<  General Chatting  ~  Jimi's Photo Thread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:11 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I don't post all my photos in all the same places, so I thought I'd create a thread that gathers them all together and hopefully get some feedback. Please excuse some of the older one's if you've seen them already (newst ones at the top).

Heather, all smiles

Heather, post massage

Through the gate - taken in Snowdonia on Sunday.

Waterfall

Getting the shot

Sea and Rocks

Little brother

Above the cave

While you were sleeping

Walking the line

Driving on the beach

Joel (not on software)

Candel-lit

Last edited by Matt Wilcox on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:54 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
I love the water ones, particularly the Sea on Rocks. :top:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:56 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I think they are all very good pics although I had already seen them as I clicked on your Flickr link in your sig.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:03 am

(and yes, I am also secretly trying to get other people to do more photo stuff!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:06 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Is Heather Ben's girlfriend?

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:11 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:

(and yes, I am also secretly trying to get other people to do more potato stuff!)

Well I'm getting closer to.

Only yesterday I realised the old unwanted flash we have in a box at work is a Vivitar 285. So with some leads I might have sourced good off camera strobe.

The S5600 is now down to £119 at ASDA too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 am
Joey wrote:
Is Heather Ben's girlfriend?

No, she's with Mike - but a different Mike to the one's you know.

Last edited by Matt Wilcox on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 am
Strobes are something I'm looking into at the moment, I've discovered I really like portrait photography, and trying to capture people's emotions. I need flexible lighting for that, so I need to learn about strobes. Half of the terms confuse me atm, I'm busy reading up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:38 am
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:

Only yesterday I realised the old unwanted flash we have in a box at work is a Vivitar 285. So with some leads I might have sourced good off camera strobe.

Vivitar FTW!
If it's a HV (I think) you can also put it on camera... check on the net as some will slowly fry your camera, others won't...

Grab a set of eBay flash triggers (£20) and you're good to go...

I missed out on an absolute bargain SB 25 the other day, stupidly cheap but didn't bid in the end. Eejit...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:39 am
Just get a cheap old flash and try firing it off at things while your camera is on a long exposure.

Word of warning careful sticking some old flashes on modern digi cameras.

I think the crucial thing with a flash is being able to adjust the powah and use it off the camera.

If it's portrait photography you like though I would guess a ring flash gives the best portability and the better ones allow you to adjust the light balance left and right so you can still get moody shadows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:40 am
Dawson wrote:
MWF wrote:

Vivitar FTW!
If it's a HV (I think) you can also put it on camera... check on the net as some will slowly fry your camera, others won't...

Grab a set of eBay flash triggers (£20) and you're good to go...

I missed out on an absolute bargain SB 25 the other day, stupidly cheap but didn't bid in the end. Eejit...

It's not an HV sadly so can't go on the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:40 am
User avatarDr. SuelittlePosts: 1596Location: CheadleJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
I really liked most of those photo's Jimi :D

Some of them felt very peaceful to look at.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 am
Out of interest Daws which of the ebay flash triggers are worth looking at?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:19 am
Thanks Sue :)

Daws, could you do me a favour? I've been pouring over Strobist - but it's just not sinking in. Could you posta thread about the actual kit you use for your flash photography? Strobist confuse me by refering to things by different names, or just by not being entirely clear - why call a strobe a strobe but not a flash? Why recommend one flash but then say it could blow up your camera if you mount it without plastic between the connections?!

Basically - I want to know what sort of kit I need to be researching in order to do off-camera flash photography with my 350D. The only thing Strobist has convinced me about is that I definately want off camera, not on camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:30 am
Jimi if you want a flash for highly personal portrait photography where the subject is dynamic then an off camera flash setup seems too much hassle to me. You'd need to setup the flash for each shot which would mean positioning it and setting the powah each time and if someone was moving around this just wouldn't be realistic.

The way I see it is for a shooting like that you either need to rely on bounce flashing, a ring flash or a hired assistant to run around moving the flash for you.