<  General Chatting  ~  Jimi's Photo Thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Cheers dude. I was thinking about printing the second one and seeing how it looks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:42 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
go for it, perhaps a little dark at the top, more texture in the clouds perhaps ?, being super finiky though

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:22 pm
Yay! It turns out I definately like portrait photography the best.

Here's some recent stuff.

Justine & Kath on a photography trip to Penrhyn castle.

This years fireworks at Llandudno

Justine & Chris

Chris posing all boyband-like.

Also, it's taken years but I am finally coming 'round to high ISO. The rest were taken at 1600 - which is as high as my 350 will go. Sadly, they were all also under-exposed, despite being mostly wide open. I like the look of the grain, but this is the first time I've actually hit the limits of my equipment. I had no choice but to do grainy in the end.

Justine being Autumnal

Pissed off that this one is blurred.

Justine can't decide if this is looking like she's dead, or whether it's her sex-face. Whatever, I like it.

She models for Vogue don't you know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:28 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Very cool they look really professional.

On the topic of ISO call me crazy mc fly but aren't you shooting a lot of these indoors with strobes?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm
Cheers Chris :)

They are, but in most of these the strobes were not firing. I didn't like the look it was giving for the shot's with Justine.

Actually call me a fucking retard. I didn't even think to dial the ISO down and adjust the aperture to see if I could get a similar feel to those with the strobes firing than with them not. I just chimped and decided it was all too cool and harsh. Shows you how much of a virgin I am when it comes to lighting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:44 pm
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Yeah bare strobes do that, they piss harsh white clinical looking light and shadows everywhere. You've got to diffuse it, break it up and bounce it off things to replicate natural light and that's a black art in itself. You saw my own tests where shooting my garden BBQ in broad daylight with softboxes looked totally unnatural.

An issue I have with my strobes is the sync speed, they will only sync up to around 1/200th of a second which only just makes them fast enough for portrait shoots. As am amateur I'd be happier shooting a lot faster to avoid risking any motion blur at all.

I recently did a shoot up in Scotland and had to do photos of all the staff at a company, I used my first three strobe setup with a back light, very artificial looking but at the same time very flattering.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 pm
Nice dude, yup Steph is an awesome model, will get a couple of samples of mine up as and when can.

As for the strobes not firing you were standing over justine in the studio setup where the leaves were put down, you need to fire your flash to set off the other ones and possibly the detectors on them were not quite picking up your flash as you fired? That and the fact there were 10 people hogging the stage ! lol

Really need to do some sort of ticketing system as the strobes cannot keep up with that many folks takin that many pics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:14 pm
Another issue with not setting off strobes would be shooting with TTL flash metering where it pre-flashes and meters the exposure. This seems to trigger the strobes but they are off for the actual picture exposure. On my 450D you actually can't turn TTL flash off, yet on my G9 you can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:33 pm
MWF wrote:
Another issue with not setting off strobes would be shooting with TTL flash metering where it pre-flashes and meters the exposure. This seems to trigger the strobes but they are off for the actual picture exposure. On my 450D you actually can't turn TTL flash off, yet on my G9 you can.

You see this is odd, I thought this exact thought myself last night, yet when I was on me own prior to everyone getting there, I tried this out, the stobes didnt fire :shock: yet when I took the photo properly, they did, weird some ?

Perhaps it does with other peoples cameras, didnt seem to with mine though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:59 pm
I'd say irregular firing comes down to your original point, the optical trigger on on the strobe not seeing the camera flash firing. Did the lighting conditions or your angle to the strobe sensor change at all when you were shooting later on? If the room went darker that could explain when they started working. Another thing is the sensor being triggered by bounced light, I've had it where an optical sensor is triggered by the bounced light from the flash hitting reflective surface like a white wall before.

Are you all sharing strobes at the photog shoot then?

From my own experience I would seriously recommend going down the wireless radio trigger route, optical slaves just aren't reliable and relatively inflexible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:16 pm
Yeah basically its just a studio setup with 2 strobe/flash guns, background, etc etc

Its more for 'have a go session' so its not super serious and most of the cams are bridge cams or compacts, not SLR, so the strobes detecting flashes is ideal for this thing.

I used the setup earlier in the day for my own shoot, simply borrowed it from the club, as thats what its there for, when I did it I was wired directly into the setup from my camera so problem solved on that part.

Will get a couple examples up now I've gotten over my dissertation scare from earlier, will know by 10pm whether 5 months of work was worth it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm
Yeah I totally understand using the optical trigger then. So you were trying to trigger optically when it wouldn't work but with the sync lead it would? That would make perfect sense if your on camera flash was firing in TTL mode. You need to go into the settings and change the flash to full manual (I'm 99% the 40D would let you do that although Dawsons 20D won't so maybe not)

Anyway sounds like you have bigger things to be concerned about than flash triggers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm
ha yeah, mostly a problem of continuing someones work ....with them not being helpful what so ever, much pestering later hopefully, tonight he will get the code I need to me and the diss will hopefully all come together like a beautifully coming together type thing.

yeah but I swear sometimes when I wasnt wired in it still didnt fire until takin the shot, maybe the light has to reach a certain intensity.

Am waiting for a robot to finish compiling so will upload a couple shots now :)

Hows u anyways mr MWF dude ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:07 pm
combatsquirrel wrote:
As for the strobes not firing you were standing over justine

Ya muppet - I didn't use them as strobe on purpose. I didn't like the light. However [I]I[/I] was a muppet for not using my brain and adjusting the camera to try and get the same koala-tea of light as I was getting in those shots above. But, you know ... brighter.

combatsquirrel wrote:
Really need to do some sort of ticketing system as the strobes cannot keep up with that many folks takin that many pics

Very true

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:52 pm
OK, here are a few from this weekend.

First proper attempts with the strobe, and sadly the weather dictated there was to be no location work. Given the state of my house the only room available was the back room, which is stripped bare for re-decoration.

We did manage to get out for a bit while walking the dog:

This one I'm happiest with:

I was really annoyed that Heather looked fantastic in her oriental dress, and yet neither of us could come up with a pose or shot that did her any justice. These were the only three that vaguely work.

Many things learned from even this little attempt:

1) It's really hard to come up with a good shot on-the-fly. I'll need to properly plan out any photo in future.

2) Got to watch the shutter speed more. A fair number of shots were ruined because of that - there were quarter second exposure aplenty, even at ISO 200.

3) Having only hard light available is not good for portraits. The make-shift diffuser (t-shirt cut in half hung over some ladders) did not work well.

4) I need to be faster on the trigger - quite a few lovely shots of laughing and facial expressions as we talked were missed.

5) On this particular shoot, the best light tool I had was the tri-grip reflector. I have a feeling that was more because of a lack of diffuser than anything, but the reflector's going to be a lot more useful than I'd initially imagined.