<  General Chatting  ~  The Linkdump [via humour bypass, science-ville]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 pm
User avatarBiggest Nappy EvaPosts: 6922Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
they throw a little ripple out, but they bounce once per sale supposedly. You can see a couple which bounce only once, but a lot bounce a few times.

I just know it puts the amount of apps into perspective (the wall couldn't fit all 50,000 on it).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:09 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 1558Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 am
Matt Wilcox wrote:

The dudes cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm
User avatarItsukiPosts: 4790Location: TeanJoined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:00 am
The App Store is impressive, I won't argue there! It perhaps needs a bit more structure now there's so many apps - and from my experience there are a LOT of apps that get terrible ratings but will be bought regardless because at 59p it's worth a punt , which puts a dampener on part of the impressiveness I guess - but on the whole I think it's been a huge part of the iPhone experience...

I just get tricked by the visuals... perhaps a black background with darkened apps that flash when they get bought would look more accurate, but I'm just being a picky arse :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:37 am
User avatarCridaperPosts: 13970Location: WolverhamptonJoined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 am
I think Itunes will be getting reviewed, they will be releasing contractual payments soon which is likely to bring in a swarm of new apps which require monthly subscriptions.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 am
Evolution is an awesome thing. Japanese honey bees have a really surprising way of dealing with Giant Hornet scouts, as the bee's can't damage the hornet with their stingers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apis_cerana_japonica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:59 pm
So according to Tehran websites there are riots in many major Iranian cities, the opposition leader has been arrested, and all telephone communication, SMS and GPRS into the country has been cut off.

Not a sniff of any of that news on BBC News 24 I see.

Twitter's a-fucking-buzz with it.

http://tehranbureau.com/2009/06/13/mousavi-letter/

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/ ... onstrators

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 am
Looking more and more like this is the new Olympus Micro 4/3rds camera, the EP-1. Looks bloody ace, if this works remotely like a decent camera I am IN :cry:

*Dribbles*

Plus, best looking flash evAr? So retro...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:29 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 103872.stm

2,500 year old bird nest. Which is still in use today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:30 pm
iPhone 3GS camera examples

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyi/sets ... 833958006/

I love the focus system it uses - just touch on the screen where you want focus and there is where you get focus. Smart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 pm
Matt Wilcox wrote:
iPhone 3GS camera examples

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyi/sets ... 833958006/

I love the focus system it uses - just touch on the screen where you want focus and there is where you get focus. Smart.

Saw that Flickr set the other day; the guy must be such an Apple fanboy or just a general idiot.

First, you can't describe the new 3GS camera as "Awesome" in a one word sentence for extra effect and then in the very next sentence admit that it's "not the greatest optical hardware you can get on a phone". Despite his utter shock at the iPhone's ability to spot meter I'm pretty sure the last SE I had - if not the one before also - did spot metering... EEE GADS! I also hate to break it to those in the Apple bubble, but Scott's HTC Touch (released long before the 3GS) has touch to focus, and - on this I could be wrong - I believe Sony P&Ss (some of the W range?) have had touch screen LCDs usable for quite some time now...

I'm not being anti-Apple, either to look "cool" or "ironic" seeing as I have an iPhone; neither am I having a paddy because I can't get the new 3GS. I just wish people wouldn't a) try to justify the ridiculous 3GS's pricetag over the now-almost-free 3G (OMG! A COMPASS! JUST WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED IN A PHONE!) and b) be completely closed to other phones and technologies, boldly claiming Apple's revolutionary status on a bunch of stuff already bouncing around in the marketplace...

And don't even get me started on that "BONUS! You can do HDR" comment at the bottom... idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:28 pm
But Daws - it IS awesome, and it ISNT the best hardware ever. Most people won't give a rats ass how technically the image koala-tea stnds up against anything else - all they see if a final image and a pleasent experience. So his points are right. He isn't saying "go buy one noooowwww!", or claiming it's the first to do these things. It doesn't matter what was first either.

As with almost everything Apple - it's not that they have cutting edge tech or anything; it's that Apple are usually the first to create a seemless, extremely easy to use, and very well thought out version of some cool tech. Hell Win phones have had functionality the 3GS only just got for years - but Win phones are for nerds, not casual users. etc.

As for the 3GS - the point isn't really the new audio controls and compass, so much as what those things enable and the fact that the phone itself is half as fast again as the regular 3G, with twice the system RAM. In 6 months time there will be apps that only work on 3GS because the 3G doesn't have enough system RAM to cope.

With regard to price - damn right it's expensive, but so what if it is? You aren't buying a phone, you're buying a device that has very high specs and extreme versatility, of which the phone part is only a small detail. If people want a very servicable phone they have plenty of options - but people buying iPhones aren't after just a phone are they? So expect to pay more because you get a lot more.

Really don't get people bitching about how expensive iPhones are. Don't buy one then.