<  General Chatting  ~  Photography Travel Kit

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:26 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Dawson wrote:
it's about reflective buildings, clouds etc... Had never thought about it like that before!

WTF don't pretend you didn't already know about clouds!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:04 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
I know that they exist? :D

I never paid much attention to clouds other than are they there or not... There's not much I can do about it if they're not there! Strangely I don't actually look up at the clouds, like yesterday photographing a new foal in the field... I was intently watching my shadow appear and reappear on the ground instead!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:40 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
well I thought id go out and have a play today. Didnt get any good shots, got back and found that the battery cover had fallen off the v4 receiver at some point.

whoops.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 am
So I ordered from warehouse express last week:

nano stand, umbrella, manfrotto adapter.

Go the confirmation, then was told they're out of stock. Still heard nothing about it.

Ordered some Lumiquest FXtra Gel's today, after three attempts. Guess what? They emailed to tell me it's actually out of stock.

My Lastolite EZybox kit from Amazon, ordered last week?

Out of stock. Still.

Talk about frustrating! I have a model over next weekend, and I'll have no kit to do anything with. *exasperated smile*

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:53 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Warehouse Express were out of stock with stuff I ordered too a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:17 pm
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that both times their "stock level" indicator has read low, but still in stock.

Bloody annoying.

Still, nothing to be done about it but wait. I just needed to vent.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Had the exact same thing from fotosense the other day, placed an order for the adapters,showing in stock, not heard anything in over a week, spoke to them they said sorry they were out of stock, and didn't have any idea of when they were next available. Cancelled the order, but the stock indicator on the website still shows in stock. Sent them a snotty email!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:34 pm
I got my Hama hot-shoe adapter today, so I could use the V4 without mounting the flash directly on it.

Doesn't bloody work with my Canon speedlight. And no wonder - the middle contact is plastic. But there's a PC cord input on the side.

Like, WTF?

Seriously, it's all enough to make me wonder why the hell I bothered. Other lesson learned: next time I'd fuck getting the LumoPro speedlight and spend the money on a Canon Wireless transmitter instead. I think TTL'd wireless would be a lot more useful than two fully manual flashes.

May sell the Lumo Pro and the Cactus's (though one cactus now has a missing battery cover)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am
Sorry to hear about this Jimi, good of you to be transparency about your findings, a lot of people would have been too proud to admit all the issues you are having.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 am
hehe, it's the only way to learn really - I knew I was letting myself in for all sorts, so it's ok :)

Still up in the air about keeping the LumoPro or selling it and the Cactus's, cancelling my order for the manfrotto stand/umbrella/swivel, and instead getting the wireless controller for £150.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 am
*Sigh*

In addition to the Warehouse Express stock problems, if you want to cancel an order you actually have to phone them up. No online management of your orders. Pants.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:06 am
Found an email contact in their emails.

I've canceled my order for the stand/umbrella etc.

Will see about selling my LumoPro + Cactus V4's.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 am
To be fair to Warehouse Express, it took them only 40 minutes to confirm by email that my order was cancelled, and my second order (for 2x Lumiquest gel packs) had been amended to one pack.

I've now ordered the Canon wireless transmitter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C4G95

And still waiting for the softbox to get back in stock:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0017LNQJ8

I'll be looking to sell the LumoPro and Cactus V4 kit + additional receiver. Cost me about £200, all new, think I'd sell for £160 ish.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:
To be fair to Warehouse Express, it took them only 40 minutes to confirm by email that my order was cancelled, and my second order (for 2x Lumiquest gel packs) had been amended to one pack.

I've now ordered the Canon wireless transmitter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C4G95

At that price is it not worth getting a 580ex2, or mk1, or for similar money a 550ex which would give u an additional flash as well as the same tech as the wireless transmitter ?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm
I thought about it, but the 580EXII is £350, not £150.

Plus, I don't see the point of getting a flash which will sit on top of the camera - purely as a way of controlling a remote flash - that's bulky, requires another 4xAA batteries, and won't be used as a flash.