<  General Chatting  ~  iPhone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:55 am
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
So yesterday I sold my soul to the devil and got an iPhone. I'm loving it so far, though there are inevitably a few frustrating parts. One in particular at the moment is the calendar. Not having a Mac I can't use iCal - and I don't own or use Outlook. Which seemingly means I have no options for syncing. Does anyone know of a Windows application that the iPhone will sync to? I was really expecting it to sync with Google Calendar, but apparently not.

Also, any good apps that you use, please share! So far I've got:

• Shzam (tells you what track it is bothering you over the loudspeakers at the pub, shockingly accurate results)
  • Twitterific (iPhone twitter client. I can not believe how useful twitter is, seriously. I owe it my job, among other things.)
  • Evernote - mind bendingly useful, but hard to explain - watch the video
  • last.fm - stream the normal last.fm radio right to your iPhone - your personal station, recommendations, and everything. I am going to be seriously abusing this application
  • Stanza - an eReader with it's own library. Comes with HG Wells "The Time Machine"
  • Tides - finds your GPS location and gives you the times of the tides. Not useful for most of you, but I've wanted to know that a few times over the last couple of months when going out
  • Remote - use the iPhone as a remote control for iTunes on your PC/Mac. It's a shame it doesn't work the other way around too though as I'd have loved to use the iPhone as a Slingbox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 am
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Im 99.99% certain it does sync with google calenders as my mate mat was on about he did it, have you setup your email account on the phone with it ? For push email, supports all yahoo,google, msn mail etc

Also NICELY DONE SIR ! :mrgreen: whoohooo jimys got a new phone! lol

I only ever use outlook or iCal now, so never had the above problems, also consider a mobile me account, may be useful for yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:53 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
I'm pretty sure that in order to sync with Google Calendar you have to sync with Outlook or iCal first.

Luckily I have Exchange and it's absolutely fantastic for syncing my calendar.

Before Exchange support I used Google Calendar Sync with my Outlook at home, and then synchronised that with iTunes (more details here).

As for applications, my favourite ones at the moment are to-do applications ToodleDo and ToDo (currently trying both out as ToDo was excellent but ToodleDo recently released their own and functionality is much better but there are a few bugs).

I also like the Wordpress app, although that too occasionally has bugs. It's great for starting a blog post whilst commuting or away from tinternet though, then I just upload it when I'm next at a wifi zone.

I also love some of the games and actually use it more than my Nintendo DS for gaming now - I particularly like the free Sudoku game, Sol Free (Solitaire and other card games), TouchMines (Minesweeper), Cubicman Lite (like Bloxorz on tinternet) and Enigmo (recently reduced in price so I bought it whilst it was on offer).

Air Sharing is also cool, you can send files to your iPod as a wireless drive.

The newer version of the Facebook app is good too, the earlier one wasn't very good at all but the newer one is much better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:57 am
I refuse to pay Apple any more money for a MobileMe account. I really did mean it when I said I'd sold my soul to the Devil. Apple are about the most evil money grabbing company I can think of. Hate them with a passion. But, their toys are a lot better than everyone else's toys.

Not sure what's going on with the mail app on iPhone - I set it up and it worked fine, but I need to have the mails that it pulls down also pulled down on my laptop (rather than some mail living on the iPhone and other mail on the laptop - need BOTH) - and while it did that for two of them, one seems to have been stolen by the iPhone and not making it to my laptop's inbox. That is NOT something I want going on so I've disabled it for now while I investigate.

Also, O2 suck! I got a mail telling me I had a bill for £24 this month, prior to my first bill. Right - so the £264 yesterday didn't cover what you need in the first day of having the phone then? Gits. So I went to log in to the o2 account to check it, but now my old number has transfered to the new phone I can't log in. And the reminder gets a text to the temporary number - which I don't recieve, so I can't recover my account password. Gits. Oh, and there was £10 of credit on my PAYG phone, and now the SIM no longer works o2 have effectivly just taken that money. Gits.

I'm going to pay them a visit one evening and get it sorted.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:05 pm
1) It does leave the mail on both your email account and the phone, it does on mine, is it a google account you use ? it should be the same as me with a yahoo mail account, at least in how it works.

2) You will OF COURSE be getting billed for the 1st 3 months, she said that in the store, you need to 'prove' your credit rating before they will give you your £100 back

3) And whats this problem with logging in you have ? it will take a couple of working days to sort it out on there servers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:57 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Since going to Exchange I've had a bit of a problem with my e-mail - it only keeps a few days worth on the iPod for some reason. :?

My Mum is having problems with O2 as well, she was given an iPhone contract for £20/month (she got the iPhone from Ebay) and told she'd get unlimited free wifi and EDGE but her recent bill has cost her something like £40 for tinternet charges.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:15 pm
combatsquirrel wrote:
1) It does leave the mail on both your email account and the phone, it does on mine, is it a google account you use ? it should be the same as me with a yahoo mail account, at least in how it works.

All my mail goes thorugh Gmail. A copy is left on the server, and a copy is pulled down to Thunderbird on my laptop. What I want is to be able to use both the iPhone and Thunderbird, and for both of them to sync up and have the same mails in the inbox and sent box. That doesn't seem to happen?

Quote:
2) You will OF COURSE be getting billed for the 1st 3 months, she said that in the store, you need to 'prove' your credit rating before they will give you your £100 back

Yeah, I'm not on about that. They also sent me this:

Quote:
We know that a bill is usually the last thing to bring a smile to your face, but we're hoping you'll at least find this one clear and easy to understand. We also hope you'll see why it might seem a little higher than expected. Don't worry; it's just that we've charged you for a few days before your new bill date and your next month's line rental in advance - together with any other usage outside your inclusive allowance for this month.

So, what? You've charged me for "days in advance" for things "outside inclusive allowance"? Start the fucking account from the day I bought it then you muppets!
Quote:
your bill for this month comes to £26.32
Right, so are you telling me that the second half of this month is "before my contract starts"? No - it's not clear. Thanks o2.

Quote:
3) And whats this problem with logging in you have ? it will take a couple of working days to sort it out on there servers.

I'll try again in a day or two, but it's not very good. If I remembered my password I'd be able to get in - but the password reminder sends a SMS to the temporary phone number that I don't have access to - so I can't reset the password I no longer remember.

Feeling a bit poo today, and not sure if it's my usual "post big spend guilt trip" or just that I need to gorge on sugar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:18 pm
Oh they always bill your bill a month in advance by default, on all the contracts I've had, just what they do dude, sorry forgot mention it, its just the way mobile phone contracts work. With you already paying a deposit on ur contract guess it does seem much, but they always work it out properly, your following billing period will be alot less balancing it out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:18 pm
Matt Wilcox wrote:
All my mail goes thorugh Gmail. A copy is left on the server, and a copy is pulled down to Thunderbird on my laptop. What I want is to be able to use both the iPhone and Thunderbird, and for both of them to sync up and have the same mails in the inbox and sent box. That doesn't seem to happen?

It should do, my Gmail account is fine and I use it on both my iPhone and online through the Gmail website. Wonder if it's something to do with the way ThunderBird treats things?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Joey wrote:
Matt Wilcox wrote:

It should do, my Gmail account is fine and I use it on both my iPhone and online through the Gmail website. Wonder if it's something to do with the way ThunderBird treats things?

Yeah, it'll still be there accessed through the web interface (that's the very reason I have my main mail forward to gmail servers) - but I want it to be on all three. I think that once either the iPhone or Thunderbird pull it down, it get's archived in Gmail and so when the other bit of hardware checks Gmail there's nothing for it to pull down as it's already been marked as "pulled down" - but by the other bit of software.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:25 pm
That's a bit crap, very crap indeed. How come you don't just use the webmail?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:25 pm
OK, cheers Ben. I'll keep my eye on the bills - well, once I can log in to see the damned things.

Hmm, now that I've begun the great iPhone Contract experiment, I have a feeling that I'm not a contract comfortable kind of person.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:27 pm
Joey wrote:
That's a bit crap, very crap indeed. How come you don't just use the webmail?

Well I like to have Thunderbird on my laptop because I've then got my full Email archive offline, which is useful. And I'd rather use the mail app on the iPhone because it's a bit quicker and better integrated than having to fire up Safari and use the Gmail mobile interface. Mail on iPhone makes sounds and stuff when you get one, for example.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:29 pm
lol ahhh jimy, it gets easier when ur credit rating gets better - and dude your dwelling to much on formalities, you've only had the phone 1 day, 02 also needs chance to setup your contract, at least you know its being processed by someone and there setting up your stuff properly, just forget about it and use your phone now, yeah 2 days of letting them sort stuff out, and then thats it, done, no more phoning up or going online or going to the shop to get credit, always being able to phone someone whenever where ever, no annoyance when you have ran out of credit etc

And get used to contracts, there a part of life, you gotta catch the wave and ride it, get used to it, at least a mobile phone contract is the least important contract you'll have.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:31 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Jimi if you are using Pop3 to access your mail you might want to look at using IMAP. Not everyone likes IMAP but I love it.