<  General Chatting  ~  new car

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:30 pm
User avatarPosts: 818Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 am
not me (I love my fuel, oil, water leaking 20 year old merc) but mary has used the governement 2k scrappage sceme to get a new focus.

she commutes from Bham to Tamworth everyday so the reliability of using it for commuting became an issue. the 110hp deisel focus is only £35 a year tax, ad huge saving on fuel, the list price is 18.5k, with 2k scrappage, bargaining, and her dads £750 'friends of ford staff' discount its 11k cost.

Safety was an issue for her as well as motorway driving, having only really driven old cars was suprised at stardard features you get on new cars. Golf had knee airbags as standard. KNEE AIRBAGS!!!

focus automatically flashes it's hazards if you brake sharply at high speed. sounds like a challenge to me. has to happen at every junction.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:29 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Nice, do you believe she got an extra £2K with the scrap scheme or do you suspect prices have been artificially inflated to compensate for it.

I.e do you think if she could have got the same deal without having the merc to trade in?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:56 am
User avatarPosts: 818Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 am
I did wonder that. I don't think I got the 'full 2ks worth' but they started with the "he's 2k off, that'll be 15K please, then 2 weeks of haggling and other comments such as, well the Golf had etc etc"

also lowering the finance rate and the like.

I got a lot of free tea out of it while mary was test driving.

and on one of the most freaky coincidences ever, mary had to go a first aid course, and at the same st Johns ambulance course, on the same day, the ford salesman was there. "your choking, I'll only heimlich manouvor you if you round it down to 11"