<  General Chatting  ~  Payback: Straight Up

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:54 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Yeah I know what you're thinking "He's on about bloody Payback again, I'm not interesting, I didn't even like the film" but I thought I'd keep you updated.

For those that don't know PayBack was a film made in 1997 based on a novel called The Hunter (I think) Anyway the film was the direct debut for Brian Helgeland who wrote Conspiracy Theory. After production the film was deemed too brutal and not suitable for fambly viewing so Brian Helgeland was replaced by another director, 30% of it was re-shot and completely re-cut to suit a different audience and have a better ending.

Anyway ten years on, spotting demand, Brian Helgeland has released PayBack: Straight Up which is his original version. I ordered this from America a couple of weeks ago and watched it last night.

Regardless of liking the film this is a pretty fascinating thing to see. Different footage, different cuts, different mukin, new scenes and a different ending. If anything it really shows how even little changes like the pace of mukin can totally change the feel and enjoyment of a film.

This DVD also contains a genuinely good 'making of' feature which focuses around not only the director but also the cinematographer Ericson Core who was also very new to the business and really contributed to it.

If anything the story of this film is quite endearing, it is quite a sad tale of a young writer/director with a lot to learn really getting his teeth into something they enjoy and having it taken away from them. But then coming back years later to show their take on things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Well im torrenting it off, its gonna take a while it better be worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:05 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Not worth a torrent Gaz!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:25 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Just got back from Oceans 13

Not a bad film, in fact, quite entertaining. I've not seen 11 or 12 though, so I've no idea about how well it sits in the franchise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 2363Location: ManchesterJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Not worth a torrent Gaz!

Oh come on its only got 4 days left :cry: