<  General Chatting  ~  You Could Fry an Egg on That!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:19 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Sitting here browsing the net, playing some mukin and fiddling in Dreamweaver, for no other reason than I'm curious I decide to download SpeedFan to see how the laptop runs...

... I wasn't expecting to be able to near-on boil a cup of tea on my laptop! Core 1 topped out at 93 degrees, Core 2 at 92 in the last 15 minutes of logging. Eek!

Is that "normal"? I mean, I run the laptop with the lid closed at home (because of my external) so I expect that to insulate it slightly... but if someone can tell me that it's fine like that it would be grand :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:32 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
whats the processor ? if its intel core 2, then no thats not fine, and leave ur laptop lid open.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:46 pm
Core 2 Duo, 1.8Gz (T5670). It's going back down to the mid 60s when not loaded, but has stabilised in the mid 80s now. I'll see if opening the lid makes a difference, but it didn't do much last time! :?

I think I might invest in a stand to get it off the ground... Going to see what propping it up on a few little cardboard tubes does :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 pm
ok check:

1) Dell arnt running any software that keeps fan speeds down, they do this sometime for quieter computers

2) the thermal max for core 2 is around 100-110c depending on the exact model and stepping, a 1.8 ghz model that is a very high temp, as you can see close to the thermal max

3) it it was mine id be tempted to remove the fan and ram panels and check for dust etc, may be clogging the airflow.

4) at worst attempt try and find processor and reseat the heatsink, as long as it doesnt void the warrenty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Most laptops these days are designed to run fine with the lid closed, due to poeple docking them or attaching external monitors as daws is. Sounds like a bad heatsink, thermal paste issue, I take it your fan is kicking in quite a bit?

Last edited by mattwaddy on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm
Interesting! I'll have a look through the processes for fan stuff, but I can hear the fan going quite nicely so I'm guessing not...

As soon as I lifted the front off the desk it started cooling off - it's into the 70s now - so I'll probably have to grab a stand at some point.

I was going to drop a faster - and slightly bigger - HD and some more RAM in soon anyway so I'll check for dust and the like then, though I've not had it that long! That said, I guess they're only small air holes...

Cheers Ben!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm
Yeah the fan does waft up quite a little bit... So is that a case of taking stuff apart and repasting it? Eek...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 pm
With the vostros (is that what you have?) I belive there is an intake under the latop. I suspect it's not drawing enough air in when its sat on your desk. You can get a cooling stand/riser for laptops which will probably help, usually when docked laptops are raised at a slight angle.

May be worth getting a can of spray duster too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 pm
yeah what waddy said 2, the contact between the heatsink and cpu is suss, get some arctic silver 5 on there, and bolt it very firmly but not over tighten it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 pm
In reply to your other question, yep it would be a case of opening it up, and reseating with a clean run of compound. If it's under warranty you could always speak to dell cs. Explain its running way hotter than usual and fob it on to them, saves you voiding any warranty for the future. Just out of curiosity can you feel underneath which is the hottest area? Just to try and gage where heat might be being generated, I.e. do you have a higher end graphics chipset in there?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm
It is a Vostro yeah Matt... Had never thought of some canned air, good idea! A quick Google reveals on the Vostro 1700 (I have the 1400) it's a full-on whole case off job to get at the heatsink, so I'd rather not go there right now... and it's never crashed or got unstable on me up till now...

Temps are down to 72/73 with the front propped up and the top down (top open made no difference) so I'll get a riser like you say (bit more classy than some spark plug protector tubes :cry:

Thanks for that... quick service and how, lol!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:06 pm
I do have the "proper" graphics card rather than the onboard, I alwayas wondered whether that contributed to it as it does run Vista with Aero at 1920x1200 on my external monitor, so it's always working! The hottest bit as far as I can tell has always been the bottom left hand corner, where the ExpressCard is... The back where the fan is feels much cooler to the touch...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:17 pm
Just found this conversation under "Access the CPU on Vostro 1400":

Quote:
...To access the CPU, you just need to remove the heat sink. First, remove the L-shape cover on the bottom by the vent. Remove the 4 screws (start from #4). Take the heat sink out. Use a flat screw driver to rotate the processor release latch counter-clockwise and lift the CPU out.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166146

So it looks like it might be easy enough to add some better paste to the heatsink without taking the whole thing apart! Thanks for the help so far guys, sorry to be n00b but I may ask for a few tips on the pasting at some point soon too...

Cheers!

[Edit @ 00:07]

Interesting! As soon as I closed down Dreamweaver my temps drop to a stable 48/49 on both cores. I did think it was a bit of a resource hog, but Jesus almost burning my laptop out editing 2 2kb files!? WTF!? Literally as I open DW CS3 the temps begin to climb... now that's wierd! Disaster averted? Just don't use DW?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Does it crash, no. Can you BBQ on it while working, yes! What's your f**king problem Lordson!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am
When you open dremweaver what happens in task manger to your processor usage?