<  General Chatting  ~  BMW Z3's anyone ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
On a totally random other subject, BMW Z3's anyone ? I've got an inkling for a soft top roadster, thats not overly priced and reliable, and much fun, my 306 is getting abit long in the tooth, and I get pissed off at people asking me for lifts, so a 2 seater cuts that problem by a factor of 3 :wink:

I had a natter to Mr J Foster and he reckons go for the 2.8 petrol, his reasoning being there less likely to of been thrashed and the engine powah there is just right for the chassie, a 1.9 apparently is underpowered and likely to of been trashed alot.

My other considerations are course the MX-5, not to keen on the body shape though.

Z3's I've seen go for anywhere between 3.5 to 8k depending on age, you guys know of any problems with them ? My daily drive is 10 miles (one way), about 110 miles a week, so petrol costs wouldnt be that hard to swallow, and in summer id love the open top and abit of fun through snowdonia on way work, any problems or issues that are well known with them would be good to know.

Aiming for a mid summer purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
I wouldn't mind a Z3 M.

<beware>The 2.8 and 1.9 are hairdresser territory.</beware>

:drink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:32 pm
Nath wrote:
I wouldn't mind a Z3 M.

<beware>The 2.8 and 1.9 are hairdresser territory.</beware>

:drink:

I guess anyone after a softtop 2 seater roadster would have the hair dresser label, but I want one for a) a new car b) something fun to drive to work, 2.8 is probably over powered for what I want, it will be used daily so I need powah vs running cost considerations

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:36 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I say go for it and John sounds right to me, the 1.9 will be very underpowered. Now seems to be a good time to pick up cars like that but may be even better in six months.

My advice though is to get a firm insurance quote as it might be quite high.

As Nath has pointed out they have a very hairdresser image and added to that you've got the BMW stigma, but don't buy a car on what other people think.

Also bear in mind they are rwd, I don't know if you get bad weather on your route to work but it could be a nightmare if you do.

Another consideration should be the Honda S2000 which was rated number one in one of the Top Gear owner surveys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:42 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
Aye the S2000 is a gem, VTEC is a wonderful thing. Just a shame they hold their value so well (but with good reason).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:45 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Nath wrote:
Aye the S2000 is a gem, VTEC is a wonderful thing. Just a shame they hold their value so well (but with good reason).

Not a shame if you own one I guess! I would really like an S2000, one of the few sports rag tops that stills manages to be manly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:45 pm
oh eer a new thread was magically made.

Yeah it fits the bill for what I want, I don't get how those cars are hair dresseer cars, so im not bothered by it, dunno what means, haha.

I want it for the obvious reasons :) fun to drive and a nice non what ya normally would go for car.

Ooh I do like the look of the Honda S2000, yeah checked out the insurance on the Z3, fully comp with protected claims and legal is £557 for 1.9, £624 for 2.8 :) , not cheap but not stupid either.

Yeah will remember the RWD, don't want to die or anything, worst I've seen so far is heavy rain, its ment to snow this week, ill see what the road is like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:48 pm
£624 sounds fantastic to me, especially for a 2.8 roadster, go for it Ben, always buy with passion not logic I say!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Nath wrote:

Not a shame if you own one I guess! I would really like an S2000, one of the few sports rag tops that stills manages to be manly.

Absolutely agree. I said to myself if I had £10k to lob on a car it would be an S2000... gorgeous.

But then I noticed you can get Jaguar S-Type Rs for £10k and the S2000 went out of the window... Marquist or what :cry:

I wouldn't have a BMW personally and would definitely agree with the 1.9 being a bit weedy (it has a shocking 0-60 if I remember rightly!) but as Chris said you don't buy a car on other people's opinions.

One good thing about all the MX-5s is the huge fan/parts base for them, but if they don't light your fire there's no point!

RWD is a fair consideration too as Chris says; it scares me what fat tyres do the characteristics of modern RWDs. They stick and stick and then scare the shit out of you when they let loose, whereas the Spit/2000 on skinny tyres was infinitely catchable...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Yeah not bad quote, that was just off tesco online, im sure id get cheaper if I put some effort in, the joys of being 26 years old.

heres one:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... egLetter=R

:mrgreen:

Pah its automatic, don't want that, but someething like that would be good, manual, 2.8, silver/black etc
*starts saving money

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:27 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
I remember wanting to slap Steve Foster round the mouth when he quite happily gave back the nicely trimmed silver 2.8l loaner Z3 for his leathered-up-with-M-sport touches 1.9l. Totally missed the point :wall:

Always liked the back of the Z3... and the Z4... they do arses well I guess!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 pm
Hmmm sweet looking MX-5's going for 1.5 to 2k, then could save more and get a 2000, they look lubberly but there 8-9 k :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:04 pm
The good thing about MX5's is if you like messing with things and personalising your car they have loads of parts available.