<  General Chatting  ~  iPhone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:56 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
None of those things put me off either. They annoy me, but not enough to offset the good points of having one.

I've heard nothing about a V3 iPhone, but as with all things Apple you can expect one roughly yearly, and you can expect that you'll not know for sure until after they officially announce it. They're good at keeping schtum.

I'm hoping that a V3 OS will run on this hardware anyway, as the 2 runs on 1st gen hardware. I'm also hoping that a V3 phone will have an improved camera - it's the one and only bit of the phone that's hardware limited. A faster processor and ram would be good, but in no way essential.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 307Location: Stoke-on-TrentJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:
The iPhone UI though - very very good. Vastly superior to any other phone I've used.

This is a good point also, I've friends with other brands of touch screen phones and not one of them has come close to the iPhone UI.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:05 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
The only other touch screen type phone I would consider is the one that uses the Google interface?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:11 pm
I suppose it's worth considering, but from what I've seen it's not even close.

On the other hand, I have high hopes that V2/3 of the Android project will actually be comparable.

Here's one to blag your head - the Palm Pre has a UI that an iPhone user said made the iPhone feel old-hat and clumsy.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/the-palm-pre/

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=p ... &ct=title#

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Yeah Joey has got her IPod working with Exchange although hers takes ages to sync.

It's Outlook at home that takes ages to sync, my iPod syncs more quickly than my work PC with our Exchange server. Exchange syncing is fantastic on the iPod, I really feel for anyone not using Exchange because it really does change the way you work (I use mine for both mail and calendar and they are excellent, particularly the calendar - the mail doesn't always seem to automatically update which is a bit of a shame as I'd like it running in the background most of the time rather than opening the Mail app to check).

Jimi I believe you can sign up to third party services that will allow you to use Exchange with a PC rather than a Mac if you want to sync your calendar, might be worth a look.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:26 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I'm really not interested in the me-too products at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:52 pm
MWF wrote:
I'm really not interested in the me-too products at all.

Yeah, but they're only "me too" for as long as that sort of technology is unique to Apple. It'll all be bog-standard in another few years. I see no point in poopooing any product or software simply because it came out after a market leader and is using similar techniques.

Win 7's copies and builds on Apples Dock. Apple's spotlight copies and builds on Linux's built-in search. Apple's multi-workspace copies Linux's. Apple's iPhone copies Microsoft's Surface. blah blah blah. I'm not bothered who came up with what first - whoever does it best wins. The Pre looks very promising.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm
On the contrary my view is to stick with the market leader, it's clear that the iPhone is going to remain king of this market for some time, not because of it's technology but because it's got the user base.

If I delay getting a phone like this for another six months and by then the Pre is getting massive sales then I'll certainly consider it. But for now it's no more than a geeky distraction that's totally unproven, I'm also not interested in trying to be cool and buy a Betamax phone like Dawson is pining over.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:05 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Betamax phone like Dawson is pining over.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:43 pm
It depends on your viewpoint. If I were buying now then no question I'd get an iPhone. What I mean though is that I've got no expectation for iPhone to remain the best solution for any particular period of time. It has a big user base, but there's nothing to stop Palm, or Google, from getting one just as big in a similar time frame as Apple.

What I'm saying is that market leader is fine for today, but means precisely nothing for tomorrow. Apple were total newbies in the phone market and yet within a year everyone's playing catch up with their technology if not with their sales figures. But, the same story could happen with Android or Palm. You don't need a revolutionary product to capture market share, you just need a better and more appealing product than the competition. It's not the fact that iPhone is radical and unique that gets it sales. It's that it's a good solution. Better one's will appear.

I hope Pre and Android are better, because it'll force price reductions and the implementation of features people are crying out for, but that Apple don't implement because they don't need to. Whether Pre/Android/Whatever is revolutionary or evolutionary, I really don't care, and neither will anyone else (other than fan-boys).

Unlike Beetamax, phones aren't an either-or bit of hardware. They consume the tinternet, the fight now is over providing a better UI than the other guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:47 pm
I don't agree but for the sake of keeping to the original subject (and my sanity) I'll refrain from going any further with that discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
I'd hardly say pining :cry: Just an example of the "competition"... I still think the Apple UI that drives me insane on K's iMac/MacBook would be really good on a phone (and probably better than the X1) and there are still a lot of pluses to the iPhone... but it's good to hear as many user pro/cons as possible...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Sorry im just reading this and seeing huge holes in peoples arguments for the negative, not half being overly picky and some of it is just BS if you having issues, read my responses below, they will give you answers to your 'problems'

Matt Wilcox wrote:

Also, as Daws points out - the iPhone contract is rubbish. £35/m for a measly 500 SMS is bad, and there's no way to up that, or exchange minutes for SMS (I never use more than 20min call time a month, so it angers me). That's an O2 complaint rather than an iPhone one though, and it's bound to happen when one carrier gets a monopoly on a device.

Umm you can use bolt ons with the iphone contract, giving you unlimited use of either text, sms, (or data for non iphone users), however bolt ons are £7.50 a month

Matt Wilcox wrote:

On the negative:

As a phone it's pretty wank. You can't send or receive Vcards - so despite it being the phone of the future you still have to resort to a fucking pen and paper if you want to swap contacts with someone. It doesn't support MMS, which as a phone of the future is pathetic. The ass backward workaround of opening Safari, going to the O2 website, logging in using your phone number (I can never remember) and MMS PIN (I can never remember) is shoddy in the extreme, and you can't even reply to the message. Nor does it tell you who it's from until you log-in. Applications crash, and when they crash they don't free-up system memory, so after a while applications become less stable.

A re-boot fixes it, but it's still a bit rubbish.

No copy and paste. Which is criminal considering the type of use a phone like this gets - it's not possible to SMS someone a hyperlink or snippet of text you've seen on the phone in Safari.

The camera is absolutely useless unless you happen to live in Spain and it's the middle of Siesta time. It has no low-light capability whatsoever. It's also laggy as hell so don't think you're going to capture a nice moment, you'll capture the immediate aftermath of whatever it was you wanted to capture.

There's no character count on the SMS screen, so you'll regularly fire off multi-SMS messages which eat into the wank 500 SMSs allowance.

Ummmm are we using the same phone ? Mine receives V-Cards as sms text data and highlights the number in blue, like a hyper link, I press that and it says 'save number '55555555 to contacts?' which then opens up the add contact dialouge with the number already in, then you just have to type the name of the person in.

That or usually when people text me then just well...text me someones number and I can either save to contacts or ring it.

MMS fixed by that app that does MMS that you showed me no less.

Particularly odd:

Quote:
The bastard thing alerts you THREE TIMES per SMS you get - which is the most annoying thing, it'll beep once, then again a few minutes later, and again a few minutes after that. There's no "silent means fucking silent" mode. It's either going to beep at you or it's going to vibrate at you. If your phone happens to be resting on your bedside cabinet at 2am and some drunk friend sends an SMS, it's going to wake you up. And then again five minutes later. And again five minutes after that. Unless you turn it off entirely.

The 'silent' switch top left jimy, actually means 'silent', my phones on the floor next to my bed and never once has it woken me up despite usually having 4/5 txts and 9 emails in the morning. Id suggest putting a sock or something on your bedside table and placing the phone face down on it.......hey the vibrating may even clean the screen for u ? ;).......anyways I lie it face down, no light, no noise, problem ?

Also quite like its actually silent, yet still makes noise when the alarm goes off, heavenly feature that most phones don't have.

Another unfounded rant :

Quote:
I don't have a Mac so I don't have iCal, so I can't sync the calendar. There's no windows application that'll allow you to sync or create/edit calendar events. Making the calendar pretty useless. I want iCal on my phone, which you can have IF you have a Mac, but the phone on it's own doesn't do the job well enough.

Outlook is answer to that as well as about 5 other email apps I've seen in the menu when you setup your phone with itunes.....did you miss that ? outlooks actually a pretty ace email and 'life organization' program.

The only thing I do 100% agree on is the camera is shit, and the SMS thing I've never really clocked as im on unlimited SMS bolt on.

I've said it once and ill say it again, ANYONE looking at the iphone should get a 3g OR 2g (for cheap) sim free off ebay or whatever, get whatever the cheapest o2 contract is (if starting from scratch get the £15 month simplicity), then add the 7.50 a month bolt on - on£22.50 a month for (I think) 400 msgs, 400 mins, unlim data, or for less than £30 get unlimited everything, or whatever otheer deals other networks offer, and jailbreak, all the functionallity and lower costs and/or not tied to contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:25 pm
*sigh*

combatsquirrel wrote:
Umm you can use bolt ons with the iphone contract, giving you unlimited use of either text, sms, (or data for non iphone users), however bolt ons are £7.50 a month

Yes, both Daws and I have said that. Paying £42.50 to get what other contracts offer for £35 means that the iPhone contract sucks, doesn't it?

combatsquirrel wrote:
MMS fixed by that app that does MMS that you showed me no less.

That's not much of a fix. You still can't send them without paying extra, and it's not integrated into the phone solution, it's a stand-alone application.

combatsquirrel wrote:
The 'silent' switch top left jimy, actually means 'silent', my phones on the floor next to my bed and never once has it woken me up despite usually having 4/5 txts and 9 emails in the morning. Id suggest putting a sock or something on your bedside table and placing the phone face down on it.......hey the vibrating may even clean the screen for u ? ;).......anyways I lie it face down, no light, no noise, problem ?

It turns the speaker off and leaves the vibrate on. In my world that's not "silent". On my ye olden Nokia you could set up your own preferences and have everything turned off. With the wonder-phone you can't. "Putting it on a sock" is a solution, but the point is the phone doesn't do what I want and can't even offer customisation on the level of a phone from six years ago. With Apple you always get the sense that the device is Apple's, not yours.

combatsquirrel wrote:
Also quite like its actually silent, yet still makes noise when the alarm goes off, heavenly feature that most phones don't have.

Dunno, my Nokia did that, I expect it as standard.

combatsquirrel wrote:
Outlook is answer to that as well as about 5 other email apps I've seen in the menu when you setup your phone with itunes.....did you miss that ? outlooks actually a pretty ace email and 'life organization' program.

iCal is a free application, Outlook is not. I don't think running a program costing £99.99 is much of a solution.

Quote:
Sorry im just reading this and seeing huge holes in peoples arguments for the negative, not half being overly picky and some of it is just BS if you having issues, read my responses below, they will give you answers to your 'problems'

This is a thread asking for opinions of user experience, yours may differ from mine. As for "huge holes", "overly picky", "just BS" and "'problems'", put your attitude in a pipe and toke on it for a bit, cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:23 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Theres an aweful lot of what if's and opinion from you young jimy in a lot of stuff, but very little action, put the phone on the sock, its not the biggest effort in the world, so don't sit around moping that apple didnt give you 3 options, which they do, go into options and turn off vibrate in silent mode. Put it on the bloody sock n get on with life ! lol

MMS is so effing laast century get ovvver itzzz ! lol, the ONLY person I've ever received a mms text off in the last year is a young lady from the wirrel, maybeeee thats why you want mms ? :wink: , even then if I wanna send a pic to someone, just email it them, there likely get it quicker, and its free, or post it on flickr or somewhere else on the web, somet the iphones great at and other phones don't offer.

As for outlook, since when in flying fuck did anyone here ever pay £99 for outlook, umm never, get it, be done with it, its actually good.

yeah fine its my opinion, but at alot of the stuff seemingly is really grasping at straws issues, and then are seemingly escalated to OTT importance, as said, less of the what if's and more of the enjoying it. The what if's are very very minor.