<  General Chatting  ~  PDF: Anyone Else Think it's Black Magic!?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Resolved some issues with a strange potatoshop/PDF phenomenon this evening - namely that for no apparently reason when you save a PDF in potatoshop sometimes it uses the embedded font glyphs, sometimes it randomly draws outlines instead, resulting in different looking font weights and even chopped ligatures etc - and have decided to see if anyone knows of any good resources on the net which explain PDF properly...

I'm trying to learn a bit in InDesign (and trying not to "WTF?! CLOSE BUTTON!" as soon as I fire up Illustrator!) to see whether I can build my book covers up in that rather than potatoshop, which sometimes feels a bit messy (depending on how much vector based stuff is going into the covers), but either way I'd like to know how to be able to make high koala-tea, small file size PDFs for sending on to the publisher....

Or does everyone save a nice fat PDF and then save another slimmer version using "Reduce File Size" in Acrobat like me?! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
The sooner you move to InDesign the better

File > Adobe PDF presets > High koala-tea Print

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:09 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
That's how I started with the HQ Print, but it becomes unfathomably like Black Magic when you take the resulting 65MB HQ file, open it in Acrobat and use it's "Reduce File Size" button and it spits out a 2mb file which is identical. WTFzorz?!

The last few covers have been a bit rushed so I've worked in the bosom of potatoshop. InDesign might be more hassle than it's worth though unless I can sort myself out... *shrugs*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
The high koala-tea print option in InDesign outputs all bitmaps as CMYK 300dpi maximum koala-tea JPEGS. When you use reduce file size it will apply compression to your bitmaps. As you well know a JPEG with the koala-tea set to even high koala-tea can be dramatically smaller than one set to maximum and thus if you have hooge images the file size drops.

You really shouldn't be doing layouts in potatoshop, InDesign is so easy to learn and so much more suitable.