<  General Chatting  ~  Ooh oh oh ouch ouch ouch ouch e e e ouchy ouch ouch oucccchh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Ha blimey ill make sure I never put up off the cam shots again :mrgreen: , ill edit them and repost, no one will ever know :wink: :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:19 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
I know you bought your Sigma 2nd hand so please don't take this as a "Here is how you should've spent your money, dumbass", especially as you'd have to know someone in the States as these are all $$ prices from B&H Photo, and I also don't have even close to the amount of money needed for either of these solutions so to me it's a little like arguing I'd buy a DB9 over an F430, but this is how the numbers crunch to me...

Sigma:

Sigma Telephoto 150mm f/2.8 EX APO Macro EX DG HSM - $665.90
Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter - $219
Sigma 2x EX DG APO Teleconverter - $239

Total: $1123.90

[I]Result: 150mm prime, 210mm prime, 300mm prime[/I]

Canon:

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - $1624
Canon 2x II Extender EF - $290

Total: $1914
[I]
Result: 70-400mm zoom (70-200mm, 140-400mm)[/I]
[I]
OR[/I]

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM = $1024.95
Canon 2x II Extender EF - $290

Total: $1314.95

[I]Result: 70-400mm zoom (70-200mm, 140-400mm)[/I]

The L [I]f [/I]2.8 is more expensive sure, but in some respects thanks to IS you would get back most of the lost light if you bought the the [I]f[/I] 4... I'm just trying to show you what I mean - and perhaps others mean - when I say that a zoom would to me be the more flexible option...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 pm
oh yeah for sure, zooms have a better usefulness in terms of zooming, obviously, again as with most things its all personal preference, right now im just preferring prime lenses :), they really are better performing lenses than zooms, but obviously the price of this is you have to zoom with your feet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:49 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
*walks into thread*

*brain explodes*

*walks out again, a hollow husk of numbness*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:43 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
combatsquirrel wrote:
Ha blimey ill make sure I never put up off the cam shots again :mrgreen: , ill edit them and repost, no one will ever know :wink: :P

It's got nothing to do with coming straight off the cam, these are fundementally poor Ben, bad setup, bad lighting, bad poses, I can't believe you are making out to be so good at portrait photography and then posting these up. The only good thing about the shot is she's a pretty girl, despite you managing to make her look like some saggy titted flabby corn beef armed zombie (which I am sure she isn't in real life since Jimi and you are pawing over her).

The 50mm fraggle nose shot totally proves my earlier point about standing too close.

I mean FFS you go on about being professional and show these, I still can't believe it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:01 am
I'm trying not to sound like I am jumping on the bandwagon here Ben, but I have to concur with Chris' sentiment, and Matt's even more so: "Great equipment won't make a good photographer unfortunately". I don't profess to have even the remotest expertise with portraits but back in April this year my sister popped up to see me in a bit of a flap because she was being interviewed for a magazine and needed a headshot - anything would do - to send off to the editor... that very day. We walked outside, she stood and smiled and I took maybe 6 pictures of her...

I'm not saying this is perfect, it's not even remotely so; I don't have the full file any more as it was just a snapshot but I remember it not even being that sharp(you can tell even at this size really), but without sounding like I am coming across as some portrait pwn doctor or even just such a good photographer that I can effortlessly turn my hand to any discipline, I can't say that for your all your equipment, your studio, your lenses, your DSLR etc. etc. that your shots are better than this one... a snapshot... and that's not great is it? Not if you're trying to get pro with all this...

(Let me state again, this is not some arrogant "I rule more than you with a nifty 50, a crappy 20D and my sister" or a gratuitous post trying to slide a "successful" image from myself in to the conversation... but you cannot fall back on the oft-used "straight out of the camera" argument...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:30 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
When I was doing some photography at a clients they randomly decided they wanted head shots of all staff (around 50 people). I was there to just do some PR and products shots. I had to setup a quick mock photostudio using their meeting room.

I shot these with my 450D and the Tamaron Ben so lovingly mocked back when I got it. Plus my cheap chinese studio lights. All costing less than a 40D body. I don't profess these to be perfect, far from it, nor do I profess to be some professional portrait photographer (certainly far from it), in fact these are really the first I've ever taken.

My point is, they aren't exactly hard to do, they are simple.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Simple Chris, and very effective. Good use of lighting

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:12 pm
mattwaddy wrote:
Simple Chris, and very effective. Good use of lighting

Cheers Matt much appreciated, wish the meeting room had been longer and then I could have moved the makeshift background further back and got more of a blur behind them. I also had the ISO down too low in the office shots which seperated the lit person from the background too much - what can I say I was nervous the center of attention and I made mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:25 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Daws, that shot is excellent, looks lovely :)

Chris, those are good shots, hard to believe they were your first attempt, and especially good given the location you had to work with.

Man, I need to get some idea and some free time and go do some portrait work. Not in a studio though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:43 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Likewise Daws, forgot to comment. Great little portrait snap. Nice natural lighting, works well!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:08 pm
*sigh

Right very quickly a note about forumisms:

MWF wrote:
I'm keen to see a head shot from around 12ft away at about f5 to see how much of the torso is in shot and what the bokeh and sharpness is like. Have you got an example like this or have you been using it exclusively for macro stuff?

combatsquirrel wrote:

And as promised some of the studio shots, not the greatest of the selection but the 1st ones I could find done with the 150mm lens, the 1st 2 are from said lens, the last shot is from the 50mm prime, nifty 50.

Thats why I posted them, and correct there not so great, but I feel the original request had been forgotten and everyone started to critique the photos instantly, while feedback is good, I more often than not I get this impression to much on this forum:

Dawson wrote:
I'm trying not to sound like I am jumping on the bandwagon here Ben

Perhaps its just me being an over sensitive fella, but im sure you get the point.

Again the points of why there bad is welcome, simply saying there bad is ok as well, if you feel you don't want to give feedback, saying there bad and introducing many versions of ':cry: ' and/or commenting on the models physical appearance in the photo (through no fault of her own), I dunno.....noted the point that she not like that in real life.... but still just not needed but then im a chilled kinda guy.

For example

MWF wrote:

I mean FFS you go on about being professional and show these, I still can't believe it.

Exactly where did I say this ? I said id been using some studio setup stuff and had been trying stuff with new lenses, even with a huge dollop of enthusiasm that still couldnt of been translated to 'im a pro' - wheres all this coming from ?

Anyways felt that needed to be said.

[I]Strictly[/I] sticking to photographic feedback, I appreciate the examples of various styles of photography here, all done differently, and can see why another POV causes a different stance. Noted for next time im going to change the light setup totally, my leaf shots had the lights in diff places , ill return to that, on white back grounds move the model forward, DOF with a 85mm lens or so and use that as a starting point, ill take some other togs work pictures with me to give me goals to aim for in acheiving respectable lighting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:01 pm
You're praised when your photos are good, critisised when they are bad, just wipe your tears away and live with it.

Fact is you are boasting about having a lot of very expensive equipment, if you are going to post results up on here they are going to have live up to expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:19 pm
/aside

Chris, that's what I'm talking about, those portraits are spot on! The Strobist knowledge has filtered through there, I'd have been totally lost in that situation but you got the back lighting for the halo effect and everything! I like the colours too, quite neutral, like the old Fuji portrait films used to be... cool :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:56 pm
MWF wrote:
You're praised when your photos are good, critisised when they are bad, just wipe your tears away and live with it.

Fact is you are boasting about having a lot of very expensive equipment, if you are going to post results up on here they are going to have live up to expectations.

This much is obvious Chris, but you miss the point, there is not boasting there is excitement and interesting news sharing, please take the above points on board - there is a point here, the photo feedback isnt an emotional issue, its helpful and needed, the vicious attitude isn't needed, nor is it welcome. There's no tear wiping......there's an honest feedback on attitudes here, and im not the only one that thinks this, so I know its 'not just me'.

I do believe there is a 'stuck mindset' effect going on, on this forum, I say something, it immediately gets taken to 'we must deal with ben', as said the points about the photos are taken on board - the attitude towards me is not required, its bias, out of date and u need to reassess. I understand you [I]think[/I] this so I must be patient with such strong responses, there to the point, with a heavy helping of 'attitude', most people would be alienated by such responses to be honest.

Id welcome everyone to come to Tean at xmas, just to catch up with everyone, and see how your all doing, but unfortunately this wont happen due to time and 'stigma' issues. Thats fine you don't like some people, but really, what have they done to reward such set in stone opinion ? I've never got on with everyone all the time, but id still give every single person within the general 'known people' the time of day. Being a good judge of character you can understand this, respectfully however, facilitate the fact people change, and doing so, don't be so quick to jump on a familiar bandwagon of how you think you should deal with someone.

So again thank you for the photography feedback, and im going to continue to post on here, good or bad photos or whatever, but please gradually drop the apparent attitude because it honestly shines through on an awful lot of posts.

Just my 2 penneth