<  General Chatting  ~  Photography Travel Kit

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:51 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
It's the idea that I hadn't already considered these things, you know, BEFORE dropping £600 on the equipment to achieve it. And the suggestion that I don't need lights. I bought lights because that's what I want to try.

And the irony of "it's not the equipment" considering who's talking. And the "energy with your model" from a guy who's model shots feature a bored girl whose face may as well be carved from wood (no matter how nice some of those shots are).

Basically, I was dumbfounded on all levels.

But yeah, sprinkle on just a little more cliche please.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am

Last edited by mattwaddy on Sat May 16, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
yeah thanks for the insult great, your level of understanding as ever blows me away,lol, I happened to have a great energy with alot of the models I've worked with.....a little -too- great in some circumstances, but hey life's an adventure as they say, you've still not answered the question, give me examples, so far as I can see is you've spent £600 on stuff, what you gonna do with it ? im curious.

Its abit of a cliche stuff I said, but im asking a serious question, what you gonna do with it ?

The condescending attitudes I come across on here sometimes...I tell ya, real people persons,lol.

I guess mat spotted the massive condescending-ness thanks to his little popcorn dude,lol

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
combatsquirrel wrote:
...you've still not answered the question, give me examples, so far as I can see is you've spent £600 on stuff, what you gonna do with it ? im curious....

... im asking a serious question, what you gonna do with it ?

To answer your serious question... Quotes by Jimi from this very thread if you read back:

Quote:
I'm thinking of going the light stand route mainly because I think I'll want the height. The sort of shots I'm hoping to take (eventually) are portraits, out in the field, with the whole body in shot. I reckon having additional height available will help with angles. I'm very into the idea of emulating the sorts of shot from my flickr favourites pages: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattwilcox/favorites/

In fact I've recruited Heather to be a model for me while I learn, and point blank admit that my intentions are to try copying a few of those favourites to see how they are done.

The reason for wanting a couple of lights are for controlled "dramatic" lighting - e.g., coloured back-lit highlights and a grid-spot main whilst using ambient. I know - walk before you run, but hey :p

Quote:
I wanted two flashes so I can play - could have kept it at one, but I know what I'm like - justifying getting a second if I've made "ok" pictures with one would be harder for me than just taking the plunge now. After all: is that gelled grid highlight essential to a photo? Not really - but it's nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:18 am
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
thanks, job done, is all I was asking - ta

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:52 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Woooee, I don't think McNelly and co have anything to worry about just yet. That was not a good photographic excursion! So much to learn, and so hard to come up with a good interesting photo. Especially when it's raining outside and the only room to work in is absolutely bare. Still, tried my best anyway, and learnt plenty (mainly, I am gonna have to properly plan each shot; directing, coming up with ideas, AND getting chemistry is so hard).

Will see if any shots are passable to put up later today :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
I still think it's a very complex thing to learn Jimi. Liked your last self portrait, and look forward to seeing your latest incarnations.