Author Message

<  General Chatting  ~  Anyone used parallels ? Fucking amazing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:35 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
As title, for OSX, its simply astounding, so much so I have to post about it, I installed vista in this virtual machine on my macbook, it allows you to run it in a window (obviously), full screen on a 2nd monitor (in this case I have vista on my laptop screen, OSX as normal on my dell 2407) its really quite strange....lol

And also you can run it in coherence mode, its awesome, basically overlays windows on osx in a neat and good manor, basically you end up with a 50% opacity vista start menu running along the topp of the osx task bar along the bottom of the screen, however when you run the windows app it appears in OSX, as normal, just as if osx was windows, its bizarre how it does it, like a normal windows....eer window on the osx working as normal....its so odd

Its also doing all of this on a 2ghz core duo , 2gb ram, intel 950 onboard graphics, and a 320gb laptop hardrive, 2 OS systems at once, and doing it well, fucking awesome

Forget windows, no really, OSX + parallels is FULL of win, you can also run upto 10 OS systems at once, depending on ram, so 3 monitors you can have 3 OS systems in each screen, all seamless and you just move your mouse to the next screen.

I've used VM software before, with varying results, but this is something else.

It just works so flawlessly....*wonders off in utter amazement,lol....*mutters to self...how how how... lol



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
*Runs 1080p video in OSX....and in Vista at same time.....tries to 'break' it...

Only fucking works doesnt it..... totally fine, wtf, its a 2ghz core duo, HOW is it doing this ? Im genuinely confused, from what I can tell its assigned one cpu core to each os (kind of obvious) but its like its managed to exclusively to keep all processes separate and not 50% one core, 50% another....awesome

Its kind of turned OSX into the most awesome bios ever written,ha



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:50 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Interesting Ben, and very positive to read.

I've been considering a move over to Apple recently and been looking to the various ways of running Vista alongside.



_________________
Cookies & Java
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
go for it I honestly cannot think of a better enviroment for programming, ill even film a quick Vid clip later of it in action,haha it's awesome

Actually selling the laptop if u want a cheap entry into the mac world



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:22 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Cheers, I've been looking at the new ones with the mini display port and the LED cinema display.



_________________
Cookies & Java
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:14 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
My next laptop's going to be a Mac.

Parallels is pretty and does the job - but the two guys that both run it here on their MacBook Pro's in the office reckon it's slow as shit. One's running version 3, the other version 4 - 4 is slower. Does the job, neither of them want to spend time in it if given the choice.

VMware Fusion is apparently better, but no virtual-machine is going to offer stunning performance.

lol - Joel, just: "yeah great, but is he actually trying to do any real work on the thing?"

As I say - fine if you need it, but not something I'd want to rely on daily. Joel's is the new MacBook Pro, Matt's the old MacBook Pro.



_________________
- Komrad Jimski
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Strange its really really really quick on mine considering, uploading the video now, its version 4.0.3540.209168 im using.

Are they using 4gb ram ? id see you needing that, im running 2gb and its fine.



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:35 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
to be honest my desires for a Mac come from the koala-tea of the hardware, I'd just install Vista on one. I very nearly committed on Friday but aborted. Still not sure what to get.



_________________
Cookies & Java
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:
the two guys that both run it here on their MacBook Pro's in the office reckon it's slow as shit


combatsquirrel wrote:
Strange its really really really quick on mine considering


Without knowing what people are using them for (I.e what determines real work) and what people deem as fast it's pretty pointless to have this back and forth imo.



_________________
Cookies & Java
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
to be honest my desires for a Mac come from the koala-tea of the hardware, I'd just install Vista on one. I very nearly committed on Friday but aborted. Still not sure what to get.


Thats like wrong man, OSX is one of the best bits of the mac !! lol, seriously just get a PC with higher specs for less money, the specs are pretty good but not amazing, while indeed the build koala-tea its fantastic and they just seem to last and last.

Im selling this macbook and now getting a Macbook pro, have been thinking about it for a month now, 1st I wanted a mac pro, I still do , but they didnt give me finance and its slightly underpowered for the price, then I was thinking the imac, but id need to sell the macbook to fund it, as I don't want to loose having a laptop, there just to darn useful.

So now I've settled on the mid ground, seriously upgrade my laptop and have a little bit of both worlds, spec im getting:

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Backlit Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
* Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
* HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier
* Higher Education AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll

All that lot is £1308, however I get a £60 rebate on the all in one, so its really only a tenner for that, so £1248 grand total.

As soon as I get it im adding my 7200RPM 320gb drive, and upping my ram to 4gb, after that in a long while, ill upgrade it to 6gb which is the max the new mac pros can handle stably (it does take 8gb but apparently osx doesnt like it, officially it maxes out at 4gb, but really it doesnt)



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:45 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Matt Wilcox wrote:
the two guys that both run it here on their MacBook Pro's in the office reckon it's slow as shit


combatsquirrel wrote:
Strange its really really really quick on mine considering


Without knowing what people are using them for (I.e what determines real work) and what people deem as fast it's pretty pointless to have this back and forth imo.


I guess but I guess im abit amazed how far VM ware has come , when I tried it previously it just wasnt stable, never mind running slow,lol, somehow its stable now, my vid I've made is simply showing it working and its niftyness, guess its old hat to jimy and his work buddies who use it all time ! lol



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:51 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
combatsquirrel wrote:
MWF wrote:
to be honest my desires for a Mac come from the koala-tea of the hardware, I'd just install Vista on one. I very nearly committed on Friday but aborted. Still not sure what to get.


Thats like wrong man, OSX is one of the best bits of the mac !! lol, seriously just get a PC with higher specs for less money, the specs are pretty good but not amazing, while indeed the build koala-tea its fantastic and they just seem to last and last.


I know, I would like to get into OSX but it's pointless for me to do it. I just like the hardware, I find PC stuff such a gamble in terms of koala-tea.



_________________
Cookies & Java
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:52 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
combatsquirrel wrote:
MWF wrote:
Matt Wilcox wrote:
the two guys that both run it here on their MacBook Pro's in the office reckon it's slow as shit


combatsquirrel wrote:
Strange its really really really quick on mine considering


Without knowing what people are using them for (I.e what determines real work) and what people deem as fast it's pretty pointless to have this back and forth imo.


I guess but I guess im abit amazed how far VM ware has come , when I tried it previously it just wasnt stable, never mind running slow,lol, somehow its stable now, my vid I've made is simply showing it working and its niftyness, guess its old hat to jimy and his work buddies who use it all time ! lol


I understand, my dad is bonkers on virtual machines and running operating systems within operating systems.



_________________
Cookies & Java
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Here is the really quite bad video excuse my bad camera skills and commenting, oh and cheesy amazement at a working VM, haha (seriously tried running windows on linux before - bag of hurt, also linux on windows VM, another bag of hurt):

*vid taken off as takin up space on me web server, ya shudda watched it by now :P

m4v format sorry, plays in itunes ok



_________________
Image
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
I've always been a huge fan of vmware personally, I prefer Windows as my primary OS using others virtually. VMWare implemented a feature called Unity a while back to compete with the feature you mention Ben. I think it's a good idea in theory and has it's uses, but I prefer to work in an isolatd enviroment sometimes, mixing the two can get a little confusing, but very handy on other occasions!



_________________
My Flickr Photos
Offline Profile E-mail WWW

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC
Page 1 of 2
18 posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
cron