<  General Chatting  ~  Photography Travel Kit

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:
I thought about it, but the 580EXII is £350, not £150.

Plus, I don't see the point of getting a flash which will sit on top of the camera - purely as a way of controlling a remote flash - that's bulky, requires another 4xAA batteries, and won't be used as a flash.

A 550 EX is ~ £150, plus u can use it with an off camera cord and it would still wirelessly transmit and then u could have 2 off cam flashes. Id think long and hard about that, espec as you already bought once, same money basically with same features + more, whats the issue ? its essentially something for free, a pack of 4AA batteries is no biggy, I have 4 spare rechargeables if your really being picky that you can have for free ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Dude, I already ordered the transmitter - a nice little thing that sits on the camera and steers the stuff I already have.

Why would I want something that requires a wire and way more space in my bag when the point of the exercise is to avoid wires and travel light? Plus, you know I don't like buying second hand :p

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:47 pm

First test image. Still not got any stands, so the flash was balanced precariously on my clothes drier, and the reflector balanced on a chair, not catching enough light.

I am aware that my expression and pose is gormless. It proved really hard to a) find a pose where I don't look gormless and b) even harder to get my position so the shadow didn't jump out of frame.

Self's are hard.

Anyway, looking forward to the weekend now :)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
really cool shot Jimi, hope the transmitter works out.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:07 pm
Cheers Chris.

I hope so too. I'm keeping hold of the LumoPro and Cactus's while I try it out and see which I prefer. After that, the loser(s) shall be sold.

Of course, that's if the canon trigger gets to me. What IS it with photography equipment?! Ordered from Amazon, in stock, and it's spent the last two days "ready to be shipped". It's supposed to get here tomorrow!

At least my Gel's arrived, I now need to get an elastic band to hold the gel holder onto the flash (because if I use velcro that came with it then my omni-bounce isn't going to fit on the flash).

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 pm
User avatarDr. SuelittlePosts: 1596Location: CheadleJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
That's an ace pic Matt

I don't know how to say this without sounding like your nan but haven't you changed! :mrgreen:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:02 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
He's gone very cool hasn't he. This hasn't gone unnoticed by myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 pm
aww, you guys. *blush*

Sadly, Amazon have now informed me that the Lastolite Ezybox kit can't be gotten hold of, and their supplier says it's discontinued.

On the plus side, the wireless controller arrived today. Had to toddle off and buy a special battery for it (£9 itself). But anyway, that's all working great.

Which now leaves me in a situation where I have a willing model staying over this weekend - but no light modifiers or stands. Which means getting the shots I was hoping for is going to be neigh-on impossible.

I also scoped out Jessops and the camera shop in Colwyn Bay, and neither have any lighting equipment, so a brick-and-mortar solution isn't going to be on the cards.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
£9!!! Eek! Have a check on eBay if it seems to eat batteries... The Chinese make all sorts of obscure rechargeable batteries... I got one for one of my old film cameras as batteries for that were £5+ each a time...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm
Matt Wilcox wrote:
Dude, I already ordered the transmitter - a nice little thing that sits on the camera and steers the stuff I already have.

Why would I want something that requires a wire and way more space in my bag when the point of the exercise is to avoid wires and travel light? Plus, you know I don't like buying second hand :p

:cry: Its not wires foo, its a nice little thing that sits on the camera and steers the stuff you already have, plus you have the option of abit of near cam flash should you need it, buy 2nd hand with warrenty as I do, my canon 20d is doing fine....and is in warrenty ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:37 pm
My point dude is I've already bought the thing. No point faffing about now.

I'm pretty sure I'll sell the manual flash. I'm semi-sure I'll sell the radio transmitter/receivers - depends how well the IR works out "in the field". Hopefully that'll claw back about £150 - which just so happens to be the cost of the canon transmitter; so effectively a straight swap. I gain TTL-II control and high-speed sync at the expense of one manual flash.

Last edited by Matt Wilcox on Thu May 14, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:42 pm
Yeah, you can get it online for about £5 delivered, but I wanted there and then so ponied up the extra.

For this weekend I think I can make do with my shonky camera tripod as a light stand - and I'll see if I can perhaps make a small light diffuser from my ancient and now rather thin white T-shirt, and some crafty ingenuity.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 pm
Ok so thats all very well and good, but what have you got planned photographically ? what sort of shot is it what you want to achieve ? Some of the best portraiture work I've seen is just natural light, of course some with flashes, it all depends on the 'style' you wish to achieve. I think the only thing I can offer is, practice practice and have a good 'energy' with your model, I've found its more about the person and who they are rather than how they look - persay, sort of thing. Standard photoy advice, but as they say the best camera anyone can have is simply the one they have with them, the one thats there to grab a shot etc etc

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 am
*stares at tht last post*

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:
*stares at tht last post*

:shock:

Would you like more photographic cliché to get you past the staring in disbelief bit? :mrgreen: