<  General Chatting  ~  iPhone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:06 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Ben, sometimes you utterly miss the point in a blaze of glorious irony.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
We're just too "out there" Jimi... What crazy fool sends an MMS after all?! :cry:

*looks at his 3 figure MMS counter on his phone*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Since I don't use this MMS thing I say it's ghey and for jews.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:51 pm
Indeed, who would dare to use a phone in a way other than Ben's Way? Surely everyone values only the things Ben values? Surely what Ben finds "minor niggles" can only ever be minor niggles to anyone! And my my, ham-fisted "workarounds" are [I]every bit[/I] as good as if the phone did what you wanted and expected from a modern phone in the first place! And paying £7.50 extra is [I]every bit as good[/I] as paying £7.50 less for the same thing on any other phone!

Yay also for resting on socks, the [I]modern[/I] way to shut your fucking phone up. Of course vibrate doesn't wake Ben, and so it can't possibly wake anyone! And if Ben doesn't use MMS, well why would any other iPhone user on Earth want that feature and find it fucking annoying that it doesn't do it?

All hail Ben, who's personal opinion is Gospel for everyone! Hail Lord Ben, for he is Right and His Righteousness defines what we should want, do, and use! Have no opinion other than Ben's! Your thoughts are Worthless, your thoughts are Wrong, they are to be squashed and ridiculed for not being the same as Ben's! Think no thought's other than Ben's!

Sorry, did I go overboard trying to make a fucking obvious point there? Yes? No? Yes?

Jesus I'm bitchy today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:00 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Again again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:50 am
For the benefit of ben, here is how you could have handled this thread:

Interesting feedback about the iPhone. I've not found those issues to be much of a problem though. I like x why z about the phone. I don't like a b c.

You know, instead of "what, u knob, I don't care about that stuff, you are so wrong lazy ass moaning bitch. Just man up and ignor the bits you don't like. So lame."

Last edited by Matt Wilcox on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:12 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
One thing I would like a definitive answer to... perhaps others would too...

If I have an iPhone and I set the mail app to check my methinksperchance.net email, will it go off in my pocket as soon as I get a new email (Like a text would) or do I have to open the Mail app now and again? Or is it an inbetween and you have to leave the Mail app open and lock the phone or something?
I'd heard you had to physically check, which would be a bummer, but wanted to check!
(Can you also set the Mail app up for multiple addresses?)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:47 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Dawson wrote:
(Can you also set the Mail app up for multiple addresses?)

Yes you can (assuming it is the same as the Touch which I think it is). I currently have one Exchange account and two IMAP accounts on there. They are treated as separate accounts (each has its own inbox etc.) but when you check for mail it checks all of them and the icon number on the home screen reflects the total unread messages across all accounts.

I'd like to know about notifications and checking mail too. Obviously not having an external speaker means I don't currently get alerts but if one comes through when I'm listening to mukin it does through the headphones. Mine is a bit hit and miss with checking e-mail so I'd like to know if it's any different on the iPhone, sometimes e-mails come through without checking, other times I have to manually check. Thinking about it, I think it might be that it checks when I'm already using the Touch (e.g. Listening to mukin, on tinternet) but not when it's on standby (it's hardly ever turned off). When it's in standby it doesn't seem to be connected to wireless (I presume to save battery powah) so maybe that's why. I guess with the iPhone using 3G rather than wifi maybe it does check all the time. I believe apps can't work in the background (I know app store ones can't) but surely it would be logical for the mail app to do so.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:20 am
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
oh ffs snap out of it, my point was you don't half moan about [I]everything[/I] all I get off you is:

'but why'
'I don't like it'
'damn it'
'anger'
'they it/he/she should of done it like this',

*bail of hay rolls past in the wind, while waiting for something to be done on whatever the issue is*

and usually in that order, all im worried about is, some minor points seemingly hugely tar your 'iphone experience' while you say you like the device, a good 75% of writing is on the negative points of the device. (awaits predictable comment about if its 75% bad, they should of made it better) :cry:

So as per usual feel free to jump on the 'bens opinions a joke, and he thinks its gospel' band wagon, but im yet to see any valid replies to the subject in question......again we've gone off the tangent of what the subject matter is, shall we go down the

*subject matter
* ben replies to subject matter, points out a few things you could do to help or fix (the usual long list) of said problems with subject matter
*ZOMG wtf whoz u thinkz u r , oh god oh god you've missed the point bashing etc etc

Get off your so called intellectual high horse and do something about whatever todays 'problem' is, instead of sitting back and breaking down its issues into said long list of issues and the leaving the list there to rot in the interwebz forums. A rant on a forum or a twitter of rage will never solve anything, its just daft imo, for example everytime you get a MMS you will have a strop that it takes 3 clicks to see it instead of 2, why get so bothered about this things, bigger things to worry about in the world.

Overall its a pretty good device, hence why I guess its so popular.

/rant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am
And again you're firing off your Irony Laser at full setting without noticing. You outline what [I]I[/I] ought to do which is exactly what I've done and what I've said [I]you[/I] ought to do, but you really can't see that can you?

combatsquirrel wrote:
Get off your so called intellectual high horse and do something about whatever todays 'problem' is, instead of sitting back and breaking down its issues into said long list of issues and the leaving the list there to rot in the interwebz forums. A rant on a forum or a twitter of rage will never solve anything, its just daft imo, for example everytime you get a MMS you will have a strop that it takes 3 clicks to see it instead of 2, why get so bothered about this things, bigger things to worry about in the world.

Don't rant about me and my personality in a thread about something else. We could bitch all day about each other's flaws, we both have plenty of them, we both know what they are. It's irrelevant. Get over it yourself and learn how to give feedback without pissing other people off. It's a good life skill. There are bigger things to worry about indeed, so why are you making an issue out of [I]my personal thoughts[/I]? If I don't like shit it's my problem, and if the workarounds aren't good enough for me thats [I]my problem[/I]. Do I sit all day worrying about the flaws in my phone? Of course not.

"Minor points" are indeed minor - that's why I can list things that I don't like about the phone alongside things I do [I]and still heartily recommend it[/I] at the end of a long list of problems. It's YOU that takes this shit way too seriously. If you don't like what I write feel free to un-follow my twitter and stop reading my posts. It seems to stress you out about as much as you think I stress out. It's theatrics dude, I don't tend to get genuinely pissed off about anything.

Last edited by Matt Wilcox on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 am
With regard to the iPhone and Email - I can't help I'm afraid, I don't use Email outside of work really, and so haven't taken the time to set it up on the phone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10 am
Indeed we all have our flaws and Ben does make some valid points about yours Jimi, as you could do to me and so on. However I think we know each others flaws enough to make some calculated judgement when hearing opinions, without need to criticise them openly.

What's funny about you guys (Jimi, Ben) discussing the same topic is you are like a devil and angel on someone's shoulders, you contrast so much in attitudes to things. I wouldn't go as far as to say ones an optimist and the other a pessimist but it's something a little like that.

What this debate is proving though is one persons experience of something can be totally different to another's just down to a personal issue, ignorance of features, usage, affluence, image etc...

It's a glowing representation of why reviews and opinions always have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Your opinions on the iPhone are greatly appreciated though, I hope we get to hear more of them regardless in how they may differ.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:53 am
Ben, as always, does make good points, about the phone and my character. He's a solution-finder, and as long as he's got something that works he's happy. What Ben missed, which actually did annoy me, was that Daws and myself had already pointed out some of those solutions (bolt-on, MMS application) and then set about attacking our personal judgement on whether we like those solutions or not. It's not [I]just[/I] about whether the phone does or doesn't do something, but [I]how well[/I] it does it. When the user experience of a phone is as high as the iPhones, you really notice when it hits some flaws. I don't need to be convinced to feel a certain way about my phone. Personally, when I'm paying over £700 for a device over the course of a contract, I don't want little niggles and 'on a sock' solutions.

I agree on the attitude polarity too, lol! Ben's practical and easy going. I'm practical enough that none of it bothers me day-to-day, but I naturally noticing issues, problems, etc - especially in workflow/ui - that after all is a large part of my job. So yeah, I notice and I talk about those issues when asked. And I want them fixed properly. But I also don't let it bother me on a personal level like Ben seems to think it does - I don't wake up and spear a voodoo doll of Steve Jobs while chanting "Give us MMS you fucker! Give us Copy-paste!", I rarely think about those issues [I]untill I'd like to use them[/I]. Doesn't change the fact the issues are there though, and if someone asks I'll tell them. Swearilly.

It boils down to this: I was asked [I]how am I finding the iPhone[/I]?. So I talked about what [I]I like[/I] and what [I]I don't[/I]. The topic was how we feel about our phones. Ben understood it as being an argument about the featureset of the phone - which is different entirely. You can argue about the musical talent of a band - but you can not argue about whether someone else should like that band. You can argue about the technical ability of a phone, but you can't argue that someone should like it. And frankly, I resent being told how I should feel about anything. That's one of the few things in life that genuinely winds me up.

Last edited by Matt Wilcox on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm
The big question here is why Apple aren't already selling a highly overpriced but beautifully styled iSock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm
Matt Wilcox wrote:
You can argue about the musical talent of a band - but you can not argue about whether someone else should like that band. You can argue about the technical ability of a phone, but you can't argue that someone should like it. And frankly, I resent being told how I should feel about anything. That's one of the few things in life that genuinely winds me up.

Indeed hence why a certain pretentious ex-member had to be banned.