<  General Chatting  ~  Think I may have fooked my PC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:26 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Yesterday I fired up the central heating to make sure it was all working ok for the winter. I bled it all off but when tested mid day the temp just rose and rose.

I turned it off and let the house cool down and then turned it back on in the evening with the thermostat turned right down to see if it would shut off and stabilise at a certain temp.

While Joey was working I decided to play Company Of Heroes. The temp was something like 24 degrees in the room when I started but continued to rise as I played the game. After a while I noticed my CPU temp alarm was going off. This used to happen a lot but when I changed the CPU, overclocked it, changed the heatsink and fan arrangement it hadn't done it since. I wanted to open the window but with both kittens in the room this was too risky (they try to climb out).

So anyways with the alarm blaring and the temp still rising I foolishly continued to play on my heavily overclocked PC :cry: I'm not sure what I was thinking really. Anyway after about another 15 mins it blue screened and went into restart. I had a paddy whack as I was kicking some Nazi ass, through the kittens out the room and opened the window with the door shut and let the poncuter idle. The alarm went off almost right away.

I didn't use it much last night but this morning it has already crashed twice, the first time it just restarted by itself and the second it froze. There is certainly something up with it, it's been 99% rock solid until now.

So if this continues I am left with little choice other than to either try and fix this one or simply by another. I have been intending to buy a new PC at some point.

Any recommendations on the sort of spec I should be looking at? Am I right in assuming even the most budget of PC's around at the moment should be more powerful than my old Athlon XP 2400 with 1Gb of ram?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:36 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Bugger.

Don't try and shamelessly blame the kittens though, you should have let them out as soon as the alarm started going off. :bat:

Might be worth looking at the Dell stuff, that's quite good value for money isn't it and then you can spec what you need.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
LOL!

Ze Nazis have been effecting the Final Solution on your heating dude! :cry:

If it's fubarred then as Jo says look at Dell, did I mention on here a wee while ago that I was winding Scott up about his old Clunkmaster 2000 PC and specced him a dual core Dell mini tower up for £300!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 am
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
You played on because you want a new PC.

And yes, you have fried the crap out of the processor. It might work again if you clock it down - but not for long, you've effectively burnt the pathways out.

Any PC you get will be faster than that. Ben was only complaining yesterday about having to sell his monster system for £380 because Tesco have on the same spec for £400. That's a Quad Core system, with 2Gb RAM, monitor, and decent HD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:51 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Well that's good to hear, I have been looking at Dell and the £200 base units look very tempting. I was just worried they might be less powerful than mine or something, god knows what a top end system must be like to use, I think it would be too fast for me :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:54 am
On a PC powah note, can anyone tell me why it takes some sort of gargantuan amount of processing powah to run a 1080p video? Is Quicktime just some sort of processing whore putting itself about when it doesn't need to, or am I missing something here...

I imagined my dual core laptop should've wafted through a 1080p trailer... but it's ever-so-slightly stuttery... PWN3D :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Well that's good to hear, I have been looking at Dell and the £200 base units look very tempting. I was just worried they might be less powerful than mine or something, god knows what a top end system must be like to use, I think it would be too fast for me :cry:

I have to say actually, yours is a lot slower than mine at work so you'll probably see a real difference even with the cheapest Dell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:11 am
Because, believe it or not, the sheer amount of processing required to decode that much data is mind boggling. it's a 1920x1080 image 24-30 times per second. e.g., a 2Mp image 30 times per second. Decoded too, not just flashing it up. So that's outputting over 50Mb/sec of raw data, not including the cycles required to decode the compression.

It has to do a lot of work. And yes, it requires a dual core processor, and it requires the slow ones to be in performance mode not powah saver.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:18 am
Next tiem Dawson will think about that before he asks...

You're totally right Jimi and I knew you would explain it... 30 2megapixel images decoded every second... I'll forgive the laptop then :cry:

I'll try it in powah mode, though on Dell I think only battery saver mode turns the processors down; balanced mode which I tried it in should be normal...

Typical, I buy a laptop, it's ace. Get a 24" monitor which will play 1080p and now I need a new poncuter! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:38 am
It should be OK in high performance I think, though it may depend on the video chipset (certainly a decent chipset helps enormously). Mine's been fine at 720p, but I've never tried 1080p, and that's a big jump up. It likely won't help that it's onto a secondary monitor unless you've got a dedicated accelerator in there?

How are you finding the 24"er?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am
Yeah, I downloaded the 720p trailer shortly afterwards and that is definitely sharp enough even stretched slightly... and after all, I'm spoiling myself rotten with 720p compared to all my DVDs, so it might not be too clever to gawp at HD content too much :cry:

So chuffed with the monitor you would not believe... I am the slowest of slow adopter - not out of choice usually but out of finances - so I have wanted a big monitor for years and years. Sat in front of it basking in it's glow last night and thought "Fook me yes, this will do!". Colours out of the box seem really good, there isn't that much colour change vertically or horizontally and I feel like a pro just being in front of it!

It will definitely come in handy though, little things like viewing the original jpegs I outputted for Pies's photoshoot (1600 px longest side I think) at 100% with plenty of space around, when before I had that with the resized web ones (900px longest side) :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 am
I'm thinking of getting the same monitor as you Daws.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 am
O RLY YOU LITTLE PERTON SCAMP!

I would say it couldn't be faulted for the cash; £263 from eBuyer with free next day delivery (I would've paid the extra for next day anyway, the impatient little shite that I am :cry: ) and 5 out of 6 stars from PC Pro.

And a Dawson recommendation. What more do you need?! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 am
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Likely hood of burning out the processor is less than 1%, more likely duffed the ram in this situation, what was the rough temp of the system before it cacked it ?, it would probably work underclocked with a TINY bit more volts.

Its likely the interconnect between cpu and chipset to ram, sort of thing, more hassle than its worth so your right to look at just getting a new one.

As for new systems, yeah anything is better now than that, just get 2gb ram versions, or the lowest end and pay like 15 squid for double ur ram by doing it yourself

As for graphics, you can pick up 2nd hand nvidia 8800GTX cards now for £70-80 which would run company of heroes maxxed out at 1920x1200 at 50fps.

Also all new dedicated gfx chipsets decode HD video now, so will always run fast.

What particular system were you looking at ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 am
A Dawson recommendation is all I need.

Just weighing up whether to get a big wide-screen or two normal aspect jobbies.