<  General Chatting  ~  The MattWaddy Photography Thread:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 587Location: Stanton / DerbyshireJoined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:00 am
Just a few pics, from an area not to far from where I live, it was a pretty dull, overcast day, so I thought I would have a look into water today...C & C's welcome.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:53 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Nice Matt. You can certainly tell it was an overcast day, which doesn't work to your advantage, but I think you've done pretty well with the conditions.

I think the first shot may have been improved by trying a lower vantage point, and/or zooming in on the area of interest a little more. Although the greenery and 'waterfall' look very nice it feels to me as though the rest is a little in danger of being 'dead space'. A bit of zoom and repositioning might also have allowed you to remove the distracting foreground branches which have crept into shot. Of course, that might not have been possible without you standing in the river!

#2 is spot on - the exposure is good and the composition's nice too. I like it a lot, though again I'd have been interested to see a lower shot, perhaps with a little more foreground water too.

The shots I prefer tend to be the ones where you've gone for a lower camera position and more foreground, and I think that lower position works well in combination with your wide angle choice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:19 am
Unfortunatley most of the area down there is water, for the shot you mentioned image 1, was actually as close and as low as I could get. I had to setup 3 fairly large rocks in the water (shallow bit), got my feet a little wet in the process! Well be nice to go down there in the next couple of months when the canapy of the trees is there etc....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:00 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
:top: Some lovely photos Matt, I love waterfalls.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:08 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I personally prefer the overcast light as I feel it is more representative of the scene.

I however aren't keen on the slow shutter speed effect on the water.

4,7,8 & 9 seem great composition to me. Particularly number 7 which seems to be showing off a very wide angle lens?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:15 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
Agreed on the overcast thing - you have to work with what you've got. It was an overcast day, it works - the end result is a nice representation of what you photographed.

It's a misnomer to think that everything should be shot "correct" to an "ideal"

Nice one Matt.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:20 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Something I have learnt recently is that soft ambient light can be better than harsh direct light.

I do appreciate that with bright summer light you get lots of nice shadows from overhead branches but personally I feel it results in everything looking too highly contrasting and the details in textures being lost.

I believe, in summer, a lot of scenery photographers work from 5am till 7am and will pack everything away until the evening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:24 am
User avatarJoeyannePosts: 6454Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
4,7,8 & 9 seem great composition to me. Particularly number 7 which seems to be showing off a very wide angle lens?

7 stood out to me too, I really like that one.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:29 am
User avatarHulkaruthersPosts: 5017Location: London, The SouthJoined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:00 am
MWF wrote:
I believe, in summer, a lot of scenery photographers work from 5am till 7am and will pack everything away until the evening.

For sure - dawn and dusk - during the day you are dealing with too much shadow and highlight - really harsh conditions. Shooting anything during the day with too much sun is difficult. A nice layer of cloud really diffuses the light - and that is for sure the best.

The light is soooo much better at either end of the day.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:07 am
User avatarL33t n3rdPosts: 765Location: O-townJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
Did you get the water to blur together like that by leaving your exposure open for longer, like when you see streaks of lights from car tail lights?

(Ph0t0 N00b)

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:46 am
Proteus wrote:
Did you get the water to blur together like that by leaving your exposure open for longer, like when you see streaks of lights from car tail lights?

(Ph0t0 N00b)

Yeah it's a slower shutter speed effect to show the water is moving, but too long ends up making the water look like ice imo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:55 am
User avatarL33t n3rdPosts: 765Location: O-townJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
ah ok cool, that makes sense.

my friends enjoy lighting big balls of steel wool and then flinging it about with a slow exposure camera...does look kinda nifty :)

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:37 pm
Yeah that's kinda done to death to be honest. Although on Fickr there are some amazing light painting images people have got.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:45 pm
Here are a couple from the weekend, playing around with some extension tubes. I was struggling with a very small DOF with some of these, especially the dead spider. But have now realised that using a smaller apature like f/22 helps a great deal with extension tubes.

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I love the colours on 1 and 2 - fantastic!

Indeed, it took me a little while to 'get' DOF. Part of my problem was mis-understanding the terms. A shallow DOF turned out to be where only a very narrow depth was in focus - where I had always thought that such shots had a 'big depth of field' because the effect was so pronounced. whoops! Once I got that figured out it was easy to realize that high f values (perversely, small apertures) produced shots where everything was in focus, and small f's (large f numbers) produced 'blurry backgrounds'. Yep - I've found photography terms rather confusing.