<  General Chatting  ~  Jimi's Photo Thread

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Excellent - first komono shot is my fave. She's a great model and I think you've done a great job. You wouldn't think these are taken using a flash and that's hard to achieve.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:03 am
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
She is a great model, a fair few of the cool little-moment shots showing personality got ruined by my ineptitude though, sadly.

As for flash, to be honest I'm not sure which had flash and which didn't any more, but I susspect that first kimono one is pure reflector.

Any nice light balance is all TTL magic combined with exposure/flash compensation :)

It's going to be fun learning all this stuff properly! Going to have to order an umbrella though, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:55 am
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Some good shots there Jimi, it is really hard to think of shots on the fly, I tend to have a think through in my head a couple of days before I do any photography now. I go out with some idea of what I want to produce and then have a couple of other quick ideas if that doesn't work. For first attempts these are great, look forward to seeing some more. Hope she has a wardrobe full of outfits for you to shoot.

I think I like the last one most, a little more eye contact would have been nice though.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:09 am
Cheers Matt :)

Yeah, we had about 8 photo's from Flickr we'd selected a couple of weeks before to try and emulate. I'd had a brief look into how they might have been shot, so there was some planning on the go, I knew free-wheeling it wouldn't be great.

Sadly a lack of required equipment (light softener) and appropriate weather for location work (not pissing it down) scuppered every one of them.

She did indeed have a wardrobe of stuff with her, but without creativity it was all a bit futile. Like I say, fun but frustrating weekend! We even swapped sides on the camera - so now we both realise how hard it is on both ends of the thing! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:13 pm
Thought I'd throw up a small bunch of one's that didn't make it. I like 'em, but they just don't make the cut. I don't think the ideas/intent were too bad, just the execution for most of them.

(This was one of the brief bits of sun while we were out walking the dog)

As you can see, took a shed load of shots and very few were good enough. This was what we were working with though:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
2nd one down of the most recently posted shots by a flaming badgers ass country mile with rocket boosters on, fantastic shot, beats the original posted ones for me, it just has personality in it, where the others are good, technically, that one has abit of soul.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:07 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Wouldn't really go that far Ben! Nice to see the other shots though Jimi

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Well thats just what photography is I guess, different likes and stuff. The others were like ok, but if totally honest didnt do tons for me, not saying there bad shots at all, just didnt get much of a reaction persay from me, where as I looked at that one and smiled, its an ace shot.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 am
User avatarDr. SuelittlePosts: 1596Location: CheadleJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am

I quite like this one, it's different. It does remind me of last weeks Apprentice though

I love this one. I'm not sure what it is that I like so much, I think it could be the whole theme.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:14 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Sue wrote:

I quite like this one, it's different. It does remind me of last weeks Apprentice though

Seems to be a pretty standard WTF should I do shot

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:50 pm
There he is, Chris you sexy man! ;)

Cheers Sue, I don't watch the Apprentice but Heath does, maybe that's where the idea came from :)

A lot of the one's above were rejected because I just didn't take them right. I agree with Ben, the second down captures Heath's personality really well - but it's a really bad shot technically, I've had to push the brightness loads, and there's resultant colour issues and all sorts.

With the help of one of the guys at work I've managed to get the software set up for tethering, so in future I'll be able to check basic stuff like motion blur and exposure there and then, rather than think it's ok on that tiny camera screen, when it isn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:52 pm
User avatarDr. SuelittlePosts: 1596Location: CheadleJoined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
Seems to be a pretty standard WTF should I do shot

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

period?

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:33 am
I was kind of hoping Chris was going to have a come back for my period comment so I could post THIS:

But he didn't!! so now I just feel meeeeeean!

but not mean enough to stop sniggering to myself when I see it :mrgreen:

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:03 pm
lol! I like it Sue :D

Here's one from last night:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:05 pm
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
Sue wrote:
I was kind of hoping Chris was going to have a come back for my period comment so I could post THIS:

But he didn't!! so now I just feel meeeeeean!

but not mean enough to stop sniggering to myself when I see it :mrgreen:

LOL! :cry: