<  General Chatting  ~  Chris Inspired me to purchase this

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 pm
User avatarPosts: 101Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:00 am
Having watched Chris's Jeep thread with interest when he first got it, I thought hmm thats tasty wouldnt mind one of them, then promptly did nothing about it as my Daily Driven 940 was too reliable.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and a torque rod snaps on the volvos rear axle, Its currently up in the air still with no axle now, I Hate siezed bolts!!!!!

Getting fed up with getting cold, soaked and riding a motorbike in this weather at 4am the morning I decided to cast my eye around for some cheap wheels on tuesday. My critea was Cheap, Local so didnt have to travel far to get it, a longish MOT so that I could at least get some use out of it after I repaired the 940.

Browsed ebay and set critera to nearest to me and found this 5 miles away. There was one terrible picture and a little bit of a description, but I thought I'd chuck a bid in for £300 and hope for the best, if it was crap I could weigh it in and not lose too much money.

94 4.0 Auto, 112k on the clock 10months mot, 2 months tax and once was owned by a celebrity.

If you can call Gary Beadle who Played Paul Truman in Eastenders a celebrity, the seller thought so, I just thought oh well.

Seems to go really well, I just love to loaf along in it, occasionally kicking the box down and gunning the beast to scare people.

The faults the seller listed were the dash lights sometimes worked.
I got in and realised the reostat was on the headlight switch, so just turned it up full. (also discovered tonight turning it further clicks the interior lights on)

Drivers electric window only works when door is open, I suspect thats a broken wire going through the hinge, but its easy enough to open the door to put up with it, so I'll live with it.

Just need to find some cheap tyres as a couple of tyres I think are perhaps borderline at going illegal. Browsing ebay for some cheap alloy sets with semi decent tyres. Also trying to find a cheap towbar as missing my 940's ability of towing at the moment.

I don't plan to spend any cash on it, as will just throw it away if it breaks, but spent £3 on a pair of wiperblades for the front today.

But looking forward to taking it green laning or off roading a little, when I have some tyres with some tread.

Chris a few questions if you wouldnt mind answering..

Any good Jeep Forums I can browse???

Also what temp does yours run at, mine seems to sit at about 70-80ish C on the gauge. It doesnt look right to me as you'd expect gauges to point upwards to show things are normal, but then again upwards is 100c so would be too hot then I think.

Also looks like its doing as well on the juice as the 940 was doing, so far done 150miles on a half a tank. Does the lower half of the tank last as well as the first half. Can you trust the gauge's accuracy???

I filled it up the other day as the fuel light kept blinking on and off as I accelerated and braked, allthough when on the level it showed reasonable fuel levels, but didnt want to get stuck so just topped it up.

I played slightly with teh 4x4 lever today, I'm pretty sure, but I guess you have to be stationery to engage any of the other positons??

low range worked fine, putting it in 4x4 permantent worked but it whined when on the road, so went back to 2wd.

Allthough shifting it back to 2wd took quite a bit of pushing and pulling on the lever to get it to extinquish the lights.

But overall I'm really happy with it, and am toying with breaking the 940 for bits and making this my Daily driver instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Awesome ! nice 1 dude :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Top banana dude!!!! Welcome to the world of 1980's American design koala-tea combined with French electrics.

The window switches on all the passenger doors on mine only work if you open the drivers door all the way :cry:

chesh740r wrote:
Any good Jeep Forums I can browse???

www.rockznrutz.com < the club I am in (free to join)
www.birtydastardsjeepclub.com/forum/
www.jeepforum.com

chesh740r wrote:
Also what temp does yours run at, mine seems to sit at about 70-80ish C on the gauge. It doesnt look right to me as you'd expect gauges to point upwards to show things are normal, but then again upwards is 100c so would be too hot then I think.

Mine usually sits off to the left, it also moves around a lot, this is normal along with the oil pressure gauge doing an impression of a windscreen wiper.

chesh740r wrote:
Also looks like its doing as well on the juice as the 940 was doing, so far done 150miles on a half a tank. Does the lower half of the tank last as well as the first half. Can you trust the gauge's accuracy???

Lower half goes faster I'm afraid.

chesh740r wrote:
I filled it up the other day as the fuel light kept blinking on and off as I accelerated and braked, allthough when on the level it showed reasonable fuel levels, but didnt want to get stuck so just topped it up.

Yes when you accelerate and brake the guage will move up and down and if it drops below a certain level the warning light will come on for ages.

chesh740r wrote:
I played slightly with teh 4x4 lever today, I'm pretty sure, but I guess you have to be stationery to engage any of the other positons??

low range worked fine, putting it in 4x4 permantent worked but it whined when on the road, so went back to 2wd.

Allthough shifting it back to 2wd took quite a bit of pushing and pulling on the lever to get it to extinquish the lights.

You can engage full time 2wd and full time 4wd while travelling at speed, personally I don't. Part time 4wd and low range need to be engaged with the auto box in in neutral and will drop in better if you back up a foot or two after selecting them, or select them while rolling forward slowly. The melt down panel will tell you all sorts of nonsense but you should be able to tell easily from the feel of the steering and the gear rations what setting you are in.

Whining is a little worrying, maybe the transfer case or front diff it's only doing it in 4wd? Might be worth topping up with fluids.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:44 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30V5vnYHzk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am
User avatarPosts: 101Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:00 am
Thanks for answering the questions there chris, think I'm going to chuck a 5litre fuel can in the boot and then just see how many miles I can get out the tank before fuel light bingo scares me too much and I fill it up again.

Thought I could smell coolant when I was driving it this morning, looked today and I think the heater matrix is leaking, was wondering why the coolant level was low.

Looked on those excellent forums you sent me the links to and I think Radweld is my friend, I'm not going through the agony of matrix change on a cherokee. It was bad enough on the Volvo, the jeep looks a lot worse, besides its against my ethics for this car.

There is no whining from the front when its in 2wd normal, but I'll have a proper play later today with the 4x4 system. Just need to find somewhere to have a little green lane play session.