<  General Chatting  ~  Photo printers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:19 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I've recently been getting into print outs of photos, I've got a load of Flickr favourites on the wall to act as inspiration, and another lot of shots from events in 2007 (I've yet to select and print the 2008 batch).

I'm currently using my rather long-in-the-tooth Epson 890 Photo printer, which offers pretty good koala-tea, but it's slow as hell and the cartridges are expensive (£40 black, £30 colour). In the past I've done a few prints then left it alone for months, come back to it and the print heads are dry and un-usable.

So, I've heard about a new (to me) type of printer that does one size only (A5 would be great), they are apparently very fast, have reasonable koala-tea output, and you buy the cartridge/paper at the same time.

That sounds good to me, as I can spit out a batch of small print outs fast, and use the 890 for anything bigger if needed.

Trouble is I know literally nothing more. Does anyone know anything about this style of printer? Anyone have recommendations or point to somewhere that'll give a decent selection and review?

The Polaroid PoGo looks cool, but it's a new technology and I'm dubious about the koala-tea (no ink?) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Digita ... 33&sr=8-10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
I really like my PoGo, I would say the most accurate description of it's koala-tea etc. is when it's described as a printer for your mobile phone pictures, even though you can Bluetooth them from your poncuter and the like. They're only 2x3" prints so not exactly huge, and in a very Polaroid way the colours/tones seem to shift slightly with every new batch of paper, but I kind of like that... it goes with the territory koala-tea/technology-wise.

I've started to print my photos off and stick them (they're sticky-backed) in a Moleskine Watercolour Sketchbook (the pocket, not the large) which to me is perfect; being small prints they sit in the small book quite well.

If you're at all worried about "koala-tea" in your prints I'd steer clear - they're very good for such a small printer with no ink, but that is always going to be a limiting factor.

Perhaps just a small 6x4 dedicated photo printer is what you need? Though personally I would just use Photobox, it's so cheap, especially the more prints you go for...

Incidentally, Polaroid have just brought out a PoGo camera/printer... Cool, but no "proper" Polaroid...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:27 pm
Some PoGo printouts for you Jimi; all printed directly from the 600 x 900 images on my site (quite handy that!) so you can check out the originals against the prints if you like. I always resize to 600 x 900 both because I'm usually about to upload them and also because 2"x3" @ 300dpi is.... 600 x 900! You might notice a green tinge in the middle B&W photo... it seems to always do this, although I've printed out true black on white (a vector image) and had no greens, so maybe it's a grey - or rather green - scale thing...

5 PoGos @ 300dpi:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:43 pm
That's pretty cool, thanks for the feedback Daws.

2"x3" is likely too small for what I'm after, although I can see the appeal in sticking them in a little booklet, and perhaps it's something I'd do later on. I think I'm after a 4"x6" though, which is what I'm using at the moment, and while I know that colour accuracy shouldn't really be that important for the type of use I'm thinking of - I'd have a niggling doubt if things kept shifting around.

I'll have a look into the Canon ones, I've just found out that they do dye-sublimation printers now! Also, the little 'roid camera/printer is very cool.

*ponders* no ink does mean no dried up print nozzles though, and far less waste. Photobox is a good suggestion but I'm too impatient and I'd rather be able to print one off, look at it, fiddle a bit, print it off again, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 pm
No worries, thought the PoGo might be a bit too small print-wise for what you wanted (on walls you'd have to lean in just to look at them!) but thought I'd put it out there as I think they're quite fun and might get a bad press for "crap" size and koala-tea when that kind of isn't the point of them...

I have seen some of those dye-sublimation printers, they are weird things - it "prints" the yellow, then sucks the paper back in etc. - but as far as I can remember the print koala-tea seemed to be OK. Not as good as "normal" prints, but definitely good enough for wall hanging and the like.

I would do some sums on print-by-print costs against Photobox say, but then I know you can't put a price on those times when you just need a print -right then-... just depends on how often that happens!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:50 pm
You know the more I think of it a little 3x2 print would be great. I keep a small diary, and as usual they have tons of pages either side full of crap you don't need to know - it's be wicked to stick photos onto those at the end of the year, little photo's from the events in the diary. Stick it all in a box and re-visit it in a few years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Hehe, yeah, it's kind of the conclusion I came to with the PoGo after spitting prints out all over the place and thinking how cool it was!

It actually came about when Katie, her mum and me took Katie's 2 year old nephew down to feed the ducks at Rocester and I took some snaps on my Fuji F20. Got back, printed 8 or 9 out and stuck them on an A4 page along with lots of crayon drawings of ducks and "Billy's Birthday Day Out" written (again, in crayon, for effect :cry: ) across the top. It looked so cool when it was done we bobbed down into town, got a frame for it and gave it to his parents as a bit of a birthday present for him... Wasn't long after that I started pining for yet another Moleskine to do that for myself :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 pm
Dye-sublimation is a nice print process, it doesn't suffer from the dots you get from other printers, even under a microscope. Of course, I've never had a problem with the dottiness of a printer so it's a rather anal technical point. The best bit is that they are effectively laminated as part of the print process, making them UV and water resistant, and also they can be touched right out of the printer without waiting for things to dry - they don't smudge. And depending on the implementation dye-sublimation has a wider colour gamut than using inks. Also, you get true gradients with this process, as opposed to the banding/dotting of inks - though that'll only be noticible on subtle things like sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sublimation_printer has some good info ("Coupled with the final laminate coating, prints from a dye-sublimation printer look similar to those developed from a photochemical lab." in particular piqued my interest.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:03 pm
Yeah, checked out the wikipedia entry... Like I say I only had a small exposure to them and it could've been a nasty digital camera not the printer. Perhaps get a 6x4 dye-sublimation printer for the times you -really- need a print there and then and use Photobox the rest of the time? Sounds wasteful but if there are no heads to clog and the ink rolls don't "go off" you might buy the printer and it last you a year before you even need refill it if you only use it for the odd "need print now!" moment... and if you end up preferring it and using it more and more it's no big deal...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:21 pm
That's what I'm thinking too. The main issue with my Stylus is it's achingly slow, and the nozzles dry up so I end up wasting half cartridges. A Selphy model would solve that issue, and they come to about 20p per 6x4 print, which I've no complaints about.

The main issue with Photobox is I'm an impatient git.

Damn, I like the sound of the PoGo too now. Decisions decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:37 pm
I didn't realise you could get it as low as 20p a print... that's not that bad. Once you're set up with printer, you break even with Photobox at 15 prints in one go, and thereafter Photobox is 10p cheaper for each further print. Below 15, because of the standard £1.50 postage, home printing wins. Plus you get it instantly with a SELPHY and you can't put a figure on that :cry: ...

I say SELPHY and PoGo ftwz... Shame you have an iPhone as I don't think it's compatible with the PoGo... typical! :roll:

Or SELPHY and cheap guillotine for 4x3 prints for a diary/book :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 pm
Don't tempt me with both! lol!

Yeah, apparently it's about 18p per print, but of course that depends on how much you buy and where from.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/printers/ ... Printer/p2

I have a guillotine, so I think it'll be down that route ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:38 pm
Crikey, they're well cheap! And £20 for the 109 page job!?

Bollocks to the guillotine, at that price and with your full time job I shall mock you if you don't get a PoGo too :cry:

*marks a SELPHY up as yet another gadget to play with*

So many gadgets, so little time!!!!!!! ARGH! :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:26 pm
Just ordered the Selphy CP-760.

Didn't get any extra media for it though as Amazon is confusing over what media it ought to be and Canon's website helpfully tells me that no 7xx series has any paper/ink related to the product at all.

Canon's site is atrocious though. Even requires a www - doesn't refresh or point you at anywhere, just delivers a server 404. Canon, get on it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:16 am
speaking of polaroid, this may interest you...

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/beta/

Viva la polaroid!