<  General Chatting  ~  Fishy fishy fishy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:14 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Got me a fish tank, and today me and jimy set it up, awesome :mrgreen: Any of you lot keep fish ?

I feel strange though.......I just took a p in my fish tank, seriously. As it was more or less sterilized today to get it clean from the previous owner, it will have no bacteria, so start of the nitrogen cycle requires ammonia, piss is sterile so it will do no harm, and its got lots of ammonia in it !

Veteren fish keeping tip apparently and I can see why its true !

Ammonia --> Nitrite---> Nitrate ---> WIN! :mrgreen:

So folks, get pissing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:56 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Cool - Joey would like fish, I wouldn't. Her friends got some but they died sadly, seems quite hard work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
What sort of fish are you going to keep? I've always fancied one of those Bio Orb tanks with some tropical fish. A work colleague got some though and they died within a week. We have a goldfish at work, used to be two until very recently.

Edit: Chris beat me to it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 am
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Did you just tell the world that you piss in fish tanks?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:58 am
Just going to keep a selection of good starter fish, neon tetra etc, a bottom dweller species, and one that will clean off the grime on my tank to start with :)

Your friends fish that died was possibly because he/she didnt prime the tank properly, did they just get it then wack fish in it ? That will kill them unfort, basically as explained above you need to get the bacteria level up, while keeping the tank clean, while keeping it oxygenated, a tricky balance it seems done properly! Im guessing your friends fish died of ammonia poisoning, as they didnt give the tank time to culture bacteria.

I woke up this morning to the tank being milky white, good! Clearly my P has given it the ammonia and nutrients to cause a massive bacterial bloom, now there all busy busy converting that ammonia to nitrite, then ill get another bloom in 24 hours that converts it to nitrate, winnnar, then give it time to build up o2 from the plants, and then add fishes :)

And indeed jimy I P'd in my fish tank, when you get yours, you'll have to P also ! :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
The couple Joey mentions took it very seriously with advice from the shop they were buying fish from :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 am
MWF wrote:
The couple Joey mentions took it very seriously with advice from the shop they were buying fish from :(

Blimey :shock: perhaps they were stressed then or something :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 am
I dunno, felt pretty bad for them really, must be gutting to have that happen.

I once had a fish that died the night I had it, I was worried my parents would tell me off so I just covered the tank with an old pair of pants for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:15 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Katie has one of the small Bio Orbs Joey, I think it was about £40 and is quite a cool little "goldfish bowl" really :) She used to have two "normal" godlfishy-type fish in (Ok, I don't know the names!!) but one died of old age and for a while she'd been thinking of getting the one left - his name is Dick, the other original one was called Moby - another friend. I stepped in on her birthday and gave her a homemade voucher for a new fishy friend so we went down to Pets at Home to have a look. We got 3 tiny fish in the end (they only had 3, we're going to go back for another 2 at some point) which look surprisingly good in the Orbs as they magnify them slightly anyway and look great in a little shoal!

They're all coldwater fish too which are a LOT less hassle so I'm told, so maybe you could get some of those to hyptnotise Cookies &Java with?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:19 am
Dawson wrote:
I stepped in on her birthday

First time I read that I read "I stepped on it on her birthday" - worst birthday eva

As for Cookies and Java, they get in and knock everything over, a fish tank wouldn't last 5mins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:52 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
As for Cookies and Java, they get in and knock everything over, a fish tank wouldn't last 5mins.

Unfortunately true, I don't think C&J would mix well with fish. :(

The couple I was on about had left the tank for over a week and made sure the levels were fine. They were recommended to start off with four, and then add another four the following week. That never happened as the following week they were all dead. One died and they think he may have infected the water killing the others. They now have an empty tank as it was such a hassle, shame really.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:55 am
Am sure they can clean it and start again ? :? , sometimes fish just die I guess, perhaps try some hardier species ? From the tropical tank website:

Quote:
Danios

Hardy, active shoaling fish with no special requirements.

EDIT: don't buy them from pets at home, a mate at work used to work for them, and is a fish fanatic, he says there mostly diseased, more or less will defo die on getting them home, and are just not looked after properly, apparently there approach is to buy them younger, make them look nice in store and sell as many as they can, as the fish mature and have difficulties, they often die, pets at home don't care.

Only use them for supplies, don't buy live amials apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:01 pm
My history with fish is poor. Basically no matter the type, the fuckers just die. My dad killed my first set of fish when I was about 6 by using fly spray in the room. Fly spray dissolves in water. A precedent of fishy death was set that day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:15 pm
User avatarPosts: 143Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 pm
My friend Beth is a veteran on this subject (used to be her job) - she has amazed me with her knowledge, and even saved a tank of fish while we were over in Canada recently - I had no idea how much work you have to put into having an aquarium of any sort - so many factors to take into account and regular maintenance. Sometimes though fish just die, it can be the smallest thing that can set it off, but the earlier comments pretty mch sum up the main factors:

prepping the water and climatising it - this can take over a week before any fish are added
The koala-tea of the water - the PH balance, oxygen supply, and NOT tap water as the Chlorine is a slow killer - you will notice reddening of the fishes gills if this is affecting them.
Temperature - self explanatory
Feeding - people not feeding the correct types of food to the correct types of fish, plus overfeeding causes pollution of the water - basically if your fish take any dumps, you are over-feeding them.
Mixing species - common knowledge that you have to be careful what species to mix together, but you have to get the numbers of the fish right, some less agressive fish get more agressive if you have too many, some need at least a certain amount to cope with other agressive species.

The list goes on and on, but she says that more often than not its a case of trial and error.

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:36 pm
john-dubya wrote:
basically if your fish take any dumps, you are over-feeding them.

That I did not know.

I had a friend who was into his fish back at college - sweet jesus but it is so incredibly hard to get the buggers to not die. He would research all sorts of stuff, what species get on with what others, all sorts. Basically tropical fish are about as hardy as the first bad guys on the first level of a poncuter game - you walk into the room and they look surprised before falling over dead when you so much as un-holster your gun.

This is why I am thinking I'll not bother. I know they are harder work than a dwarf hamster. Or a cat. Or a dog.