<  General Chatting  ~  iPhone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
It's a good job he's not here right now with such a hefty iPhone debate going on :cry:

Me and Jo will wait on the e-mail question... :mrgreen:

As an aside, despite the volume of Apple in her possession, it would seem Katie is the kind of Apple fan you can live with... As she fiddled around on her Mac the other day I told her that Steve Jobs wasn't very well. Her answer? "Who?". When I explained who he was and how much he was held in reverence she just said "I don't care who makes them, if they're good they're good!". God bless her :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:29 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
She's coy you can give her that Daws but you know secretly she's wearing a wig and has an Apple logo TATOO ON HER SKULL!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 am
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
TATOO ON HER SKULL!!!

on the [I]inside[/I]. THAT hardcore.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm
Oh, to re-iterate the hatred I have for O2...

It doesn't tell you how many txts you have used from your allowance. It doesn't tell you when you go over your allowance.

So I've sent 649 sms's last month, which is 149 over the limit, and so spent an extra £15.20 I had no idea I was spending.

I used 1hr 31min of my voice calls, for which I'm allowed 60hrs. And 1hr 21min of that was on one call to Ben.

I hate the tarrif, I really really hate the tarrif.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
I'm just looking at the business tariffs, looks like that might be best for us if we do decide to get iPhones. £50/month between us that way for unlimited calls to each other, free calls to O2 mobiles, unlimited texts and 300 shared minutes.

Jimi I'm sure there's a way to check your text allowance from your phone, my brother and sister use it all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 pm
If there is then it's undocumented. You can fire up safari an log into the convoluted shit that is the O2 website and find out how many texts you have used, but it apparently isn't a live count. And it's a pain in the ass to do.

I'd pay a tenner just to get the damn phone to do the obvious and have a character count on txts and a number of remainng inclusive texts on the text authoring page. It's piss simple neat ui. It's never going tohappen as O2 feel it's more profitable to sneak in charges without telling you than to be nice and reap rewards of happy customers recommending friends to join. Short sighted and idiotic business logic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:26 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
You sent nearly 650 text messages last month? srsly?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am
Seriously.

I don't call anyone, I am a child of the text era. (I may have sent 400+ to one person)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47 am
While I agree it's wrong O2 don't give you some easy way to measure your text allowance you need to consider cutting down there, I know you don't have to, that's how you use it etc but it's got to be worth cutting back or finding other means to communicate to avoid that £15 surcharge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 am
Oh I know, and I'm cutting down as of yesterday. I've no qualms about them charging for the extra texts either - I used the allowance I'd agreed to with my package, and went over, that's fair enough. (though I think the package is a bad deal, I accepted it to get my mitts on an iPhone)

But I think it's really bad play to not be up-front about charges you are incurring without knowing. How hard would it be for them to send a text when I'm within 50 sms's of my limit? My broadband provider does it when I'm within a few gig of the limit. But instead of being hepful and keeping me happy, O2 would rather let me spend an extra £15 on top of the £35/m without telling me.

It's just bad play by O2, and I don't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:36 am
MWF wrote:
You sent nearly 650 text messages last month? srsly?

I've sent just over a thousand a month a couple of times recently... I seem to balance out at about 750 overall :cry:

Hence why, like Jimi, I am a bit peeved about a measley 500 text limit! That said, if Katie bought an iPhone and the e-mail was decent - what is the deal with receiving e-mails, I don't think it's been explained yet :) - then I would probably end up e-mailing her more. But then with an SMS UI as nice as the iPhones... damn it!

And guess what Jimi; despite it being soooo last century, we're not alone! Check out No. 2:

http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/
(I think you originally posted this link actually!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am
Dawson wrote:
I've sent just over a thousand a month a couple of times recently... I seem to balance out at about 750 overall :cry:

Does that not strike you as a bit mental at all? I mean WTF are you sending?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:47 am
LOL!

Problem is I have the inability to send single text messages now... I punctuate properly and even put spaces after my full stops (mainly because SE phones capitalise for you if you do that) and pretty much every text I send runs into 2. So in reality I only pick my phone up to text 500 times a month... but then I text a double text every time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:50 am
But... why?

You'll end up as some sort of mutant freak show who can only type using his thumbs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:05 pm
I'm exactly the same Daws. And that's also why not having a character count is annoying as hell. It's like not having a petrol gauge on your car.

As for the number of txts sent - it depends on who you are and how you communicate. To me, text is by far the most convenient way of communicating with anyone. If the person is available they'll reply instantly, if not they'll reply as soon as they can and you've not interrupted anything they might be doing. It's simply more polite. Not to mention there's a record of everything you've said, so you can go back and check what time you arranged to meet next weekend, or whatever. For idle chit-chat, and non-time-critical talking, it's far and away the best method for me.

Picking up a phone and having a chat is pretty alien as a concept to me, and doesn't offer the same things.

text's are a lot like MSN or Twitter, but with the advantage that you can communicate with anyone you know, wherever they are.