
That office scene was brilliant and we did spot many of those items.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 am
Watched both of those James May space documentaries on youtube and dailymotion last week. Absolutely brilliant! Only thing was I cant use Iplayer over here, so I couldnt get a true sense of the koala-tea of photography. Anyone know where I could download a decent/hi-def copy of them?

Safe to say that James May is becoming just as popular as, if not edging out Hammond and Clarkson in popularity lately. He seems to be the go-to man for a decent factual-based programme these days! Nice one son. I've heard his upcoming series on toys could be interesting, building and living in a ful size house made of lego bricks! Genius!

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:07 am
Watched both of those James May space documentaries on youtube and dailymotion last week. Absolutely brilliant! Only thing was I cant use Iplayer over here, so I couldnt get a true sense of the koala-tea of photography. Anyone know where I could download a decent/hi-def copy of them?

Safe to say that James May is becoming just as popular as, if not edging out Hammond and Clarkson in popularity lately. He seems to be the go-to man for a decent factual-based programme these days! Nice one son. I've heard his upcoming series on toys could be interesting, building and living in a ful size house made of lego bricks! Genius!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 am
Totally agree about May, to be honest Hammond annoys me a little these days: it's all a bit too hammed up (if you'll excuse the pun!) and a little bit too simplistic, which is a shame as his Omaha documentary from a while back was quite good. May seems to sit well with interesting documentaries that aren't quite full-on enough for POWAHH Clarkson which is only a good thing in my opinion

FinalGear.com are quite good for anything the boys from TG do in their "spare time" - got this torrent (of both the BBC2 and companion BBC4 documentaries) from there:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2711629

Enjoy!

(Also just noticed on finalgear the BBC seem to be sounding out TG in HD... Now that I would like to see!!!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:55 pm
I like Hammond a lot, he's worked hard to give his fambly a good life and is adventurous. His sense of humour seems methodical and predictable, it doesn't seem to be an on-screen persona as he comes across the same in his latest book. He's suffering overexposure a bit and his reputation for presenting anything doesn't lend well to science programs. He comes across as very egotistical and image concious and represents an age of deadpan tomfoolery TV, all you can see is straight faced delivery of some consciously ironic infotainment 'Plums, essential picnic fodder, ripe in nutrients and a staple part of any five a day diet, plums are part of the a great British institution, but how many can you fit up a glamour models bum?' *trademark sarcastic serious expression*

May is very in and I think that's partly down to current social trends, I see a lot of parallels with him and Stephen Fry. He possesses the kind of personality that's assuring - if he says something is 'Really rather excellent actually' then you feel he's established that opinion, not by immediate reaction and short term excitement, but by mulling over pedantic consideration of many important factors such as the ingenuity of it's engineering or if the Germans could take credit for it. He seems to have a lot of integrity and you trust what he says, if someone paid him a million pounds to lie on public television he'd buckle in the moment, bumble into the nearest police station and demand time at her majesties leisure.

Hammond and May are each an extreme spin off of Clarkson's pre Top Gear persona. As a result he's adopted a new comedy character of attention seeking childish awkwardness and sweeping insensitive generalisations, he's effectively become TV's Duke of Edinburgh. As a result he can't really present the shows he used to be know well for. If he'd have done the space specials he's have spend the half the show fooling around in training and grabbing the limelight during the flight "Well we've now climbed to 60,000 ft and I'm looking down into the distance at people getting deep vain thrombosis on their way to Majorca. We're now passing over Russia and about to unleash 17000 foot pounds of capitalist thrust... communism, you wont catch us up here."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:06 pm
Perhaps I am a bit mean on Hammond, and I think my opinion is probably driven by the overexposure you talk about. I think the overexposure is exacerbated by May and Clarkson, both of which seem to "chose" more specific or niche subjects, whereas Hammond just seems to say yes to any and every person who asks him to appear in a show. To be honest I sometimes wonder how much his crash has shaped his career since... Is he just "different" mentally to how he was before the crash, both in terms of personality and his career/priorities. It certainly changed him from "the cute looking one who does TG" to "Richard Hammond, cheater of death, saint and hearthrob for womenfolk throughout the world" that's for sure!

Would agree about May & Fry being similar... I think perhaps what I like about May (and Fry) is that they're so good at their craft that they seem to be able to get interesting stuff made that perhaps might not be made if it wasn't for their ability to enthuse, entertain and be interesting. Whereas I sometimes feel Hammond is used in a similar way but only as the well known face and popular name he brings rather than his craft per se....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 pm
I think they just hit different demographics. TG were very clever (or lucky) with the way they assembled a cast of presenters who reflected the three opposing sides of automotive passion:

Sex appeal
    powah
    Status

They weren't orientated to appeal to each others niche audience right from the start, never mind after their subsequent self parodying. You'd never have gotten Hammond touring Britain tasting wine or May presenting Wipe Out regardless of previous exposure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 pm
Wow some serious analysis right there.

In the vain of friends, which TG are you ? :P

I think in regards to spacey and science stuff im abit of a James May, in regards to other stuff probably a Clarkson :mrgreen:

haha