<  General Chatting  ~  The two sides of 'crime' plus phography issues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 818Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 am
The G20 'riot' episode (I've been at substatially more agressive stoke city games) led to the blatently unessasary push to the ground of someone walking home, who later died. Harsh, but if your a policeman in a riot situation, you's want to 'clear your lines' as it is similar to a war situation. In my oppinion, the guy should lose his job, because it is over the top, but no other action like over the top murder charges or anything like that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/0 ... eath-video

2nd, if the photography law comes into force, could the police have simply confiscated the footage, leading to a cycle of, in the practical everyday running of things, a I can get away with it attitude would exist, leading to an increase in agression. This is the key issue for me really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7892273.stm

3rd Last week I got burgled while we were upstairs asleep. I heard nothing, walked in through the back door, which was open (I was in!) and took my Xbox, wii, wallet phone and ipod. very efficent in taking complete items for a quick sale, e.g. taking all xbox peripherals but disconnecting xbox from the wireless router (leaving prints) up to the point where the tv, freeview, sterio, dvd player was all still connected and worked. I doubt I could disconnect the xbox without messing up the other tv connections... obviously kids.

no I don't have contents insurance... D'oh, still the excess was roughly the amount they stole, so no 'loss' in that respect. so if the police can cofiscate any cctv, go round to the house of the people they (most likely) know who did it, and give them a random beating, I'm all for it.

justice... its all about perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:45 pm
other factors to consider are the fact that street view went online 2 days before, including close ups of my car, and alleyway to the back. I'm dead against street view now, it's unessasary, and if a see a street view car, it wont have a roof mounted camera afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:08 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Interesting post Coop.

Sorry to hear about being burgled, that's just mad that they came into your house while you were in. Joey and me are a little OTT about keeping doors locked at night, it's times like this I'm glad.

I agree about StreetView, quite a few car forums have inadvertently been advertising locations of desirable cars by posting up 'spotted' threads.

That police officer should be made an example of, sadly I know of a few people both in and out of the police who see being in the force as an opportunity to beat people up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:02 am
I think it must have been pre-scouted as well, as they walkeds through kitchen, straight to point at far side of lounge where the 'saleable' items are, then straight back out. in a way quite hand as no mess or broken stuff, I'm sure the lounge was actually tidyer when I came down in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 pm
different angle...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7993074.stm

and potentially jumping on the band waggon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7998976.stm

with the second one, if your in a potentially violent protest, and start giving abuse, you've got to expect to be hit.

What's interesting to me is the cover up angle in the first link, which would be easy to do with the camera laws.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
Coop wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7998976.stm

with the second one, if your in a potentially violent protest, and start giving abuse, you've got to expect to be hit.

I wouldn't agree with this myself. If the police officer was being pushed about by a man of similar stature then yeah, you'd expect to be taken down a peg or two. But receiving no physical contact from a waif like woman about a foot smaller than him does not warrant a back handed slap then a cosh around the legs.

I for one hope he gets severly disciplined. As MWF says, there are people out there who view a badge as a licence to beat people up legally and without reprimand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:31 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I don't think there are (or should be) any hard fast rules, police officers should be empowered to make their own judgement but only when they can be trusted to be fair and rational.

I do agree with the generalisation that by being part of an aggressive protest you are likely to find yourself physically policed however I also believe every situation is different. When you consider the role of the police at a riot is to control and diffuse any aggression glove whipping a woman and smacking her legs with a baton seems more antagonistic than calming to me.

Thing is though, is it fair to judge the defensive action of officers based on the physical attributions of the offenders? Yes a small woman poses little threat in those terms however being within arms reach and carrying a weapon makes her much more of one. Was the officer in this case simply operating as per police policy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 pm
it appears an over reaction, but there could be a big surge of people approaching off camera, you have to consider what it would be like to be in the middle of a crowd and outnumbered, potentially. you just can't tell from the footage. The tomlinson one is more clear cut, quite clearly not a threat.

What you need is the intelligence and training to quickly assess the training and do the appropriate thing, which is probably quite hard to do.

Its how you can potentially manipulate media and images, which quite a few on here can probably do quite well :o)