<  General Chatting  ~  Photo printers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:40 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:

Canon's site is atrocious though. Even requires a www - doesn't refresh or point you at anywhere, just delivers a server 404. Canon, get on it!

Interesting isn't it, quite a few global companies have very poor Web sites, I guess they just don't value them highly as a sales tool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 am
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I think the problem with them is that word: "global". They seem to be unable to get their house in order and I reckon it's far more about organisation and internal politics than it is they don't understand the value of a good site.

Or at least I'd be shocked if a company like that still doesn't "get it".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Maybe it's politics. I've been on so many consumer electronics sites to find them absent of any flair, old fashioned and sometimes even out of date, just seems to be a trait of the industry. I wonder if it's just because their businesses are built on churning out products and supplying wholesalers and retailers with sales material, they aren't end user orientated because they don't need to be, the retailers do that. It only seems to be the manufacturers with direct to customer sales routes (eg Sony, Acer, Apple) who have sites with good product information and decent brand building.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 pm
You've a good point there too. Perhaps they don't realise that end-consumers want to do research there rather than rely on distributors and magazines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:07 pm
That's my beef Jimi, I quite often find myself going to the manufacturers site for more info only to find it's a real disappointment. For instance I went to Canons site only the other day to look and lenses, what a let down.

Nikon on the other hand, they do a lot more selling on their site.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Exactly the same for me, except it was printers not lenses. I've don't the same with lenses though.

As an example: try finding out what the difference is between ANY of the Selphy models. There's the 740, 750, 760, and 770, they range from about £60 to £120 - and I have not a clue what differentiates any of them. So I went on canon's site to find out, where they have a 'compare' option. Looking at the specifications they all do the same things. No help whatsoever. I [I]still[/I] don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:44 pm
Epson also requires the www. And without it send a default server 404.

Retards, the lot of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 pm
Typically, I went to Staples today, and they don't sell any canon printers, and none of the cartridge/paper packs for my new printer.

Guess I'll have to order some of that online too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 pm
Got the Selphy today, and I'm pleased to say that I'm really impressed with it. Admittedly, it only came with 5 papers, and two of those were "wasted" configuring Lightroom to spit out borderless properly - but the three I've got out of it are really good koala-tea. They look and feel exactly like photo's from back isn't' day where you picked them up from Boots. I've got 108 sheets + cartridges coming, but thanks to naff shipping on all Amazon affiliate stores, it'll be Fri/Mon before I can have a real play.

It's pretty fast printing, and it's quite entertaining watching the photo build up - it prints the yellow first, then the magenta, then the cyan, then a coating. All in about a minute.

koala-tea wise it's better than the Epson Photo 890 I have - with the caveat being you can't have Matte prints and you're stuck with 8x4 or 6x4. Which is fine by me.

On the negative side (shush Ben :p) While it's certainly "compact" it's not very portable, and while printing it needs deskspace. It doesn't run off a battery unless you want to go buy one from Canon, and the paper drawer sticks out as much again as the printer, plus it spits the paper out the back-end too, so you essentially need three times the depth of the printer in order to print. And a powah outlet. So it's no competitor for the PoGo in portability stakes. Nor does it print wirelessly unless you go buy Canon's bluetooth dongle.

All in all, well chuffed with the little blighter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:19 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Boooo, no matt! Love matt finish...

Aside from that though it sounds rather spiffing, and your guillotine will still come in useful to snip the perforated end tags a bit cleaner I suspect! How much was the printer and then the 108 print pack if you don't mind me asking?

You still want a PoGo... I can tell... GIVE INNNNNNN! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 pm
To be fair although the printer adds a laminate, it's not [I]especially[/I] shinee. I've only seen it with the lights on as opposed to natural sunlight, but you can't tell it's on until the angle's enough to directly reflect a bulb. It sure as hell isn't matte though, and I agree - I love me my matte photo's I do.

The printer was £78, and a pack of 108 papers + required cartridges was £19 (£23 if you include P&P though).

The Selphy 760 is apparently the late 2008 update for the previous year's Selphy 740.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
That's not bad at all... I shall keep it in mind... be good to hear how you feel about it once you've burned through your first 108 print roll!

I did spy a small photo printer at Katie's next to her all-in-one this morning... I wonder if that's a dye sublimation one. If it is, in the words of a Cheadle High student circa 1998... TAXED! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Yeah, it'll be good to throw some varied things at it and see how it handles them. I've not tried the direct printing from a memory card, to be honest that's not the sort of thing I'm looking for so I doubt I'll be able to report much from that front.

One thing I did note, one of the shots I printed (from my fujifilm compact) was very saturated compared with on-screen. That, however, could as easily be my shitty laptop screen lying as the printer. The other shots seemed very close.

Yeah, 18p/22p per print depending on whether you include the postage. Which you would really, but if you could find a local stockist then maybe you can get that 18p "for real".

Also, worth taxing indeed - but I've no idea if all dye-subs are created equal or not. Presumably they're all pretty close considering they take identical media.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 am
SWEETNESS!

The photo papers arrived today! They weren't supposed to dispatch until this morning. Woo!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
haha it has a big green button, I like it.

Whats print koala-tea like ?