<  General Chatting  ~  wtfbbqz!!1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:37 am
User avatarL33t n3rdPosts: 765Location: O-townJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
how about a maths teacher with doctor's writing and ADHD? :drink:

Although we do also have Geoff Goddard who was the Chief engineer when cosworth were cranking out the YB. He knows a few things... :bow:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:41 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
OOOF! YB FTUWINZORZ!!!! :bow: :banana:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:25 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Geoff Goddard

WOWZORZ!!

Just checked my book on the history of Cosworth and he's mentioned on about 1 million pages.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:16 pm
We had an after school special with him last year which was packed out. Some of the more memorable stuff he said:

Intake air velocity reaches Mach 1 in Formula 1 engines (can haz sonic boom over cylander 1 plz?)

F1 engine valvetrain (cams, valves, etc etc) can be exerted to rotational forces approaching 17g. Yes, 17 x gravity.

Engine vibrate so much that they can be modelled as having anything up to 1mm of gyration between their mating services.

And some other cool stuff too, about the YB engine and how they used to do stuff. It was pretty cool.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 pm
Blew my water pump to hell this weekend with a STRICT REDLINE ATTACK. I had just changed the coil and dizzy parts to try and fix a hesitancy above 5000 rpm, which worked, but the shaft that runs from water pump pulley to impeller blades snapped :shock:

Saw 128 degree oil temp, luckily the head didn't warp because I am leet. :drink:

Just ordered a new one from VW which was £50 all in with exchange pump, fixings and 2 bottles of coolant :bow: I r get trade discount too :wink:

Just about to rip apart the block and replace the pump blades that I fried...

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 pm
p.s watched Mad Max 1 for the first time last night

omgomgomgomgomg :shock:

where can I get a pursuit special v8 on methane, super hot! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:51 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
You've only just watched Mad Max

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What did you think of it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm
I thought it was awesome.

I'm crap on commenting on director's influence, cinematography, how it was made etc, but it did stand out as being well made. The 70s/80s flavour added a lot for me personally and I liked the cars and sounds :drool: Easily the earliest of Mel Gibson's films I've seen! He looks about twelve, has a deep voice though. My favourite character was his boss, the semi naked, scarf wearing beef man with the moustache :cry:

What did you think about it? Open my eyes... :wink:

What is Beyond Thunderdome like?

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm
His boss sure does look like someone from an 80's gay bar.

I think it is a genuinely creepy film, the guy who plays the ToeCutter is so good.

I love the start but after that the film kinda drags for me, there's a lot of back story to Mad Max which isn't shown which is a shame.

Thunderdome is funny and entertaining but a blatant franchise cash in, Mad Max is the daddy. Of course the question is will Fury Road ever get made and will it be any good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:07 am
I r confused now. There are 3 MM films? Mad Max, Mad Max 2 and THEN Beyond Thunderdome.

Anyways, how is everyone? I'm just sorting out my CV to start applying for placement years all up in this area (O-town).

Also trying to model some engine isht in Solidworks to see how well they flow and where they get hot, where the stress concentrations are etc.

In a bizzle.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 1497Location: Swindon, WiltsJoined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 am
scrote my old fruit, no doubt your tutors on your course will chuck countless companies names at you for you to apply for, but I'm gonna chuck my two-penneth in, Swindon Racing Engines. that is unless they've folded in the 2 years since I picked their mail up :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:41 pm
zomg, Swind0nZ in full effex!!11!!

legger, you crazy horse, thanks for the tip.

I had another guest lecture from Mr. Goddard the other day, he's an eccentric old mother :cry: he was talking about screw pumps this time, not so interesting but still a little bit.

he also has a BMW, M5 GDG. Wonder what model it is...

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:20 pm
Yo yo yo LAW muthas. What's going down? I've been mad busy on all kinds of ish the last few months but now I are finished for teh summer! The corrado rear beam has been swapped as has the suspension and the brakes got finished this week, here are a couple pics:

Also been doing some CAD, had a race car suspension design project to do which didn't go brilliantly but here's where I got to:

I'm just trying to analyse the suspension geometry on a standard corrado to see where the roll centre is, and potentially calculate an optimal ride height.

Word to your mother.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:23 pm
Word.

Glad someone is still working on cars since Turner has been put on tea and flowers duty.

Like the rear plate, is that font totally legal though?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:27 pm
It's the new MS Paint font, I have been pulled a couple of times for it (by women that is). :drink:

Shame to hear the yeti has turned into a scone-lover.

How are your areaZ?

Offline Profile E-mail