<  General Chatting  ~  Combats Potato Thread(Seems everyones posting theres up !:D)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:12 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Have to agree that first one is shocking.

Last two are OK but just the same as the usual Wales ones.

Prefer the two town scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Hehe thought you guys would hate the 1st one, I love it, it went 'wrong' but on screen looked like a painting to me, its got a mystical dreamy painted scene about it.

Yeah trouble is what MWF said, there good, but business as usual as far as im concerned, ill get my 'different' ones up soon, I to like the town scenes, its something different.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:20 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Isn't that the point though dude, were you not on about doing landscape photography? Well, you're starting to get consistently good results with it. Win!

The town ones were interesting, but a little off, for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:26 pm
Matt Wilcox wrote:
Isn't that the point though dude, were you not on about doing landscape photography? Well, you're starting to get consistently good results with it. Win!

The town ones were interesting, but a little off, for me.

Meh guess so, not just landscape, but everything really, just like doing it for , well, I just enjoy taking pics!, trying to think of something different however, there ok, make a nice postcard.

Will show you all the town shots when your next over, it was quite ridiculously hard to expose the sky and lower edge of the frames that are the town, it was at least 4 times brighter there skywards than the uk, on auto mode the cam just made the sky work properly, and the town was jet black, multi seg metering did a slightly better job but no where near what the above shot was, thats the best bit of being somewhere different though, you find new things to engage with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 pm
A couple more, a slightly different take on Corfu here, concentrating on those olive trees:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:55 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I like the first one in BAW. Did you not use an ND filter to compensate for the bright sky Ben?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:01 am
MWF wrote:
I like the first one in BAW. Did you not use an ND filter to compensate for the bright sky Ben?

Used ND grad filters of varying fashion and in different combinations for different shots, however it was so very sunny on some that with 2/3 ND grads it still was to bright for the forground, I got around that by under exposing where necessary to retain detail and then lifting it back up in potatoshop.

Trying to get it as right as possible in the camera, with minimal potatoshop, the sunrise and sunsets are as is off the camera besides cropping on some. Street shots are ones where underexposing was necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 am
I like the street shots, I think if there was more detail in the sky it would make the scene too noisy and fight against the actual subject. From the shadows it looks like you were there close to mid day?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am
MWF wrote:
I like the street shots, I think if there was more detail in the sky it would make the scene too noisy and fight against the actual subject. From the shadows it looks like you were there close to mid day?

Good point. No it was actually 18.18 according to the exif (16.18 UK time, but 2 hours ahead in corfu), and I've just checked my camera and the time and date settings are correct :shock: guess as its closer to the equator the suns higher in the sky for longer ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 am
Strewth :shock:

Not sure what you can do in a situation like that really, the advice usually would be to shoot at a different time of day but lets face it, if you are trying to capture a scene you've got a set time.

I suppose you could only shoot with the sun behind you so the buildings are lit up or only shoot in areas where there's lots of diffused light reflecting off the building walls.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 am
MWF wrote:
Strewth :shock:

Not sure what you can do in a situation like that really, the advice usually would be to shoot at a different time of day but lets face it, if you are trying to capture a scene you've got a set time.

I suppose you could only shoot with the sun behind you so the buildings are lit up or only shoot in areas where there's lots of diffused light reflecting off the building walls.

Indeed, it wasn't a planned photo trip as such though as far as timing goes, me and lou were next to the pool all afternoon and decided wonder on in basically, I have many many more town shots, some late evening as well, pretty cool shots as all the shops light up the streets, ill find them when I get round to it.

EDIT:

2 more, 1st one is the church of st spirodon, corfus patron saint, 2nd is just a market street as night closes, not a great shot, but the town is still alive and kicking until at least 10/11pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:19 pm
Now that last one - THAT is where it's at. fucking awesome shot. Though I would be sorely tempted to play with removing the building in the background and doing some sky replacement there. IT works as is, but it'd just interest me to try that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:45 pm
I like the lower half of the second one, not the top of it though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:45 pm
MWF wrote:
I like the lower half of the second one, not the top of it though.

Exactly what I mean. And exactly why I'd flag this as a great opportunity for sky replacement. In fact I'm almost tempted to have a go myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:06 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
Still don't think it'll work Jimi; it's not the building it's the cold hue... if you want to try and remedy it I'd much sooner suggest masking it up and warming the top off of the shot up - if it's RAW you could do two images with different WB perhaps?

I would've ignored the building and concentrated on the warm shop fronts, they're really nice. No shame in it - we've all done it - but trying to utilise a new ultra wide too much perhaps?