<  General Chatting  ~  Photography Travel Kit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:27 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
On Wed/Thur I went to see a client in Scotland, I sort of wanted to take my camera equipment with me just in case they wanted stuff doing but all my lighting is quite bulky and I worry about it getting stolen.

I was thinking it would be great to have a camera case that I could just throw in the car and it would keep all my stuff portable and safe.

Anybody got experience to share here? Strobist recently had an article about it which was interesting but with that being American they reference American products.

It's things like a good case which I'm lost on, I've looked at them and they seem really expensive for what they are.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:33 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
No idea I'm afraid :(

At work they have one of those aluminium cases for the 5D, but I know how expensive they can be! Maybe - and I know this might sound a bit like a bodge - you should look at storage cases that bands use for their equipment? They might be cheaper than hugely specced up Photography stuff.

I bet you could fit your lighting stands in drainpiping though, that might not be too expensive if you can block the ends off! /barn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:04 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Well any chance of going cheap has just been eliminated by watching a Chase Jarvis video LOL!

From what I've seen it's looking like the old hard cases have been surpassed by padded rucksacks which can be carried, worn or even rolled.

I'm thinking of getting one of these large Lowe Pro ruck sacks and carry the following

2x Camera bodies
3x Tripods
3x lenses (wide angle zoom, portrait, general zoom)
3x speedlites
Radio poppers
Sync leads
Mem cards
Netbook
2x umbrellas
Gels
Various clamps
Filters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:22 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Jesus Chris, does that bag come with a donkey too? I think you'll need one.

Interesting you list a netbook in there - as a piece of photography equipment, or as a nice to have toy? I'd be interested to know what a netbook brings to the table.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 pm
You think that's a lot to carry, try hauling around three full size strobes, stands, powah cords, barn doors, gels, honeycombs, extension leads etc all in a bag the size of a small person.

You ever shot tethered before? If not imagine being able to inspect and share your photos on a much larger better koala-tea screen while you shoot, save shooting set-ups as profiles that can be recalled instantly, make small tweaks without fear of moving the camera on sensitive macro shots and more. In a studio type scenario it's genuinely really useful - at least I've found it useful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:49 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
I have a Lowepro Nova 5 AW along with a Mini Trekker. Not sure if they still do those product lines but the Nova 5 is excellent. It's a shoulder bag not a rucksack and it comfortably accommodates two SLR bodies (one with vertical grip attached), 3 lenses, flash gun, epson P2000, spare cards/batterys and all the relevant battery chargers and leads for the cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm
Cheers Nath :) Seems LowePro have the market wrapped up, you think they are good koala-tea for the monies?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
Yeah I'd say so, my Nova 5 cost about £55 when I bought it a couple of years ago, the strap has that gel stuff in it so it's easy on your shoulder and the buckles that attach it to the bag are nice and chunky. It's very well padded too and has velcro dividers you can remove to rearrange the inside for the shape/size of your kit.

After a quick google it looks like the Nova 5 has been replaced by the Nova 200.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product ... ku=1028286

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Even with a net book sized screen? Cool :)

Supposedly you can shoot thered with the 350D, but I've never figured out how to do it, and the Canon software never seemed to like it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Interesting Chris, I happen to be putting together slowly but surely a portable set of lighting gear, I have a few speedlights already, just cactus triggers though (on that note how are you finding the radio poppers?)

I have a few homemade accesories and will be getting a couple of lightstands in a couple of weeks. The light stands fold down to 80cm you can get them that go to 50cm but they are out of price range. Basically they come with a bag which will fit the stand a 42" umbrella and swivell bracket. So they should be nice and portable. Ideal for a rucksack? Not sure if you have most of this kit already? The lightstands that are ultra small are the Manfrotto Nano's you can also get some Gitzo ones which are air cushened for the same money.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:40 pm
Nath wrote:
Yeah I'd say so, my Nova 5 cost about £55 when I bought it a couple of years ago, the strap has that gel stuff in it so it's easy on your shoulder and the buckles that attach it to the bag are nice and chunky. It's very well padded too and has velcro dividers you can remove to rearrange the inside for the shape/size of your kit.

After a quick google it looks like the Nova 5 has been replaced by the Nova 200.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product ... ku=1028286

Nice one dude I like that more than a ruck sack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm
Matt Wilcox wrote:
Even with a net book sized screen? Cool :)

The Acer One screen would be OK I think, 15" notebook would be better again but then they get bigger heavier and more expensive.

Matt Wilcox wrote:
Supposedly you can shoot thered with the 350D, but I've never figured out how to do it, and the Canon software never seemed to like it.

Should be a case of installing the software and then when you plug the camera in just run it. Tried it with both my G9 and 450D and it worked well. Also used the Nikon alternative with the D70S but couldn't get it working with the D80.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 pm
mattwaddy wrote:
Interesting Chris, I happen to be putting together slowly but surely a portable set of lighting gear, I have a few speedlights already, just cactus triggers though (on that note how are you finding the radio poppers?)

I think mine are the Cactus ones, they are very cheaply built. I find them invaluable from a convenience point of view. I'm not 100% sure but I think mine are limiting me to 1/200th sec but I need to try my strobes with the synch cord to make sure.

mattwaddy wrote:
I have a few homemade accesories and will be getting a couple of lightstands in a couple of weeks. The light stands fold down to 80cm you can get them that go to 50cm but they are out of price range. Basically they come with a bag which will fit the stand a 42" umbrella and swivell bracket. So they should be nice and portable. Ideal for a rucksack? Not sure if you have most of this kit already? The lightstands that are ultra small are the Manfrotto Nano's you can also get some Gitzo ones which are air cushened for the same money.

I've got 3x full size strobe type light stands which are sprung are are quite heavy, I wouldn't mind carrying a couple. I have a Manfrotto camera tripod which I was a little disappointed with because it arrived broken.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
I think mine are the Cactus ones, they are very cheaply built. I find them invaluable from a convenience point of view. I'm not 100% sure but I think mine are limiting me to 1/200th sec but I need to try my strobes with the synch cord to make sure.

That's what I thought at first when I used the 5D and the strobes at work, but with mechanical shutters whatever they tell you is the maximum sync (200th/250th usually) is your lot and it's not software but hardware limited.

The top sync speed is the last shutter speed where the second shutter curtain begins it's travel across the frame [I]after[/I] the 1st shutter curtain has completed it's travel. Higher than that and the second shutter curtain "chases" the 1st across the frame, exposing what is basically a slit of light across the sensor. That's why although you can go past your highest sync speed with PC syncs etc. you always get a dark bit at one edge of the image or the like... it's actually the 2nd curtain!

I have 3 LowePros and they are very well put together bits of kit... James's rucksack for his 20D and lenses was also very good (I only have smaller bags).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:36 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
I also have two lowepro bags, they are really great, very well thought out. 200th/sec sync speed is my limit also, as dawson has said, I do go higher occasionally when I need too, as long as the black bar due to the second curtain (as daws mentioned) is not going to interfere with the subject.